Most protective chesty

Short intro. 

I'm 5 10 185 72" wing span

I have been a decent ball hockey goalie my entire life. 

In 2014 I played about 25 times on ice and loved it. Got a neck injury at work and was not able to play for years again until now. 

So I'm a semi beginner on ice and looking for advice on a chesty. 

In 2014 I used a few different units but ended up settling with a Bauer PRO (black and orange looking one) because it was super protective and I hate getting hurt in the net. 

Now in 2021 I had an older Bauer 9000 reactor and it didn't fit right. Was a medium and I was starting to feel shots. 

Went and bought a Vaughn VE8 Procarbon size medium. Love it honestly mobility wise. Was not happy with the lack of shoulder protection and arm padding so I sent it in and got them to "beef it up and add a second shoulder pad. They did so and I really like it. 

But recently I am finding I get caught in odd places where it could be actual big trouble if it keeps up and I think it's the size of my chesty more than the actual protection. 

I want the most protective chest protector available, the most appropriate size, and literally don't care about cost. I am lucky to make a lot of money at this point in my life and am on a total spending binge for goalie gear. But I can't even focus when playing knowing I might get stung with a bad shot. Tonight I was reaching far for a shot and it hit me right on the front of the wrist and it's been sore for hours. Could barely finish the night. It sucks and all I want to do is wear a bomb proof chesty knowing K am covered. Maybe it's the size also O don't know.

Where should I look? 

I also apologize of this is rambling because I'm substantially high on the beer count tonight 

Brown and Passau are the ones I think of first. Both do custom and have those extra beefed models.

I hear you with those long reach saves leading to getting hit to the wrist. I've had a few of those and that is something you probably can't do anything with C/A as the sleeve isn't gonna stretch out when your arm does.

There will always be those odd shots that pass by any protection, but that's more to the hockey itself.

Brown user here, dreaming for a new Brown with all you can add for extra protection. Though, the Passau Pro pack is also tempting 😆

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Desert Tendy said:

Brown hands down. It’s custom sizing and bomb proof.   I’m surprised you still have issues with your Vaughn after it was beefed up.  If you wanna sell your medium chesty I’ll buy it.  

Its not really about the actual chest protector now I'm pretty sure it's just too small. I didn't put enough thought into it when i bought it and the guy there told me medium would be good. I took a weird shot to the ribs the other day because i wear it really lose (because it's a bit small) so last night I decided to wear it normal and tighter and my arms were too long. I've been sort of procrastinating getting another because i like this one but it's time now. 

On the Vaughn site it says large is 70-72" reach and I'm 72-72.5 reach 

5 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

Brown and Passau are the ones I think of first. Both do custom and have those extra beefed models.

I hear you with those long reach saves leading to getting hit to the wrist. I've had a few of those and that is something you probably can't do anything with C/A as the sleeve isn't gonna stretch out when your arm does.

There will always be those odd shots that pass by any protection, but that's more to the hockey itself.

Brown user here, dreaming for a new Brown with all you can add for extra protection. Though, the Passau Pro pack is also tempting 😆

I have the Passau ball hockey one and I love it. I might look at theirs. Looking today though but i hate how you can't try them on. I might ask if I can buy two sizes and return one 

2 hours ago, Maxpower29 said:

I have the Passau ball hockey one and I love it. I might look at theirs. Looking today though but i hate how you can't try them on. I might ask if I can buy two sizes and return one 

If you have a Passau C/A already and it's fitting you well then you should have all the required measurements for Passau to build you a hockey version that fits the same? Unless there is something really different in them? Maybe ask Passau directly, or some of the Passau people could put in a comment here?

1 hour ago, ArdeFIN said:

If you have a Passau C/A already and it's fitting you well then you should have all the required measurements for Passau to build you a hockey version that fits the same? Unless there is something really different in them? Maybe ask Passau directly, or some of the Passau people could put in a comment here?

I'm checking Brown first actually. I like the sound of theirs. Sent in a request this morning actually for one. See where it takes me 

A lot of opinions on C/A's. My getting older choice would be the original RBK Premier 1. I currently use the CCM AB Pro (an upgraded clone, essentiually) and I really enjoy it. This thing will be hard to get rid of when that year comes..

