2023-24 Gear Sitings

A.YOUNGoalie13

15 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Just noticed he's also switched to two piece true skates

Wedgie would put everyone here to shame with how much of a gear whore/nerd he is. He'll talk you ear off about this stuff.  He's probably the one who talked Otter into True skates.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, froese said:

True 20.2 game ready 590, delivered on Jan 9th, used for 7 games/skates so far. I get that true and CCM may be a little stiffer off the shelf than some other brands but my experience has been it's really not that tough to get them dialed in pretty quickly 👍

For me it's not just the stiffness. All gloves need to be broken in regardless. It's also or mostly how they feel when you try, emphasis on "try", to get your hand in and be comfortable or feel like the glove suits the shape and/or size of your hand.

I get that we all have different hand sizes and shapes. That's why gloves are so personal in our gear choices.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kub29 said:

Wedgie would put everyone here to shame with how much of a gear whore/nerd he is. He'll talk you ear off about this stuff.  He's probably the one who talked Otter into True skates.

I can second this he's done it before. Very curious to see how he specs out his bauer leg pads when he inevitably switches to them. 

55 minutes ago, RichMan said:

For me it's not just the stiffness. All gloves need to be broken in regardless. It's also or mostly how they feel when you try, emphasis on "try", to get your hand in and be comfortable or feel like the glove suits the shape and/or size of your hand.

I get that we all have different hand sizes and shapes. That's why gloves are so personal in our gear choices.

Completely agree, very similar to skates in this aspect.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, froese said:

True 20.2 game ready 590, delivered on Jan 9th, used for 7 games/skates so far. I get that true and CCM may be a little stiffer off the shelf than some other brands but my experience has been it's really not that tough to get them dialed in pretty quickly 👍

I'm sure they break in fine, most gloves do (except 600 breaks). Was mostly just conveying the retail experience with a note of bias that I carry against the Lefebvre desgin lol. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I'm sure they break in fine, most gloves do (except 600 breaks). Was mostly just conveying the retail experience with a note of bias that I carry against the Lefebvre desgin lol. 

Did you have a bad Lefevre experience that scarred you? 😆 (genuinely asking).

32 minutes ago, froese said:

Did you have a bad Lefevre experience that scarred you? 😆 (genuinely asking).

My first pads were RBK 6k's and I had a pair of CCM 2.9 gloves a couple years ago I tried for a while. 

Didn't like either one. lol. 

Honestly? My 'hate' for them is mostly exaggerated because I find it fun to do so. I do genuinely think their designs aren't great and they are my least favourite, but, I get why people like them. Familiarity is a huge factor. 

(plus NHL presence can never be understated)  

131702_10150365988385319_1350049_o.jpg

120635879_10164215484745319_7447029424948227835_n.jpg.05194eeb06eddb10ae8eb2293f162f8c.jpg

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

My first pads were RBK 6k's and I had a pair of CCM 2.9 gloves a couple years ago I tried for a while. 

Didn't like either one. lol. 

Honestly? My 'hate' for them is mostly exaggerated because I find it fun to do so. I do genuinely think their designs aren't great and they are my least favourite, but, I get why people like them. Familiarity is a huge factor. 

(plus NHL presence can never be understated)  

131702_10150365988385319_1350049_o.jpg

120635879_10164215484745319_7447029424948227835_n.jpg.05194eeb06eddb10ae8eb2293f162f8c.jpg

My Lefevre experience is pretty limited - owned and loved a Koho 590 years ago, but other than that I only just got into CCM gear this year and recently bought a set of True gloves. My limited experience has only been positive, but I get why it's not everyone's thing. Especially non pro gear like the 2.9's you had...seems like there's a pretty big drop off in their senior/non custom gear, especially their gloves.

11 minutes ago, froese said:

My Lefevre experience is pretty limited - owned and loved a Koho 590 years ago, but other than that I only just got into CCM gear this year and recently bought a set of True gloves. My limited experience has only been positive, but I get why it's not everyone's thing. Especially non pro gear like the 2.9's you had...seems like there's a pretty big drop off in their senior/non custom gear, especially their gloves.

The gloves were mostly due to overall design and not quality control. Over the years I've been trying multiple different catchers to see if anything works and I keep falling back to Warrior catchers, time and time again. Shit, I bought an Ultrasonic catcher recently and even before I hit the ice with it I put it up for sale. 

I am very much a Warrior catcher only guy. So I can absolutely see how Lefebvre guys are as devoted as they are. 

Once you know, you know/ 

but I get why it's not everyone's thing

Same mentality I have with Warrior products. I get they're a very divisive product and I don't fault anyone for not liking them. 

