Vaughn SLR Demo Set: Got questions?

Mroy31

So I actually got a response from a Vaughn rep in Southern Ontario and he dropped this set of SLRs off today for me to test drive for a bit. @Hills maybe there's hope for you yet :P

The pads are 34 +2, which is roughly a size down from my current 1S size Large. I wanted to try a size down because of how high the pads sit, and actually demo'd a 35 +3 set of V7s (only demo set they had) at a place in Brockville that has a mini rink for goalie schools and is a Vaughn dealer. Without knee pads on, my knees were basically at the bottom of the knee block, so that confirmed 34 was probably good for me. It's weird because my leg measurements always point to 35" pads, but I guess I strap them so they play higher in the bfly. 

Got any questions? I'll be skating with them Sundays and Thursdays for a couple weeks. The pads don't say they are the pro carbon model, but they have the magnetic clip that is standard on pro carbons. 

I'm currently deciding between SLRs, Optiks, or 2S in the spring/summer, so this is my first demo set to help decide. 

20171208_204854.jpg

20171208_204751.jpg

20171208_204812.jpg

20171208_204833.jpg

@TheGoalNet Unfortunately I don't have a scale precise enough to tell a difference between the 2 in terms of weight. To a 10th of a lb they are the same, 5.5lbs. Kind of an old scale though, so all I would really take away from that test is that your overall weight with your gear on probably won't be noticeably different. Not precise enough to claim bragging rights in marketing material. 

That got me curious though, and comparing them side by side for the first time I found that the 1S size L and SLR 34 +2 are basically the same dimensions. Makes sense that 35 +1(ish) and 34 +2 would have the same overall profile, but there is maybe a fraction of an inch difference where the overall height and knee block placement are just a bit higher on the 1S, so this may not be as drastic of a size difference as I was thinking it would be. Still have to see how they play on the ice though.

@CJ17 my demo with the V7s wasn't very long, they were a custom set that belong to one of the instructors and he basically got stock leather straps, no RRC or velcro leg channel strap. So once I realized I wouldn't get to try the newer strapping and they were immediately too big, I didn't do much more than a few bfly slides, some t pushes and crease movement. Nice pads, just not what I was looking to get into. 

Closer look at the RRC strap. Modified slightly from the leather Scrivens Professor strap, the nylon/Nash strap is the only part connected to the pad. The buckle is attached to elastic straps threaded through the leather portion of the strap. I've pictured them at their tightest and loosest. 

Not super new info, but trying to get more in depth on certain parts while I've got them. I'll update with how I prefer to wear it, likely a bit on the tighter side. 

20171209_204255.jpg

20171209_204229.jpg

20171209_204139.jpg

Initial Impression Post

OK, so it's been one skate. There are a couple things I can answer directly, some others will take a while. 

1. Sliding

It's not CORTech, it's not Primo, it's Jenpro. So they aren't going to slide like the 1S or the Optik. The only time I really noticed it though was bfly slides from a stopped position. I did notice no oversliding in desperation moves though. They do have a bindingless sliding surface, so it's balanced and as low friction as it can be. 

2. Strapping

This was what I loved about the pads. The RRC strap is basically as advertised. I had it tighter than I do my modified calf strap on my 1S, but there were no rotation issues, the pads never felt like they were moving around on my legs. The problem I have with the strap on the 1S is that it is too low, so it kind of moves up  my leg as I get into my stance, like another thing to think about when getting ready for a play. 

The other straps are pretty much all I need on a pad. Knee strap can go to the calf or the knee, outside knee wing doesn't get in the way. The leg channel strap has some variability, not much, but you can get it a little more snug if you like. (Could also add more velcro to the strap, but let's not get into mods right now ;)) The 1S strap doesn't really have any variability, it's basically just advertising with the logo on it. Optiks have a similar strap to the 1S, but they have the smart x strapping underneath, so it's less of an issue. I don't even bother with the bootstrap. 

@TheGoalNet I'd say I wear my calf strap looser than you did on your 1S, and there is more room to tighten the RRC strap than where I settled, so you can still get the pad pretty snug. 

I was worried that the size wasn't as different from my 1S as I was hoping to try, but I think the softer boot and secure strapping made the 34 +2 the right size for me. Still want to try a Medium set of 1S/1X/2S, but these are the size I'd get if I went Vaughn.  

The gloves were good, nothing special to report yet. 

The one thing I can say for sure is the I am definitely going to get a new set next year, simply for a more traditional sliding surface vs my current 1S.

20171210_211225.jpg

3 hours ago, McElligott35 said:

how was the glove? 

The fit is pretty good.  The strapping is fairly simple but does the job, always felt secure and closes pretty well.  That is to be expected considering how much use it's had as a demo glove though.  I'm not a glove-break geek, so I can't get too deep on that.

I also didn't have a lot of shots to the glove in the first skate, so these are just initial impressions but... The pocket feels great, clean catches are very clean.  The palm of the glove does give an initial feeling of more of a blocking glove.  I wasn't finding shots around the palm/fingers were being funneled into the glove at all, but it was one skate and not a large sample size.

14 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

The fit is pretty good.  The strapping is fairly simple but does the job, always felt secure and closes pretty well.  That is to be expected considering how much use it's had as a demo glove though.  I'm not a glove-break geek, so I can't get too deep on that.