I've never used a Brown C/A but I've always heard good things about how much of a tank it is. 

2 hours ago, Snowman30 said:

Bauer units are pretty protective, you can custom order any way you want and get it  extra beefed up in areas you want. The also pretty mobile too. I have both Brown and a pro return Bauer 1s and the protection is great.

20210716_135632.jpg

20210716_135629.jpg

20210716_135621.jpg

If the 1X is any indication of how nice these updated units are, one would be very happy with one of the Vapor units. I am very happy with my 1X Vapor. I have felt a few shots, but never a stinger.

Brown will last the longest like 10+ years , its also most expensive, hottest and heaviest bc it uses plastic (vs hd foam) and low density foam.  Really no need for this in this time and age.

and everything else is :

1 to 3-5 years depending level and usge bc the hd foam wil breakdown.

C/A now are lighter and more protective now but less durability.  pretty much disposable after 1 season for pros and 2 seasons for competitive hockey.

Ordering the Brown one right now but have some questions. 

The larger shoulder caps, are they worth getting? Pros/cons?

What is the major difference between the segmented and one piece floaters? pros/cons?

Im getting the rib protection because 2 skates ago I took one off the bare rip and was lucky it was a slower shot, still bruised bad. Any major reason I shouldnt?

I chose the extra bisep protection because hell why not. I hate the hockey I play sometimes because a beginner can come up on me and take 9 a 30 mph shots, then the 10th is from an ex JR player shooting at NHL speed. Catches me off guard all the time when your not ready and its not fun getting stung

I dont usually tuck mine in but I was considering the suspender strap holders incase I decide to. Is this stupid?

I chose not to get the shoulder lifts because I hate when they bother my mask. Should I reconsider?

The fighting strap seems unnecessary, or is it good to keep it in place? never used one before.

Anyway if anyone has time to read this book I wrote and make decisions for me I appreciate it 

2 hours ago, Maxpower29 said:

What is the major difference between the segmented and one piece floaters? pros/cons?

Im getting the rib protection because 2 skates ago I took one off the bare rip and was lucky it was a slower shot, still bruised bad. Any major reason I shouldnt?

I chose the extra bisep protection because hell why not. I hate the hockey I play sometimes because a beginner can come up on me and take 9 a 30 mph shots, then the 10th is from an ex JR player shooting at NHL speed. Catches me off guard all the time when your not ready and its not fun getting stung

I dont usually tuck mine in but I was considering the suspender strap holders incase I decide to. Is this stupid?

I chose not to get the shoulder lifts because I hate when they bother my mask. Should I reconsider?

The fighting strap seems unnecessary, or is it good to keep it in place? never used one before.

Anyway if anyone has time to read this book I wrote and make decisions for me I appreciate it 

Larger shoulder floaters will give coverage at expense of mobility.

It sounds like you just may want to get the russian spec upgrade.

I got a 2400CA which has built in extra rib protection with russian spec. It is pretty mobile once broken in.

Get the suspender straps if thats your thing, i dont tuck and just tie down and its fine.

Skip lifts, russian spec covers bicep protection. Fight strap probably skip.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MangoRhinehart said:

Larger shoulder floaters will give coverage at expense of mobility.

It sounds like you just may want to get the russian spec upgrade.

I got a 2400CA which has built in extra rib protection with russian spec. It is pretty mobile once broken in.

Get the suspender straps if thats your thing, i dont tuck and just tie down and its fine.

Skip lifts, russian spec covers bicep protection. Fight strap probably skip.

Did you get the extra shoulder size? What floaters did you get?

1 hour ago, Desert Tendy said:

Out of curiosity what was the price of the base chest protector.  I heard Brown raised his prices.

it was around 700 or so canadian I think he said to start. Not too bad if it is a high end one. I paid that for my VE8 pro carbon before the beef up and shoulder padding

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2021 at 9:10 PM, Maxpower29 said:

Shit I wish I saw this in time so I could have helped out but looks like Mango hooked you up with all the info you need.  Did you end up placing the order?

I would absolutely get the segmented shoulder floaters.  They're exactly what they sound like, segmented so they stay more contoured to your body.  Helps with mobility.