Jump to content

Warrior G6


coopaloop1234
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 7/30/2021 at 6:07 PM, bunnyman666 said:

Wouldn’t it be fair to say the jumps up to G3 were quantum leaps and G4 and above were evolutions?

I think quantum leaps is a bit much, but other than that, I think that is a fair assessment.

I think the issue is that everything Warrior released after 2017 (GT release) hasn't been revolutionary, while the competition brought out the big guns.

Warrior released the G4s in 2018, same as year Premier 2 and Bauer 2S.

G4s had Airslide and Hypercomp and some tweaks to the leg channel.

P2s had some huge improvements - a much lighter core and updated strapping, plus some smaller tweaks - updated knee landing material, softer boot, Speedskin.

Bauer came out with the 2S - updated CorTech skin, updated knee and calf and some other tweaks.

Since G4, Warrior has put out GT2 (Hypercomp and what else?) and G5 (CoverEdge+, core tweak and strapping tweak). Meanwhile CCM has put out EF4 - another pad with a lot of improvements over its previous incarnation.

Bauer has recently released the Ultrasonic and Hyperlites, which have been game changers with their knee systems.

TL;DR - IMO, Warrior needs to shake things up by making some large, tangible improvements to their gear. Other manufacturers have been overtaking them for a while now.

On 7/30/2021 at 5:46 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

Doesn’t help that when you live in a hockey community like Texas everyone wants the shiniest and newest and best looking. They don’t give a damn about performance. Don’t get me wrong I love looking good as much as the next tender but if the pad sucks what good does it do? In Texas it’s super frustrating because the other guys selling gear at our store don’t push for warrior in the slightest. Everyone pushes ccm or bauer as comfortable vs performance (respectively). Warrior is constantly looked down upon at our store and throughout the hockey community sadly. Hoping that a product some day soon changes that. I imagine they hoped the helmet would be that product and I gotta say we’ve sold almost as many F1 buckets as we have Bauers. 
Apologies for rambling. 

If we're talking about performance, I don't think Warriors are the best performing pad/catch/block out there - sticks are a different beast.

I've had GT1, GT2, EF4, Ultrasonic, EF5 and have an order in for Hyperlites. In terms of performance, my Ultrasonic set has blown everything I have ever had out of the water. To me, it is no comparison. My goalie co-workers all seem to agree that other brands perform better than Warriors. One co-worker didn't like his GT2s and another with his G4s.

Our store seems to have a similar viewpoint regarding Warrior, except I think we've only sold a handful of F1s.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/30/2021 at 7:46 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

Doesn’t help that when you live in a hockey community like Texas everyone wants the shiniest and newest and best looking. They don’t give a damn about performance. Don’t get me wrong I love looking good as much as the next tender but if the pad sucks what good does it do? In Texas it’s super frustrating because the other guys selling gear at our store don’t push for warrior in the slightest. Everyone pushes ccm or bauer as comfortable vs performance (respectively). Warrior is constantly looked down upon at our store and throughout the hockey community sadly. Hoping that a product some day soon changes that. I imagine they hoped the helmet would be that product and I gotta say we’ve sold almost as many F1 buckets as we have Bauers. 
Apologies for rambling. 

The lack of product in the NHL could be a factor in why Warrior is looked down upon. It’s an unwritten rule to many that no pros using it equals no good. It’s quite silly to me, but there are a few goalies I know who have written off Warrior because of no NHL usage, despite Warrior’s publicly known deliberate strategy. One guy told me “they are like one of those off brands and they’re not even made here.”

