Prolaces Thread

On 9/27/2021 at 4:02 PM, raidersgoalie said:

Having the bungie cord as a toe tie ,do u think it would put more tension on the knees. Mcl, acl. With a skate lace style theres not that consistent pressure or tension on the knee ligaments. Hurt my knee last week. Not sure if this could have been a contributing factor.  I have only used skate lace toe ties Pryor to this. 

Really depends on how loose your skate toe ties are.

If you're wearing them with multiple knots, having bungee will provide a tighter feel. I used to wear my skate toe ties fairly tight, so the transition to Pro laces felt looser.

One thing to note, lace toe ties eventually have a point where they're fully taught and could potentially cause even more issues with your knees. (ex in a large scramble). A benefit of bungees is that their maximum give will be much larger than traditional skate lace and you could save yourself from some even further damage because of their added flexibility.

56 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Really depends on how loose your skate toe ties are.

If you're wearing them with multiple knots, having bungee will provide a tighter feel. I used to wear my skate toe ties fairly tight, so the transition to Pro laces felt looser.

One thing to note, lace toe ties eventually have a point where they're fully taught and could potentially cause even more issues with your knees. (ex in a large scramble). A benefit of bungees is that their maximum give will be much larger than traditional skate lace and you could save yourself from some even further damage because of their added flexibility.

Right

If you've got 3" of slack with regular skate lace, you may not see much of a difference.

IMO where you'll see the biggest difference is if you RVH with the toe box in. 

With elastic lace, when you load your toe box into the post to bump off, your skate will keep going until the cord is fully taught. 

With skate lace, you'll go until you have no more slack.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I could not imagine going back to skate lace after having Pro Laces.  

Personally I’ve been loving skate lace after using prolaces. I use 2 or 3 inches of slack and post integration is a million times better with laces than bungee toe ties. Seal and rotation are still spot on for the pad

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Personally I’ve been loving skate lace after using prolaces. I use 2 or 3 inches of slack and post integration is a million times better with laces than bungee toe ties. Seal and rotation are still spot on for the pad

Bonesy, the EBUG for the Preds on Youtube has crazy slack on his lace toe ties.

I get the post integration thing, which is why I prefer the Trav model better than the original and I'm assuming the TGN gives ample slack or stretch as well for said purpose.

3 hours ago, RichMan said:

Bonesy, the EBUG for the Preds on Youtube has crazy slack on his lace toe ties.

I get the post integration thing, which is why I prefer the Trav model better than the original and I'm assuming the TGN gives ample slack or stretch as well for said purpose.

I've used both TGN spec and Armor Hybrid models and the issue I always had was I couldn't push hard out of RVH to the top of the crease. That issue was resolved with skate lace. I don't use near the amount slack that Bones does but it's definitely a good bit of lace.

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I've used both TGN spec and Armor Hybrid models and the issue I always had was I couldn't push hard out of RVH to the top of the crease. That issue was resolved with skate lace. I don't use near the amount slack that Bones does but it's definitely a good bit of lace.

Do you have troubles with the pads not rotating back into place facing forward when you return to your feet with that much slack in the skate lace?

43 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Do you have troubles with the pads not rotating back into place facing forward when you return to your feet with that much slack in the skate lace?

Surprisingly I haven't had any issues at all with rotating back to center. Part of it could be to do with the fact my EF5s still have a little bit of a boot channel and maybe the super tight fit helps too? Either way no problems have been had.

Just now, ThatCarGuy said:

Surprisingly I haven't had any issues at all with rotating back to center. Part of it could be to do with the fact my EF5s still have a little bit of a boot channel and maybe the super tight fit helps too? Either way no problems have been had.

Are you using a boot strap tightly?

41 minutes ago, seagoal said:

That's interesting.  Seems like they should be getting stuck on the sides of your legs returning to your feet, but good for you that they are not.

That was my biggest worry with skate lace but it has definitely been odd to see these pads center every single time with laces especially with as much slack as I have. I'll get a couple pictures later for reference.

3 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Are you pushing off the post with your pad? 

4 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

...I couldn't push hard out of RVH to the top of the crease. .....

u have to look to the top of the crease and shift lean the upper body.

go to travoilers video with pasco valana, like 2nd or 3rd video  , pasco explains the body goes where the head lead,  there are some other videos  on youtube  by pasco 

11 hours ago, DL42 said:

u have to look to the top of the crease and shift lean the upper body.

go to travoilers video with pasco valana, like 2nd or 3rd video  , pasco explains the body goes where the head lead,  there are some other videos  on youtube  by pasco 

I’m not exactly new to this position. I know how to push off the post but since I do pad on post, having the pad stretch away from the post causes a lot of power loss vs having skate lace. 

11 hours ago, RichMan said:

Are you pushing off the post with your pad? 

Yup because I use the toe box on the post rather than skate blade. Damn true two piece skates are actually tall enough that a puck can go under no problem with blade on post. 

As promised here’s some pictures

image.thumb.jpg.a35ee0b8d83889d66e7f40039416dee9.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.5d6ef3d5de43bb1447cbf8a956c2cc90.jpg

Edited by ThatCarGuy

3 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I’m not exactly new to this position. I know how to push off the post but since I do pad on post, having the pad stretch away from the post causes a lot of power loss vs having skate lace. 

Yup because I use the toe box on the post rather than skate blade. Damn true two piece skates are actually tall enough that a puck can go under no problem with blade on post. 

As promised here’s some pictures

image.thumb.jpg.a35ee0b8d83889d66e7f40039416dee9.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.5d6ef3d5de43bb1447cbf8a956c2cc90.jpg

That's definitely a lot of slack.

It's weird that such a great innovation like elastic toe-ties would become less desired so quickly because of the effect they have on the movement out of the RVH. I can't say I've noticed a negative effect of the Prolaces on my RVH movement. However, I may not use it as aggressively as others on here. I couldn't imagine going back to regular toe-ties.

3 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

It's weird that such a great innovation like elastic toe-ties would become less desired so quickly because of the effect they have on the movement out of the RVH. I can't say I've noticed a negative effect of the Prolaces on my RVH movement. However, I may not use it as aggressively as others on here. I couldn't imagine going back to regular toe-ties.

I guess despite using eflex pads I'm not exactly used to a leg pad that moves with me and consistently recenters. Before EF5 I had some 2S Pros with hybrid prolaces and even those had trouble centering surprisingly. Something about EF5 is magical that causes it to always recenter.

56 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I guess despite using eflex pads I'm not exactly used to a leg pad that moves with me and consistently recenters. Before EF5 I had some 2S Pros with hybrid prolaces and even those had trouble centering surprisingly. Something about EF5 is magical that causes it to always recenter.

The elastic toe-ties are also good for easing strain on hips and ankles. This may be more noticeable to someone older and less flexible. Easier to put on, too.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...