I also didn't have a lot of shots to the glove in the first skate, so these are just initial impressions but... The pocket feels great, clean catches are very clean.  The palm of the glove does give an initial feeling of more of a blocking glove.  I wasn't finding shots around the palm/fingers were being funneled into the glove at all, but it was one skate and not a large sample size.

Do you have any experience with the past ventus gloves? I'm curious to see if there's any real difference between the LT90 and the SLR.

8 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Do you have any experience with the past ventus gloves? I'm curious to see if there's any real difference between the LT90 and the SLR.

Nope, the last Vaughn glove I used was a Vision model like 16 years ago.  I'm coming from a 1S, One100, Vapor lineup of gloves most recently.  They are different gloves for sure.

39 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

How’s the stiffness?  I’m in RGT’s right now and that’s the max stiffness I can do in a pad. 

The SLR’s have always intrigued me.  But I still love the weight savings on the Warrior stuff.  

They'll be stiffer. RGT's are kinda neat since they have an ok amount of torsional flex. SLR's will have a similar boot and knee break flex, but they'll still feel stiffer.

I'm in some vaughn V6 2200 pads now,looking to get into the slr but worried there too stiff and i know the boot angle is higher,is this a pad that is going to ve similar to what im in now or is it going to be a huge change?also im really intrigued with the new bauers 2s,is that maybe a similer fit to my 2200's

On 12/11/2017 at 3:58 PM, TheGoalNet said:

@Mroy31  - you should demo Optik too. If you miss CORtech, Optik might be right in the middle for you 

Optiks are next on my list to track down, maybe The Goalie Crease will have a demo set. 

On 12/11/2017 at 5:06 PM, Vaughnlife79 said:

I'm in some vaughn V6 2200 pads now,looking to get into the slr but worried there too stiff and i know the boot angle is higher,is this a pad that is going to ve similar to what im in now or is it going to be a huge change?also im really intrigued with the new bauers 2s,is that maybe a similer fit to my 2200's

If you're worried about the SLRs being too stiff, I don't think it will be an issue. I don't know the exact specs on this set, but I suspect they may have a double internal break. It's relatively easy to get a real good S shape, but they spring back pretty straight. Roughly the same profile as the 1S at rest, just much more flexible. 

A look at the glove strapping, pretty straight forward. One detail I like about Vaughn (admittedly not a huuuuge value add, but an appreciated detail) is the loop they stitch into the end of their nylon straps. My SLR pants have 3 buckles (each end of the internal belt and then an external belt) and the loops are nice for easy tightening. 

The closure feels like it's broken in more like a finger closure, but almost has a second break option like the Optik. Not sure if that's intentional or just a bunch of different hands/people breaking it in. 

20171213_105520.jpg

5 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Does the Scrivens strap interfere with knee pads? And does it not make bending your knee a bit difficult or uncomfortable?

I've tried the SLR Pro Carbons, and it doesn't - I really, really like the RRC strap. Very comfortable, and really adds a "next level" of connected feel to the pad.

3 minutes ago, Murray said:

I've tried the SLR Pro Carbons, and it doesn't - I really, really like the RRC strap. Very comfortable, and really adds a "next level" of connected feel to the pad.

@RichMan I completely agree with this. 2 skates and I'm sold on this strapping. I'm wearing the 1S gen knee pads and they don't interfere at all, the strap sits really nicely on the top of the calf. 

37 minutes ago, RichMan said:

So, do you wear it a little slack, snug or slightly tight? And does it allow sufficient rotation during b-fly movements?

I wear it pretty snug, not as tight as it could go but definitely tighter than the mid point of the strap, but the elastic in the strap let's the pad move pretty freely.  It's a bit hard to describe, but where it sits on the calf is like a balance point where the pad is free to move and rotate but returns easily back to its neutral position. 

I've had more rotation issues wearing my 1S pads this tight. 

*Sliding update*

My Sunday hockey is at a rink with notoriously soft ice, and when on normal ice I didn't notice the issue with b-fly sliding from a static position. Still some extra drag near the end of the hour with a bunch of snow, like any Jenpro pad. 

• 1 month later...

Gave the pads back to the Vaughn rep last week.  I actually switched back to my 1S set a couple weeks ago because I just missed playing in them.

Final Thoughts:

• The strapping is great, RRC is the real deal.  The calf wrap strap could use a bit more adjustability but works just fine.
  • The pads play pretty similar to my 1S, stiff pad, hot rebounds, but still more of a "traditional" style/feel of pad.
  • I'm not much of a glove nerd, but there was really nothing wrong with the SLR gloves.  Would have liked to try the double T glove, but ultimately the 1S glove fits my hand/style better.  Blocker is good, no complaints, but nothing stood out either.

I'm talking to the Goalie Crease to set up a demo of some Optiks, also trying to demo some Medium Bauer pads, then will be making my decision.  Likely Bauer or Brian's though.  

If I hadn't been in the 1S set already, or was really attached to a "traditional" style of pad, I might go with the SLR's.  But I'm too attached to the next-gen stuff.

PS: The Vaughn rep had a set of VE8's in his car when I gave the SLR's back.  We chatted briefly, just my impressions of the SLR's mostly, and he mentioned he preferred the SLR's to the VE8's.  Take that for what it's worth, he wasn't really trying very hard to sell me on either.

Archived