Sher-Wood

TheGoalNet

I have been testing the Sher-Wood BPM150 stick. We don't have a Sher-Wood thread, so I figured it would be a good time to start one!

The new stick is light and the rebounds feel great off it. The blade is also very thin at the leading edge and it feels like it helps chips pucks into the glass. 

The coating / finish on it is a major disappointment so far. However, I gave up on tape grips with NXG and anyone who likes to tape the handle might not feel the same. My concern with the grip has been chronicled pretty well though on my spray grip thread... 

Since we're talking Sher-Wood sticks, I was at one point devoted to the 5030. Light, responsive handling and so so durable. Since they are harder to find in stores around Gatineau/Ottawa, I migrated towards Warrior for a while. BUT, low and behold, as I was out shopping for a backup stick, I put my hands on an all wood 530. To my surprise it felt pretty light and well balanced, not to mention a seriously low price of $40 to boot. I've used it 3 times so far and I'm quite pleased with it. The handling is different from a foam core or composite as there's less flex, but I'll just have to work on my getting used to stick handling with a traditional wood stick again. Last time I used one was maybe in the 90s.

If you're on a serious budget, they are worth the try.

I used Sher-Wood 5030s forever. They reminded me of the original Koho and Heaton foam core sticks I used as a kid. They were the lightest and had no thrills. As much as I am "unbaised" every now and again, there are certain products I want to love. This Sher-Wood is definitely one of them. 

I am another devout 5030 user. I'm on my last one and I figure it won't last too much longer with how my season has been going. Very simple foam core sticks that just work and play very, very well. I have a few T80's I snagged for dirt cheap in same paddle size and curve that I need to slowly transition into, as I try to work my way into a composite stick again. 

Agreed. The demise of the 9950 goal sticks was sad. I loved them. I know they make them again as they did before - just not the same.

2012 - the last of the Canadian made:

img.aspx?itm_id=8986&div_id=41&pic_type=

Then there was a few years of the Chinese junk..

Then these now:

rs.php?path=S995GS-1.jpg

Man, for $100 - You start getting into the low end composite range. 

10 hours ago, RichMan said:

Since we're talking Sher-Wood sticks, I was at one point devoted to the 5030. Light, responsive handling and so so durable. Since they are harder to find in stores around Gatineau/Ottawa, I migrated towards Warrior for a while. BUT, low and behold, as I was out shopping for a backup stick, I put my hands on an all wood 530. To my surprise it felt pretty light and well balanced, not to mention a seriously low price of $40 to boot. I've used it 3 times so far and I'm quite pleased with it. The handling is different from a foam core or composite as there's less flex, but I'll just have to work on my getting used to stick handling with a traditional wood stick again. Last time I used one was maybe in the 90s.

If you're on a serious budget, they are worth the try.

I have a 530 stick and it felt good to me as well, however there isn't much re-enforcement on it, ie: no carbon/Aramid strips like TPS used to put on their pro level sticks. So my 530 felt good, but only lasted maybe 3 ice sessions before a pick splintered the shift :( hopefully yours lasts longer. I think the Warrior wood stick has better re-enforcement,  but I can't find one around here.

But anyway, what happened with SherWood, they used to dominate the goalie stick world, now-a-days you hardly see them. It's all Warrior.

16 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I have a lightly used legit 9950 stick that I never use anymore.  Its white with black logo, 25".  I'd sell it but I can only imagine how annoying shipping a stick must be.

It's actually quite simple.  Wrap it in bubble wrap (small stuff) and slap a label on it...

10 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Well in that case if anyone is interested I may be more inclined to ship now lol.

Canada Post wasn't helpful.  They measure knob to tip of the blade, so it's a long as possible.  

I just got a 1S shipped from BC to Sask and it was $34 Canadian 

ga

6 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@MTH - From a reliable source inside pro hockey, I have heard that's a top reason NHL guys are going composite. The consistency with foam cores batch to batch is gone. It's making guys open to trying new things. 

The Warrior composite stick I had, lower end, each time I'd get a shot on it the vibration would just numb my hand like an aluminum bat. I can't see myself spending $200+ on a stick to see it crack on me within a couple games. If my budget was better, then I wouldn't care as much.

21 hours ago, keeperton said:

My current sticks are old 9950 carry overs from about 14 years ago. They still "Boucher" on the curve.

The one I'm using right now is a Lalime. Pretty ancient too.  Its my last good one. Not sure what I'm going to do when it dies. 

Archived