Lets talk pants

35RoloSmith41

Just curious what you all use? I currently have some warrior ritual X. it seems to be flat faced and about 10-11 inches wide per leg. I believe NHL regulation is now 9 inches wide and i think they have to do barrell shaped vs flat faced but i might be wrong about that. 

Curious what everyone else is using and which pants are the most illegal? I remember hearing some NHL goalies wearing 2 pair of pants back in the day.  pair that fit them and another pair that was just massive. 

Anyone have any tips for creating max coverage with their pants?

All Vaughns: I went from Vision to SLR2 Pro Carbon to SLR3 Pro Carbon pants.

The Visions are certainly illegal with a big ridge on the outside of each leg, and I know both my SLR pants are because of their internal belts and they're probably too wide. Both SLR pants are absolute beauts though, only reason I really went to the SLR3 pants is because I got tired of getting bruises on my hips from the little gap the SLR2 had there (hence why you saw a lot of guys in the pros with the double leafed padding on their thighs).

10 hours ago, seagoal said:

I use Vaughn SLR2 Pro Carbon.  I have 2 pairs, one black and one red.  Zero problems or complaints and the internal padded belt is wonderful for me because 5'10 170 lbs.  Lifelong Vaughn Velocity user prior to these. 

I think my least favorite thing on these pants was how the internal belt tightened. The double pull with the overlapping clips was...certainly a choice that felt chunky.

34 minutes ago, keeperton said:

I think my least favorite thing on these pants was how the internal belt tightened. The double pull with the overlapping clips was...certainly a choice that felt chunky.

Never had that problem myself, I crank them down as tight as they go and I'm set. 

For size on thighs go Warrior definitely. Or maybe Brown/Simmons/ other small fabricator customs.

I have X2Pro and like them when I tuck, but recently I've moved over to non-tuck for a bit more comfort in setting things up.

With non-tuck I use CCM Pro (older flat thigh HPG12) or Simmons 996(?) Both are big but still smaller than Warrior.

I've also played some times with Bauer 1X but couldn't really dial them well enough. Not bad as they were and those old style thighs were as wide as Warrios are.

I don't actually like the new style of rounded thighs, not for the rounded but how it is done. Having a huge rounded panel over both side and 90 degree corner to line in between legs. One of the shelf pants I saw at local store had had some bad storage conditions or what ever and the large plates on sides were almost straightened up. I didn't try them on me but they needed some re-rounding to work at all. 😆 With that thinking, you might be able to easily modify those pants to have super flat and wide thighs if it was legal, right? 🤓

• 4 months later...
On 10/29/2023 at 6:19 AM, ArdeFIN said:

For size on thighs go Warrior definitely. Or maybe Brown/Simmons/ other small fabricator customs.

I have X2Pro and like them when I tuck, but recently I've moved over to non-tuck for a bit more comfort in setting things up.

With non-tuck I use CCM Pro (older flat thigh HPG12) or Simmons 996(?) Both are big but still smaller than Warrior.

I've also played some times with Bauer 1X but couldn't really dial them well enough. Not bad as they were and those old style thighs were as wide as Warrios are.

I don't actually like the new style of rounded thighs, not for the rounded but how it is done. Having a huge rounded panel over both side and 90 degree corner to line in between legs. One of the shelf pants I saw at local store had had some bad storage conditions or what ever and the large plates on sides were almost straightened up. I didn't try them on me but they needed some re-rounding to work at all. 😆 With that thinking, you might be able to easily modify those pants to have super flat and wide thighs if it was legal, right? 🤓

@ArdeFIN I recently picked up a pair of old Reebok HPG pro pants from which I can tell are quite similar to the CCM HPG12 pants. Are these pants designed for the chesty to be untucked? I have previously tucked my P1 into my bauer pants but I haven't quite been able to dial in my comfort level of tucking my chestie into the Reebok pants. I feel the chestie moves up when I go down into my butterfly and it interferes with my mask and my ability to see pucks in close on the ice when I am trying to cover it. I also moved from a P1 to a Warrior G2 pro chestie so maybe it is the chestie and not the pants that is the issue. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks. 

Been rocking McKenney 870 for what seems decades now. They are VERY big despite just being XL. They certainly have a barrel shape. I'd like to upgrade to a more conforming fit, like the new McKenney XPG2 or a CCM 12A or a Vaughn, more padding at the front...in Habs colourway of course 😉 

Still unsure if I'll stick to XL and continue with the tuck or go medium and untuck. Depends on the c/a I'll using as well I guess. 

On 3/4/2024 at 11:20 PM, wigalicous said:

@ArdeFIN I recently picked up a pair of old Reebok HPG pro pants from which I can tell are quite similar to the CCM HPG12 pants. Are these pants designed for the chesty to be untucked? I have previously tucked my P1 into my bauer pants but I haven't quite been able to dial in my comfort level of tucking my chestie into the Reebok pants. I feel the chestie moves up when I go down into my butterfly and it interferes with my mask and my ability to see pucks in close on the ice when I am trying to cover it. I also moved from a P1 to a Warrior G2 pro chestie so maybe it is the chestie and not the pants that is the issue. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks. 

My HPG12 being so new are really stiff on the waist area but that could also be partly because I have only used these in non-tuck setup. But for that stiffness I couldn't imagine myself to fit things in while tucking my C/A. Mainly as the waist area is so barrel shaped and stiff in all directions it would hold the shape while going down and the required space is only found upwards. 

That said if I could open the waist area enough it could still be possible that the pants could rise up over the stomach area of the C/A and work without dramas. But I'm really happy how my R/GT2 and HPG12 setup is working untucked so I don't see any reason to even try it out.

4 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

My HPG12 being so new are really stiff on the waist area but that could also be partly because I have only used these in non-tuck setup. But for that stiffness I couldn't imagine myself to fit things in while tucking my C/A. Mainly as the waist area is so barrel shaped and stiff in all directions it would hold the shape while going down and the required space is only found upwards. 

That said if I could open the waist area enough it could still be possible that the pants could rise up over the stomach area of the C/A and work without dramas. But I'm really happy how my R/GT2 and HPG12 setup is working untucked so I don't see any reason to even try it out.

Are you in a smaller size pants? What I mean is, for myself, If untucked, I would go medium so my c/a can still offer a bit of wrap near the ribs and not catch at the front. Otherwise I'd be in XL and just tuck.

On 3/8/2024 at 11:51 PM, RichMan said:

Are you in a smaller size pants? What I mean is, for myself, If untucked, I would go medium so my c/a can still offer a bit of wrap near the ribs and not catch at the front. Otherwise I'd be in XL and just tuck.

Nope, size L all the way. And that is, atleast Warrior is the same size on waist but the length changes between sizes...

Don't know the sizing idea of the HPG12A model, but I chose the size L because I previously had size M Premier pants that were a bit too short.

• Thanks 1