NHL Pro Chest Protector Database

15 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

A lot of the nhlers seem to have those with the orange

Yes, I imagine each team must have a surplus. The pro guys say they have the perfect balance between hold and flexibility. Kova is slowly nipping at this market. 

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/1/2017 at 12:07 AM, Chenner29 said:

Here's a couple contributions to the thread.

Jonathan Bernier Pro Return "Premier" - I think this was from his days in Los Angeles.

I've also attached images of a "re-issue" retail P1 chest pad. I would say he wears something close to a stock Large based on the number of rows in the chest.

• Retail version is marked Medium and you can see 5 rows of horizontal blocks (not counting the rounded sternum blocks).

Biggest differences you'll see:

• X-Pulse style arm floaters (segmented and scalloped outside)
  • X-pulse style backplate
  • Completely different harness
  • Arm padding goes completely down to the wrist velcro (most stock models have minimal to no padding in this area)
  • Note: the gray rib protection and waxed red skate lace at the elbows are things I added myself.  I find the waxed skate lace tends to hold tension longer than the cord.
  • Note2: You'll also see some stitching I did at the forearm.  I added an elastic band underneath with a lot of tension to get a better "cinched down" feeling at my wrists.
  • Note3: Bernier has long arms.  I'm 5'11 and he's listed at 6'.  I chopped off a couple inches in the arms and it's still a little too long.

59f945da51115_BernierP1.thumb.jpg.c37d28ed1fec4c54608d8264c7b059f3.jpg59f945e0d0b25_BernierP1(b).thumb.jpg.4acab45a296e42b886cfe6142c29d2e1.jpgreebok-rbk-premier-goalie-pro-chest-arm-protector-p1-re-release-550-burnaby_8354188.jpg.db1f90fade5a36d2f4311a5ee0444d55.jpg

On 11/1/2017 at 12:07 AM, Chenner29 said:

Here's a couple contributions to the thread.

Jonathan Bernier Pro Return "Premier" - I think this was from his days in Los Angeles.

I've also attached images of a "re-issue" retail P1 chest pad. I would say he wears something close to a stock Large based on the number of rows in the chest.

• Retail version is marked Medium and you can see 5 rows of horizontal blocks (not counting the rounded sternum blocks).

Biggest differences you'll see:

• X-Pulse style arm floaters (segmented and scalloped outside)
  • X-pulse style backplate
  • Completely different harness
  • Arm padding goes completely down to the wrist velcro (most stock models have minimal to no padding in this area)
  • Note: the gray rib protection and waxed red skate lace at the elbows are things I added myself.  I find the waxed skate lace tends to hold tension longer than the cord.
  • Note2: You'll also see some stitching I did at the forearm.  I added an elastic band underneath with a lot of tension to get a better "cinched down" feeling at my wrists.
  • Note3: Bernier has long arms.  I'm 5'11 and he's listed at 6'.  I chopped off a couple inches in the arms and it's still a little too long.

59f945da51115_BernierP1.thumb.jpg.c37d28ed1fec4c54608d8264c7b059f3.jpg59f945e0d0b25_BernierP1(b).thumb.jpg.4acab45a296e42b886cfe6142c29d2e1.jpgreebok-rbk-premier-goalie-pro-chest-arm-protector-p1-re-release-550-burnaby_8354188.jpg.db1f90fade5a36d2f4311a5ee0444d55.jpg

This looks kind of like the pre-Premier AB units by CCM as well. Since, thegoaliecrease.com use to mix and match the arms a bit more on their custom or "thegoaliecrease spec" units, perhaps something similar was done with the arms as well and these are either arms from a different (sized) unit or it has to also do with arms from the donor unit where longer to begin with. For example, I had no problem getting another R9000 slightly used for a backup, but likewise the arms of the XL one are too long for my liking, but the Large I bought new fits closer to perfect. The torso of both the XL and L on the stock units are the same, it's just longer arms in XL sized ones and the Large owners can also remove the belly extensions like with the R6000 model. 

I am also curious whether you still work at Sportsmask after the acquisition. 

On 11/9/2018 at 4:45 PM, Chenner29 said:

One thing I want to point out is that these pro used chest and arm units generally go a full season, sometimes two, before replacement.

Given the caliber and volume of shots they take, amount of sweat, and general use and abuse from being shoved in a bag for several hours at a time on road trips...you are bound to get a broken down unit at the end of its lifecycle.