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Via GoalieGearNerd on Instagram. 
DB9CAD6D-F373-4778-B01B-68CB2D2BCEAC.thumb.jpeg.72770f6087d8bd11a1b932723ea25a4a.jpeg

An inner calf wrap pretty much sells me on wearing warrior next season. As y’all know my biggest and pretty much only gripe with the G5 set that can’t be changed via custom is the fact that the calf wrap didn’t work very well for me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some terrific pictures of the new sliding surface and strapping setup on G6 pads as well as what looks to be a new backhand on the glove. Calf wrap appears to have an inner wrap as well as more adjustment for the outer wrap than previous. Airslide looks to have been greatly reduced on the sliding edge of the pad. A full height outer roll also seems to continue if anyone besides myself cares.

VNBB5213.jpg

VNBB7036.jpg

VNBB5086.jpg

Blocker also seems to have new finger protection

VNBB6094.jpg

The more I see of this line the more I like it

https://hcredstar.com/blog/2021/08/07/2021-08-07-vityaz-1-kunlun-red-star-5-game-gallery/

Edited by ThatCarGuy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

VNBB5213.jpg

 

Looks like they added some material to the knee cradle - maybe to keep one's knee from sliding off the backside?

The gray portion on the G5 pad below seems to be raised/taller on the G6.

g5backside.png.11cc5a54220d787e04757cd4f68f932f.png

Looks like there's some sort of professor strap going on as well.

Does the goalie have some sort of Lundy loop through the back of his socks, too?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just hope the catcher has a set angle like the GT line. I'd also love to see the knee strap/buckle from the knee lock added to the calf portion as a safety to prevent the velcro to come undone during scrambling or run-ins. 

@Kirk3190, when will we get the launch info and gear details?

Edited by RichMan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, RichMan said:

I just hope the catcher has a set angle like the GT line. I'd also love to see the knee strap/buckle from the knee lock added to the calf portion as a safety to prevent the velcro to come undone during scrambling or run-ins. 

@Kirk3190, when will we get the launch info and gear details?

It doesn't look like you'll get your wish on the calf nylon buckle, but I gotta ask, is that something that has happened to you?

I've been in some good scrambles and that velcro has held on tight and I've never been worried about it coming loose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

It doesn't look like you'll get your wish on the calf nylon buckle, but I gotta ask, is that something that has happened to you?

I've been in some good scrambles and that velcro has held on tight and I've never been worried about it coming loose.

Huh? You've been able to strap the nylon buckle down to your calf since at least the G3s, and you can see the Kunlun Redstar goalie above did exactly that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

Huh? You've been able to strap the nylon buckle down to your calf since at least the G3s, and you can see the Kunlun Redstar goalie above did exactly that.

The stock length of the nylon knee strap was not long enough to make it there without excessive tightness, from my experience. I had to open up the knee stack velcro and shift the position of the strap end to get it to work - ymmv.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

Huh? You've been able to strap the nylon buckle down to your calf since at least the G3s, and you can see the Kunlun Redstar goalie above did exactly that.

I think he was referring to adding a strap that goes across the calf with the large velcro strap.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

It doesn't look like you'll get your wish on the calf nylon buckle, but I gotta ask, is that something that has happened to you?

I've been in some good scrambles and that velcro has held on tight and I've never been worried about it coming loose.

It hasn't happened to me as I haven't had the chance to play in a set yet, but we all remember this happening to guys wearing Bauer pads last year and since we haven't seen Warrior pads in the show since Roloson, one (myself) can kinda speculate, whether I'm wrong or not, but your testimony seems to argue against that possibility.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, RichMan said:

It hasn't happened to me as I haven't had the chance to play in a set yet, but we all remember this happening to guys wearing Bauer pads last year and since we haven't seen Warrior pads in the show since Roloson, one (myself) can kinda speculate, whether I'm wrong or not, but your testimony seems to argue against that possibility.

Roloson's "Warrior" pads were heavily modded and shared very little with the retail pad.
https://ingoalmag.com/news/ingoal-insider-a-closer-look-at-dwayne-rolosons-pads/

Roloson retired in 2012.

