Protect the neck

cwarnar

I'm seconding the Brown collar. My father was NUTS about protecting my neck when I was younger, and he must've asked every goalie coach and pro-shop owner in the NY/NJ area what the best one was. I've never had any problems with it, though I use it more for clavicle protection (I wear a dangler, too). 

Granted, this was almost 15 years ago, and we didn't have access to resources like this. Sarah and PAW seem great (and I want businesses like hers to succeed), I've just never tried them. I've never owned a Maltese product, and while I'm sure they make quality stuff, I think their pricing is in-sane. Always seemed like a Law of Diminishing Returns, but to each their own.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UPDATE... I went on a tour of a LHS this afternoon... They had the Vaughn XR in stock... plus a Bauer and a crappy offshore Brians.

Tried the Vaughn on and I felt like I was getting choked... but then again its been years since I wore neck protection... Do PAW or Maltese feel this way too...

@Chenner29 Maltese demo program is a no go for Canada, correct?

10 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I never feel like I am being choked when I wear my Maltese.  I don't even remember it is there sometimes.  I would suggest getting one but you said not to, so...:idk:

Initially it was the cost combined with some horrendous wait times... I don't need custom graphics... so we'll see what happens... 

Dangler plus a neck protector no questions asked - my son has had atleast 3 danglers broken I can't imagine what could have happened was he not wearing one. I also believe that he has taken 1-2 shots that have come close to his neck which he has complained about, wears a CCM unit so cawarmar keep us posted on your decision and give us some feedback. I would pull the trigger on a Maltese but I don't believe its CSA approved and this is an issue with minor hockey in Canada!

57 minutes ago, Big2 said:

Dangler plus a neck protector no questions asked - my son has had atleast 3 danglers broken I can't imagine what could have happened was he not wearing one. I also believe that he has taken 1-2 shots that have come close to his neck which he has complained about, wears a CCM unit so cawarmar keep us posted on your decision and give us some feedback. I would pull the trigger on a Maltese but I don't believe its CSA approved and this is an issue with minor hockey in Canada!

Can't do danglers.  I hate constant banging in my mask and I always hate trying to look down through it to find the puck. 

I have a decent chin drop on my Stacey mask and am hoping to get a similar one on my Protechsport 

On 1/15/2018 at 8:29 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Great concept, but lacking in 2 major areas...

1. Materials... really? It's like a sweat shirt under your chest pad 

2. Neck padding - The floating collar is a perfect design, but the CCM version has nothing for impact protection 

If they update this unit to include D30 in the neck, make it a bib style, and then update the materials... we have a winner! 

All good and valid points made. Thank you for these.

I should also note that I wear a dangler in addition to this CCM neck guard shirt. I have the senior version (the picture I posted earlier), and while it could be better, I haven't had a issue with it so far and I really like it. The lower lip on the neck area is hard that could protect against a shot (not perfect, but it's there). Plus the additional belly piece (attached to the shirt) I really like. 

In fairness to the design, the Pro Senior model does come up a lot higher and has more protection offered higher in the neck area + in the shoulders as well. Here's a picture of the Pro model neck guard shirt:

CCM Neck shirt - PRO VERSION.jpg

When I upgrade, I'll be moving on to this version next time as I really like the design. I bought my current version quickly after a slight scare on the ice. 

4 hours ago, cwarnar said:

UPDATE... I went on a tour of a LHS this afternoon... They had the Vaughn XR in stock... plus a Bauer and a crappy offshore Brians.

Tried the Vaughn on and I felt like I was getting choked... but then again its been years since I wore neck protection... Do PAW or Maltese feel this way too...

@Chenner29 Maltese demo program is a no go for Canada, correct?

For KTPs, no demos available yet.
For collars we are still running a program.  If you're interested, PM me and I'll pass along his email.

4 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Initially it was the cost combined with some horrendous wait times... I don't need custom graphics... so we'll see what happens... 

If you're concerned about wait time, GoalieMonkey in Canada carries them for immediate purchase.

The only caveat is that they're a web only item, they do not have them on display at their retail stores. 
I believe this is because of the BNQ cert (just like how it's very difficult/impossible to source cateye cages in Canada because of CSA).

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2018 at 11:57 PM, creasecollector said:

All good and valid points made. Thank you for these.

I should also note that I wear a dangler in addition to this CCM neck guard shirt. I have the senior version (the picture I posted earlier), and while it could be better, I haven't had a issue with it so far and I really like it. The lower lip on the neck area is hard that could protect against a shot (not perfect, but it's there). Plus the additional belly piece (attached to the shirt) I really like. 

In fairness to the design, the Pro Senior model does come up a lot higher and has more protection offered higher in the neck area + in the shoulders as well. Here's a picture of the Pro model neck guard shirt:

CCM Neck shirt - PRO VERSION.jpg

When I upgrade, I'll be moving on to this version next time as I really like the design. I bought my current version quickly after a slight scare on the ice. 

I've used the pro model (under the Reebok brand) for the last eight years and was very satisfied with its protection. That said, I hacked up the neck area to avoid the turtle neck feeling. Also, I would wear it under my compression shirt to keep it in place. I recently switched to a Maltese (purchased from GoalieMonkey, which is a good way to avoid wait times associated with custom orders), because my Reebok was as beat up as it gets. Unfortunately, I've only worn the Maltese for one skate, so I can't speak much towards protection. But I will say that it will require some adjustment because it has the turtle neck feel and was hotter than what I've been used to. 

Good luck.

Creasecollector - thanks for the information on this CCM unit I will try to find one for my son like the extra collar bone protection + added sternum protection.

He already wears a CCM unit similar to all the ones on this thread but it's falling apart.

I've got both the Aegis and a Maltese.  I don't really feel either one.  I do think that the Aegis is sufficiently protective with the D30 foam, but for the most part, I've been sticking with the Maltese lately for no rational reason.  The Aegis will probably be my summer neck collar, since it's much, much lighter and retains a lot less heat.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been having trouble finding a neck guard for my longer than normal neck, currently i have a ccm one and it doesn't cover much, maltese is a little out of my budget. I have tried kova but they are replying to my emails.

So does anyone have any other suggestions?

Archived