I judge them though. :P 

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

The gloves were mostly due to overall design and not quality control. Over the years I've been trying multiple different catchers to see if anything works and I keep falling back to Warrior catchers, time and time again. Shit, I bought an Ultrasonic catcher recently and even before I hit the ice with it I put it up for sale. 

Same mentality I have with Warrior products. I get they're a very divisive product and I don't fault anyone for not liking them. 

I fully support all biases based on personal preference and the urge to judge others who think differently than me.

However, I ALSO support the right of anyone (me) to immediately reverse my opinions should I ever decide to switch brands so I can justify the stupid amount of money I've just spent on something I didn't even remotely need. This is the way.

Edited by froese
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, froese said:

I fully support all biases based on personal preference and the urge to judge others who think differently than me.

However, I ALSO support the right of anyone (me) to immediately reverse my opinions should I ever decide to switch brands so I can justify the stupid amount of money I've just spent on something I didn't even remotely need. This is the way.

Amen brother. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, froese said:

I was just thinking that as I was reading through the comments. If I would of never experienced Smith gloves followed by Warrior, or if they would of never existed, I might be a Brian's or Vaughn glove guy at present. Who knows. Then again, I have a tremendous itch to try the Mckenney GPX2 Pro Elite glove and the Boddam Fuze has also got my attention for its shape. Future tests if the funds are present :) 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I can second this he's done it before. Very curious to see how he specs out his bauer leg pads when he inevitably switches to them. 

He tried out a full set of Bauer's before the season started. Guess they weren't what he wanted yet since he switched back.

I'm waiting for him to go full Tim Thomas and a mish-mash of brands. Course I guess these days they'd just reskin the gear.

4 minutes ago, Kub29 said:

He tried out a full set of Bauer's before the season started. Guess they weren't what he wanted yet since he switched back.

I'm waiting for him to go full Tim Thomas and a mish-mash of brands. Course I guess these days they'd just reskin the gear.

He also was in all True to start the season too. 

One by one he's falling to the Bauer Gods

7 hours ago, Kub29 said:

Just watch, he's going to show up with a Warrior glove for a couple of games just to throw everyone off. 

I got Scheel to try one a few years back before he got sent down but he wasn't feeling it which understandable since he's still using a V7

22 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

T

I still can't get past the "douche-font" that Warrior used to use to appeal to the MMA/UFC Crowd, making sure they got every goalie who had a barb-wire tattoo around their bicep.

Yeah, I judge too.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Naz said:

I still can't get past the "douche-font" that Warrior used to use to appeal to the MMA/UFC Crowd, making sure they got every goalie who had a barb-wire tattoo around their bicep.

Yeah, I judge too.

You can just say you don't have any Swagger. 

Yea, that was fucking awful. Without Pete Smith joining on, I guarantee Warrior would have exited the goalie market ages ago. 

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Haha 1

Not necessarily defending Warrior, but we are proudly wearing brightly colored, stupid expensive foam and arguing about which expensive foam looks best... so what does that say about all of us I wonder... 

merely for reference haha

douchebag (plural douchebags)

1. (US, slang, vulgar) A jerk or asshole; a mean or rude person; someone seen as being arrogant, snobby or obnoxious. synonym ▲
    Synonym: douche
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, IpaddyTECH said:

Not necessarily defending Warrior, but we are proudly wearing brightly colored, stupid expensive foam and arguing about which expensive foam looks best... so what does that say about all of us I wonder... 

1. (US, slang, vulgar) A jerk or asshole; a mean or rude person; someone seen as being arrogant, snobby or obnoxious. synonym ▲

I like to consider us more Magpies than douchebags. 

We save that vernacular for the fat winger sticking his unwashed ass in our faces. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, IpaddyTECH said:

Douchbags?  Nah.   Totally insane?  Of course, but that comes with the territory of destroying your knees, hips and back as well as taking repeated shots to the head and groin (usually from your own teammates in warmups).  Many of us do  this well past the time where we should have moved on to more sedentary pursuits like golf and in some cases even shuffleboard or parchisi.     

• Haha 1

Lundqvist debuting the shadow line. Don't hate the blocker as much as I thought I would and the strapping looks relatively unchanged from HL2. Graphic is pretty solid too. Oettinger will be switching to shadow soon too according to Lundqvist, likely for the all star games. 

Screenshot_20240126_130950_Instagram.thumb.jpg.7312ca59b7092ab3e58970631a008b3e.jpg

Screenshot_20240126_131147_Instagram.thumb.jpg.e2400833e8aef60c015aed303bc39a6d.jpg

• Like 3