Gustavsson's Warriors "malfunctioning" in a game was a hotly debated topic 7 years ago (article published 2014). 
https://ingoalmag.com/gear/setting-record-straight-gustavssons-warrior-pad/

Not sure how modded they were, but he doesn't seem too picky about gear.
https://www.prostockhockey.com/blog/getting-to-know-jonas-gustavsson/

Warrior hasn't been in the NHL since.

Warrior pads half the wrap and calf lock to keep the shin locked in.  I'm pretty sure those Bauer mishaps were due relying on only the elastic on the knee and calf.  Also, I wanna say a player got jammed up with the goalie on the play I'm thinking of, and it was actually a good thing the pad came off...  There might be more instances?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

So apparently the knee block sliding portion of the pad is an almost hard plastic. Not 100% sure on this, but it's what little information I was able to squeeze out.

Which would mean these pads are NHL illegal. Don't think Warrior is attempting their entry into the NHL any time soon.

Also, the GT line is going to be replaced with something else, but it's still not released yet to retailers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I'm not familiar with that rule but it does make me intrigued about how well the pads may slide considering that's pretty much what bauer was doing on 1s, 1x, and 2s if I remember correctly. 

I asked that, but apparently there's a difference as the Bauer stuff wasn't just plastic.

The details I have are fuzzy at best. But that, with the inside calf wrap seem to be the only real things to note.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I asked that, but apparently there's a difference as the Bauer stuff wasn't just plastic.

The details I have are fuzzy at best. But that, with the inside calf wrap seem to be the only real things to note.

As far as leg pads go I agree. Glove looks to have minor, mostly aesthetic, changes to the backhand while the blocker sees to have molded, less clunky, finger protection and a new board shape. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Which would mean these pads are NHL illegal. Don't think Warrior is attempting their entry into the NHL any time soon.

Good, it'll help keep their prices down.

In Europe, Warrior is pretty big. Great stuff, and alot cheaper than CCM, Bauer, etc..

I don't know their numbers or business model, but I think they might be focusing more on Europe and not caring too much about the N.American market.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, estogoalie said:

Good, it'll help keep their prices down.

In Europe, Warrior is pretty big. Great stuff, and alot cheaper than CCM, Bauer, etc..

I don't know their numbers or business model, but I think they might be focusing more on Europe and not caring too much about the N.American market.

I don't see a whole lot of Warrior stuff out my way, but I think I'm going to be sticking with them for the foreseeable future. G6 might be worth upgrading from G4s. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, estogoalie said:

Good, it'll help keep their prices down.

In Europe, Warrior is pretty big. Great stuff, and alot cheaper than CCM, Bauer, etc..

I don't know their numbers or business model, but I think they might be focusing more on Europe and not caring too much about the N.American market.

It's clear they're focusing on the Euro/KHL leagues over anything in North America.

Doesn't help that Bauer and CCM have the NA market pinned down from NHL to Junior leagues.

12 hours ago, insertnamehere said:

I don't see a whole lot of Warrior stuff out my way, but I think I'm going to be sticking with them for the foreseeable future. G6 might be worth upgrading from G4s. 

I see quite a bit, more than Brians honestly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm surprised I haven't seen any logo-less Warrior gear in the Worlds, be it Juniors, Men's or Women's. Bauer has always had a stronghold during those competitions.

Edited by RichMan
Typos, brain farts loll
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

I'm surprised I haven't seen any logo-less Warrior gear in the Worlds, be it Juniors, Men's or Women's. Bauer has always had a stronghold during those competitions.

Maybe not in the top tier, since there's alot of NHL guys there, but if you look at the lower levels Div.1-3, you'll definitley see more.

...just picking one country purely at random ;)

 

koitmaa.jpg

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, insertnamehere said:

I don't see a whole lot of Warrior stuff out my way, but I think I'm going to be sticking with them for the foreseeable future. G6 might be worth upgrading from G4s. 

Where are you, in the UK? I see alot of Warrior in Germany and Finland for some reason (I think they might have some offices there?). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...