Cordura Pads

TheGoalNet

In the process of ordering some pads. This will be the first "TGN Spec" pads ordered from the factory with all my dream mods on 1 pad. 

One of the things I am considering is getting some Cordura sections to save weight. 

Anyone own pads with large sections of Cordura on the face? If so, can you share pictures of how they held up overtime? 

Lastly, does anyone have tangible data on how much lighter Cordura is than Jenpro? 

I checked the old Goalie Store and the pics didn’t work... damn photo bucket. 

My specs were:

Eagle Sentry 2 Pro

33+3 - NHL Sizing and Spec, Pro Logos (White with Black Outline)
Fusion Graphic White Condura with Black Flash Accents
All Leather Straps
2006 Knee Cradle, Pro Square Knee Wing, Mason Spec
Vertical Roll Break, below knee  
Gutted RBK style Leg Channel
Black Nylon back of pad
Off set Toe (I spec'd a sliding toe, but Eagle couldn't do it

18 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I had a set of Eagle Sentry 2’s in white condura with black accents.  I only used them 2 skates, ordered them thru JR at the Goalie Crease. 

As for the weight savings, I think they’re pretty negligible 

I wore Eagle Sentry 2s 10 years ago that were all black cordura except for the sliding surface.  Sorry for the blurry pic!  I'm not aware of any information of whether or not it would save weight.  My guess is that it would be very minimal if it did.  It's been nearly 10 years since I wore the gear but I remember having to get some repair work done on them after 1 high school season and 1 season of ACHA hockey.  More prone to wear on the edges of the gear and with skate cuts/collisions.  It's been so long I really don't remember the details.

image.png.bc1f1f277d413baeb0074bf31af3e0ad.png

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

In the process of ordering some pads. This will be the first "TGN Spec" pads ordered from the factory with all my dream mods on 1 pad. 

One of the things I am considering is getting some Cordura sections to save weight. 

Anyone own pads with large sections of Cordura on the face? If so, can you share pictures of how they held up overtime? 

Lastly, does anyone have tangible data on how much lighter Cordura is than Jenpro? 

If you use it strategically, it should be fine.  You'll want to use it in large surface area (to maximize weight savings), low ice contact/low wear areas (the former being more important than the latter).  Cordura sucks up water and grips the ice.  Also recommend using it in a colored area.  If you use it as your white, it will look nasty after a while (see Belfour below)

Weight wise, I believe the savings will be negligible.  I agree with @Kirk3190 that it will be more susceptible to wear (fraying and skate cuts) and more difficult to patch (PadSkinz don't stick very well to nylon)

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

I know Belfour had a pair made for him, Eagle all cordura. Can't find the pic.

Myself I did own a full cordura Eagle TT10 glove. Light as heck!!

Belfour's Vaughn Legacy 4000s in Dallas had cordura on the face.  You can see the difference in color between the white in the thigh rise compared to the white split knee roll. 

image.png.57114e3d7f8e9c37f7e2e582ab2bfca6.png

image.png.90ed682231b9b1ae84f0999810fefe5c.png

His Heaton 10s in Toronto had it on the thigh rise.

image.png.97f23efa1fbc9f050df6c0a718f93ee6.png

Thanks @cwarnar @Chenner29 @Kirk3190  For info. 

My graphic will loosely resemble a Potvin. The portion that was all blue in his original pads would be all cordura and then I would do Jenpro for the boot portion that is white on his. 

I know Dennis at Factory Mad is big on Cordura for the weight savings. Aesthetically, I love the contrast of textures too. Even it it's 5% lighter, I think I am going to roll with it. My philosophy is that 5% here and there and adds up. 

The durability with skate cuts in not a factor I had considered, good intel there! 

1 minute ago, TheGoalNet said:

Thanks @cwarnar @Chenner29 @Kirk3190  For info. 

My graphic will loosely resemble a Potvin. The portion that was all blue in his original pads would be all cordura and then I would do Jenpro for the boot portion that is white on his. 

I know Dennis at Factory Mad is big on Cordura for the weight savings. Aesthetically, I love the contrast of textures too. Even it it's 5% lighter, I think I am going to roll with it. My philosophy is that 5% here and there and adds up. 

The durability with skate cuts in not a factor I had considered, good intel there! 

Dennis is actually quite hot on the old V-lite Pro stuff from Vaughn. He felt it was pretty advanced for the time.

The positive about mending skate cuts is that a needle will get through easier on Cordura. It can stretch a bit better than Jenpro. 

Are you going to get a glove set, as well?

My old Smith SP1000 pads had cordura on the thigh, shin, boot area, and outer gusset. I had the pads for about 4 years. They held up really good. My buddy bought them from me for roller and he is still using them. 

Cordura does make the equipment lighter. 

11 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

3A6D8327-8F28-4CB3-B2B9-B473673C80B9.jpeg

F445E818-B330-4ECE-9950-CB7344598A9A.jpeg

One thing I remember Roddy from TGC saying with cordura pads was to always make sure your wear areas/points were done in jenpro as over time the cordura will wear through. Someone back on the GSBB got a set through a retailer in Ontario and none of the wear areas had jenpro on them and he was saying this. They sent them back to get this done after he mentioned it. 

I had a pair of all Cordura pads way long ago. I bought them used from a friend of a friend. They had zero markings on them so I had no idea who made them. They were crazy light, had plastic buckles and were fairly short, just coming above my knee with very little thigh rise. They gave big, juicy rebounds too. I probably used them for 3 years and the guy before that used them for at least that long. No wear issues on the nylon as I recall. I wish I still had them. I gave them away to a neighbour's wife who was playing on a women's team.

Those Belfour Stars pads are on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ED-BELFOUR-0001-Dallas-Stars-NHL-Game-Worn-Used-Goalie-Leg-Pads-COA/332475973999?hash=item4d691cc16f:g:GRAAAOSwnw9Z~4AA

s-l1600.jpg

Only $2,500

Also a pair of his Cooper pads with courdra face (These were Hawks pads I think)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ED-BELFOUR-Mid-90s-Chicago-Blackhawks-NHL-Game-Worn-Used-Goalie-Leg-Pads-COA/332475973994?hash=item4d691cc16a:g:r3QAAOSw3s1Z~4Ik

s-l1600.jpg

His Leafs CCM pads are on there too. They only had the courdra above the knee.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Thanks for checking 

I'm not on Facebook at the moment, but i'll have to remember when i'm back since I do have him on there. 
I'll have to look into it. I recall he was loving all of his cordura stuff. 

Archived