TGN Spec

TheGoalNet

TGN SPEC 

If I had a better guidance counselor, I might be a hockey equipment designer, envisioning cars for BMW, or an industrial designer at Apple… But I didn’t and I am involved with Manufacturing. It’s honestly worked out very well and I don’t have too many complaints.

Being involved with manufacturing gives me a unique perspective for how things are made across multiple industries, what are the technological trends coming, and the realities behind offshoring. It’s a unique perspective that most people don’t care about or are not privy to when they are buying pajamas at Target or skates from Pro Hockey Life. But… I am fascinated with how things are made, where they are made, and how they could be further customized or improved to reach new audiences.

Image result for roush mustangImage result for ruf porsche

If we are look at the world outside of hockey, there are tons of collaborations in the world right now. The earliest examples might be customized versions of production cars. The Roush Mustang and Ruf Porsche are two, among many, that jump to my mind. In the world of fashion, collaboration is “on trend”. Off White x Nike was the biggest story for the Sneakerheads and Supreme x LV is one of the most desirable luxury lines available.

image.jpeg.bf1390f62a5401e3508e6e9fdf9dd145.jpegImage result for supreme louis vuitton

For whatever reason, hockey has seemed fairly immune to this trend. To some extent, CCM might be a leader in the thought process of using external design teams to support a new design. It’s always been Koho, Reebok, or CCM by Lefevre. The RBZ stick line was a collaboration with TaylorMade. Bombardier aerospace aided Lefevre in the transition from Protechsport to the current CCM mask. Heck, when CCM rebranded for goal, they could have went CCM x Lefervre and been right that on trend!

Image result for TAYLORMADE RBZ CCM GOLFBAGImage result for koho by lefevre

As you may have noticed in some of posts, I tinker with gear and call it TGN Spec X V6, TGN Spec x CCM Mask, or TGN Spec X 1S. It’s that rare opportunity I get to unleash my inner industrial designer on a product I am actually, almost, probably, qualified, to tinker with. Designing gear full time or trying to be the next Brian Heaton was probably never in the cards for me. However, social media has presented the opportunity to take my fascination of tinkering with existing designs to the next level!

image.png.4f01d42acf9cf2ea8412398f36c00370.png

Stay tuned for more details to come… but… TGN Spec X “COMPANY TO BE NAMED LATER” is coming to retail via custom order. I am hoping to get my personal set in February and have it available to the public in March.

This is a not a sales pitch, I am not getting paid for any sets solid, this is just pure love of the game, and getting to live out a fantasy. Thanks to the gear company and my retail partner for making this happen!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, RichMan said:

Price? Hybrid or pro-fly? Customize-able a la Vaughn or a la Boddam/Passau etc? ETA?

This will be Pro-Level gear. All "TGN Spec" orders will be custom, so you will be able to make further changes after that. 

I am betting people might love the graphic and the strapping, but not like the extremes I went to with weight saving or how stiff I like my pads. Their custom order might be a traditional face material with a softer pad flex. . . Make TGN Spec you own :giggity:

@cwarnar - I probably talk to 3 representatives a week from various hockey companies. I communicate most frequently with Bauer, Brian's, and CCM. Warrior is the most directly supportive of the site, at the current moment, with their continued and frequent contribution to answering questions. HUGE SHOUT OUT TO @Kirk3190 for all your help! I notice it and am very thankful.

We also have active connections at Vaughn, Kenesky, Masked Marvel, Maltese, Factory Mad, True, Passau, Brown, Battram, and nearly every painter but Dave Art. 

I just like to point that out because I am sincere about neutrality!

@Brians_Joz is a phenomenal dude, except that he likes Adidas kicks :facepalm:,  but we are friendly with everyone! If you are not aware, Joz is their pro rep. He is helping Halak, Dell, Anderson, etc with their specs, graphics, mods, etc and it's crazy he takes the time out to help us! I would imagine he will be most active around product launches. 

The only thing I will not be neutral on? Recommending @TGC-Rance as the best place to buy your gear. Never ever had an issue with them and they are very supportive of some of the future things we have going on.  

25 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Please. Fucking. Don't. 

Who knows @TheGoalNet can use his manufacturing expertise and try and turn them around. Hopefully they keep the prices the same while they're at it...

Ready for the announcement for sure though! I have an inkling that it is a Brian's production though. 

3 minutes ago, Kayen said:

Who knows @TheGoalNet can use his manufacturing expertise and try and turn them around. Hopefully they keep the prices the same while they're at it...

Ready for the announcement for sure though! I have an inkling that it is a Brian's production though. 

The prices would have to go up because they wouldn't be getting their shit from Aliexpress and slapping their logo on it anymore, if he were to do anything like that.

I won't give Tron a penny. Not only are their products garbage but they're assholes, too. Threatening me with profanity laced tirades isn't an acceptable business practice. 

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

HockeyTron!

Ok, I bit and checked their website, never heard of them before this. Why the hell is every piece of protective gear they sell so ridiculously cheap? Are they the all "widow maker" family of gear manufacturers? Chest pads $50, pants. $39, pads, glove and blocker for under $500. Masks for ice hockey $95. What the hell man. I've never seen this gear on anyone and I hope I never do.

Also, I'm voting Brian's but I could see @TheGoalNet going off the board here.

1 hour ago, Pauly35or00 said:

Ok, I bit and checked their website, never heard of them before this. Why the hell is every piece of protective gear they sell so ridiculously cheap? Are they the all "widow maker" family of gear manufacturers? Chest pads $50, pants. $39, pads, glove and blocker for under $500. Masks for ice hockey $95. What the hell man. I've never seen this gear on anyone and I hope I never do.

Also, I'm voting Brian's but I could see @TheGoalNet going off the board here.

Its all junk they buy from chinese wholesalers and slap their logo on it. They claim its the same factory for their sticks for example, so "its the same thing for less money", even though its very VERY clearly not anywhere near the same level.

The goalie pads actually look significantly better than the old ones they had. I'd almost consider trying them just to review them for the lulz, but again I won't give them a penny. The goalie masks are plastic. It's all junk. 

One semi smart thing theyve done is buy naming rights for defunct brands. They were using D&R and Hespeler logos on their junk. 

OH, AND THEN THERE'S THIS:

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/55178-oem-and-hockeytron/&do=findComment&comment=910095

10 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

That was worth a read.

Indeed.

https://hockeytron.com/products/hespeler-hockey-helmet-with-cage

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/European-And-American-Sports-Helmet-Ice-Hockey-Man-s-Skating-Helmet-Protective-Gear-Helmet-For-Head/32703520356.html

Their store is literally 3 minutes from the rink I play at so I see a lot of Tron. You can always see their socks and bags because they're full of holes. 

Archived