Protechsport Mask Thread

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2022 at 3:02 AM, Hyper180 said:

Hey Redrook, 

Nice mask, is it me or does your chin look really short? Do you have a better side view shot, doesn't look like the chin drops much. 

Thanks,

Sorry I'm not on here much. No definitely not a short chin, must be the camera angle. I have a fairly long chin and get good coverage from this mask. Here's a side view. This is the Theodore (which is also the Luongo, Fichaud etc.)

Hockey040.JPG

Edited by redrook
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Holy cow. Website still says $695 CAD for the full Kevlar build.

Were you asking for the smooth interior finish, too?

No, didn't ask for any extras, I think the website is just way out of date.  The wait time might be better than on the website though, he said if I sent half the payment now, he could start in April, which seem like less than the 33 week wait time on the website.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thinking about making the move to the Belfour (Potvin/Greg Harrison copy).  I currently have an Eddy Custom Pro, with a rattle can paint job I did myself (i'll try to post it here below).  Wondering about going wrap this time (I'll leave that for the wrap thread).

How much of a difference would the Protechsport mask be in terms of weight from one of these older masks like mine?  What about the impact stregnth/durability?

If I'm going to get it wrapped, should I just get it ordered in matte white?  Or black since there's sometimes seams in the wrap?  

I think I saw chin sling option, just making sure you still can.  

Do most people just take cage off and use plasti-dip or something to get it white?  

I'm not sure if it was a different manufacturer or not, but is there a long chin / short chin choice I have to make?  Not sure what that would be.  

Does mold shipping get charged on top of the mask price?  

Potvin Mask.jpg

Edited by Cool Runnings
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 4:58 AM, Cool Runnings said:

How much of a difference would the Protechsport mask be in terms of weight from one of these older masks like mine?  What about the impact stregnth/durability?

Depends on which build you get (full fiberglass vs. full Kevlar). Fiberglass is noticeably heavier than the full Kevlar. I've never handled an Eddy before, but my full Kevlar seem pretty light compared to a retail mask, but part of that is because it has less foam. Retail masks have a ton of foam on the sides where your ears would go - but these don't. I do believe the NME VTX and CCM Axis Pro are a lighter than the Protech, though.

If I'm going to get it wrapped, should I just get it ordered in matte white?  Or black since there's sometimes seams in the wrap?  

I think I saw chin sling option, just making sure you still can. 

I think the color you want depends on the base color of your wrap. If you're getting a black-based wrap, go black, etc. If you went white paint with a black-based wrap, it'd look a bit odd if you've got some white paint peeking through.

Chin slings are still an option.

Do most people just take cage off and use plasti-dip or something to get it white? 

Most people get the cages powder coated. I think Michel can do that for you.

I'm not sure if it was a different manufacturer or not, but is there a long chin / short chin choice I have to make?  Not sure what that would be. 

If you want a longer or shorter chin, just ask him.

Does mold shipping get charged on top of the mask price? 

Shipping your mold to him? Out of your pocket. He doesn't ship the mold back - I think he measures them and keeps them for a while, but otherwise it is disposed of. Return shipping of your mask is not included in the prices on the website.

---

It's been several years since I last got a mask from Michel, so my answers could be wrong!

I weighed my old Eddy Custom Kevlar and it was 1,467g. My Thibault mold full kevlar mask weighed 1,430g. The thing I remember when I first wore the Thibault Protechsport was that it felt dramatically lighter, probably due to the better fit and weight distribution.

My newer Lalime mold full kevlar weighed in at 1,335g so the mold that you get will make a difference in the actual weight. Fiberglass models will obviously weigh more than the kevlar ones.

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, WannabeGoalie said:

I don't think the forums/most computers can read/load HEIC files by default. I've converted them to JPG for you.

Does Michel sign his masks now?! I asked him to do it for my first Protech back in 2010, but he didn't do it/forgot to do it.

IMG_6050.thumb.jpg.a71e4bddfdf93e8a8946fcccb21cf7f0.jpgIMG_6135.thumb.jpg.a0471a5334dc079d1897651d59f5459f.jpgIMG_6134.thumb.jpg.186e332b8f175825beb072783b2ce48d.jpgIMG_6048.thumb.jpg.530f56a90cc93c7988d0af57d78ff3d7.jpgIMG_6133.thumb.jpg.01fa50646b177b729e96eb01030a6d2f.jpg

• Like 2