There is one Kenesky Craig Anderson pro return unit in the hands of a member, it was linked in the post above mine.

And while we are on the subject of these new, slimmed down units being "dangerous," here is a Bauer prototype that showed up on my Facebook feed.

Those arm floaters are appalling!

image.png.87c3806eb89dbb7e7386fac36be9c484.pngimage.thumb.png.54b79f716b16989766ab921878483c10.png

Most interesting hybrid, the arms pretty much became the arms of the 1X Vapor, which people say were protective but not mobile enough and hard to break in and looks coupled with a torso similar to the older Supremes. Totally different look in the 2X units, but some have found those to not be protective enough as also the case with the EFlex, go figure...

14 minutes ago, WAGS goalie admin team said:

This looks kind of like the pre-Premier AB units by CCM as well. Since, thegoaliecrease.com use to mix and match the arms a bit more on their custom or "thegoaliecrease spec" units, perhaps something similar was done with the arms as well and these are either arms from a different (sized) unit or it has to also do with arms from the donor unit where longer to begin with. For example, I had no problem getting another R9000 slightly used for a backup, but likewise the arms of the XL one are too long for my liking, but the Large I bought new fits closer to perfect. The torso of both the XL and L on the stock units are the same, it's just longer arms in XL sized ones and the Large owners can also remove the belly extensions like with the R6000 model. 

The Bauer R9000 looked to be a very well balanced c/a, not too bulky. Wish I could try one on.

13 hours ago, WAGS goalie admin team said:

As sizing goes up on the body of the Premier/ABPro/PP1, they will add another block to the belly.
IIRC a Medium was 4 blocks, Large 5 blocks, and XL 6 blocks.

Yes I am still a sales rep for the Sportmask.ca retail site

• 2 years later...
27 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

That's pretty cool. Don't think I've seen that before..

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-puck-player-tracking-honored-at-sloan-sports-analytics-conference-331649276

https://www.nbcsports.com/nhl/news/puck-and-player-tracking-taking-big-strides-forward-in-nhl

I've seen some footage of home arenas projecting the game onto the ice surface when the team is away (ie.  COL vs NSH in NSH, Ball Arena in CO can actually project player names on ice and puck movement onto their ice surface)

If you go to live games, some will have player data up on supplementary digital boards, ie. Crosby's max speed this game was 28mph, average shift time was 37 sec)

• Like 2

Oh yeah so this is the front of the unit. I was feeling some shots in my Vaughn VE8, and I mulled over wearing a padded base layer or even modding the chest. But ended up buying this instead. As it can be seen in the previous pic it has the KW initials, colorway indicates maybe the Habs (the blue doesn't really show in the pic)? I dunno, most of what I care is how it functions.

Immediately the first thing I noticed was that it runs hotter than what I remember how my old Passau made me feel. And of course less mobile than the Vaughn. First time on the ice I was glad I had it because of all the chest saves, I really like how I could feel that there’s contact so that I know I made the save, but no pain (except for one belly shot, I don’t know how it hurt me).

If there are any questions please let me know. In the meanwhile I’m going to see what flavour of chicken wings are available to place in the tracker pocket.

IMG_3635.jpeg

Edited by johncho

2 hours ago, johncho said:

Oh yeah so this is the front of the unit. I was feeling some shots in my Vaughn VE8, and I mulled over wearing a padded base layer or even modding the chest. But ended up buying this instead. As it can be seen in the previous pic it has the KW initials, colorway indicates maybe the Habs (the blue doesn't really show in the pic)? I dunno, most of what I care is how it functions.

Immediately the first thing I noticed was that it runs hotter than what I remember how my old Passau made me feel. And of course less mobile than the Vaughn. First time on the ice I was glad I had it because of all the chest saves, I really like how I could feel that there’s contact so that I know I made the save, but no pain (except for one belly shot, I don’t know how it hurt me).

If there are any questions please let me know. In the meanwhile I’m going to see what flavour of chicken wings are available to place in the tracker pocket.

IMG_3635.jpeg

Belly shots were hit or miss when I was using my Hyperlite too. So it's no uncommon. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Was scrolling late night thinking about trying to tuck my chesty again. Being my guy, what in the world are Hiller’s pants here? 

Older model of Vaughn Velocity, looks like stock pants, only lacing in front was replaced by bungee cord.