Hockey Chat Thread

SaveByRichter35

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Draft leagues are always something interesting to me. My dad's old timers league was more of a collection of 4-5 teams and they'd switch up everybody each year. So everyone got a chance to play with everyone and got a chance to be on the good team or bad team.

Their end of year parties were something, let me tell ya. You have a collection of 60-70 40+ hockey players that are all friends get together for beers. Those old guys start to get real rowdy.

I love it.  It's stress-free and nobody really cares that much what happens, but it's competitive and fun and friendly.  Good culture around this division, lots of beer drinking in the parking lot and laughs and good times.  I think the fact that A) I can butterfly, B) slide laterally, and C) have no leather straps on my pads means most guys think I'm the best goalie in the division even if I got rocked for 11 once, haha.

It's hockey that is good for the heart and soul......sometimes rough on a competitive try-hard like myself.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, seagoal said:

@Chenner29

going back to our higher vs lower level hockey discussion, here's how my current season is shaping up.

Higher level main team-Divison 4/5:

image.png.bf588971343919175fdea3968a4e7e86.png

Lower level team-Division 5/6:

image.png.94f6037f6c189d42fced85b44bc6f42f.png

Tells a story, that's for sure.

It doesn't look like your lower league team is helping you out very much, and your higher level team is stomping everyone.  I'm seeing the opposite in my leagues.

I'm pretty sure my 35+ team is "too good" for the league, which is sad to say because they can't connect a pass out of the defensive zone to save their collective lives and the overall pace is really slow.

I'm getting decent shot counts, but the lanes they take for zone entry and net drives are predictable.  Nobody enters the offensive zone with speed - they all skate to their spot and stop, take the pass and then either break into the zone or get smothered.

I'm honestly starting to think playing this level is pushing me back to some bad habits - I've caught myself playing sub-optimally in many situations, like not challenging enough on outnumbered attacks (because I know the shooter won't hit that extra net I'm giving them), doubting my edgework because the shooter held onto the puck a split second longer than I am expecting, being under or over-square on bad to dead angles, etc.

Probably won't be back next season.  I'd bail on this season but the team covered me and comped a jersey so I feel bad.  But it's getting to the point where I don't even wanna put my gear in the bag and go to these lower level games, and I don't like that feeling. 

Here's my stat lines, upper team in each block is my 35+ team and bottom team is my silver league.

Lot of missing data, they're not tracking GAA or shots.

I really dislike the stat tracking app we use.  D for defeat and N for ties?  Why can't we just use WLT like normal people?

And PPG (power play goal) and PPG (points per game) is kind of dumb

image.thumb.png.2a5fc27b20c4fd9695811d20cbdf05da.png

6 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Those 11 and 8 goal games sure do. whooooooooooo boyyyyyy

Oh man

I got blown out in my silver game this week.  Other team decided to bring in a pair of guys playing in the SPHL.  It's low tier pro hockey, but these guys were pretty good and more annoyingly, were going hard every shift.  I know it's beer league and anyone can play, but what the fuck - this is silver.  I'd expect that in gold.

22 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

It doesn't look like your lower league team is helping you out very much, and your higher level team is stomping everyone.  I'm seeing the opposite in my leagues.

I'm pretty sure my 35+ team is "too good" for the league, which is sad to say because they can't connect a pass out of the defensive zone to save their collective lives and the overall pace is really slow.

I'm getting decent shot counts, but the lanes they take for zone entry and net drives are predictable.  Nobody enters the offensive zone with speed - they all skate to their spot and stop, take the pass and then either break into the zone or get smothered.

I'm honestly starting to think playing this level is pushing me back to some bad habits - I've caught myself playing sub-optimally in many situations, like not challenging enough on outnumbered attacks (because I know the shooter won't hit that extra net I'm giving them), doubting my edgework because the shooter held onto the puck a split second longer than I am expecting, being under or over-square on bad to dead angles, etc.

Probably won't be back next season.  I'd bail on this season but the team covered me and comped a jersey so I feel bad.  But it's getting to the point where I don't even wanna put my gear in the bag and go to these lower level games, and I don't like that feeling. 

Definitely one the of the reasons I'm moving on from one of my teams. While the level isn't as bad as what you describe yours to be, it's probably a step above that. When switching from decent hockey to that, it becomes a scenario like our previous discussion where you get in your own head to be better than the level and it always ends up being detrimental to ones own psyche.

Having a more consistent level of play, as well as not having to slip into bad habits to cater to a lower level can only be better for my game as a whole.

It also makes me an elitist. 😎

Here's my stat lines, upper team in each block is my 35+ team and bottom team is my silver league.

Lot of missing data, they're not tracking GAA or shots.

I really dislike the stat tracking app we use.  D for defeat and N for ties?  Why can't we just use WLT like normal people?

And PPG (power play goal) and PPG (points per game) is kind of dumb

My favourite part is that they count Overtime and Shootout "Defeats" as losses: OL + SL.

Oh man

I got blown out in my silver game this week.  Other team decided to bring in a pair of guys playing in the SPHL.  It's low tier pro hockey, but these guys were pretty good and more annoyingly, were going hard every shift.  I know it's beer league and anyone can play, but what the fuck - this is silver.  I'd expect that in gold.

I had a similar story of a guy who's on some KHL team came out to a mid tier game. Dude took it easy and it was obvious he was doing so, until the last period where he hadn't scored (because of yours truly 😎) and he eventually decided that he wasn't going to go home from a mid tier game without at least one goal. Took him a bit, but he beat nice and good.

That was only a portion of a period of that guy going hard, could only imagine how obnoxious those SPHL guys would've been. I'm surprised no one hacked the bone. They're playing with fire doing that.

7 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I had a similar story of a guy who's on some KHL team came out to a mid tier game. Dude took it easy and it was obvious he was doing so, until the last period where he hadn't scored (because of yours truly 😎) and he eventually decided that he wasn't going to go home from a mid tier game without at least one goal. Took him a bit, but he beat nice and good.

Giggity

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Quick mock up of a design that I'm 80% happy with. Needs some tweaks, but fun to think about.

Though, I still feel limited with Warrior's graphic options. The lower white portion of the pad are single colour zones which, like my GT2, feels like it suffocates the design process a bit.

At least the leaks form the G6 look to show a graphic that goes across the entire face of the pad...

Untitled.png.5cdafcf0354969ade0a79ba741a79ff9.pngUntitled2.png.04fcff31aeb780cc106564edd0537c09.pngUntitled3.thumb.png.5a9c0a2b31b659c8c59fd9b535eb358a.pngUntitled4.thumb.png.caf38c8d57a1a32bf8f327c2c163c153.png

Gotta be honest brother; this is not doing it for me. Too much white I think…(?) look forward to seeing other ideas though.

3 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Gotta be honest brother; this is not doing it for me. Too much white I think…(?) look forward to seeing other ideas though.

I mean, it was a ten minute mock up I did at work between tasks for a colour scheme I'm not going to get. My, I guess, main team rocks ranger colours which my pads do a good enough job of matching.

And I get what you mean, however, that white space is two colour zones. So the flexibility does take a hit.

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I mean, it was a ten minute mock up I did at work between tasks for a colour scheme I'm not going to get. My, I guess, main team rocks ranger colours which my pads do a good enough job of matching.

And I get what you mean, however, that white space is two colour zones. So the flexibility does take a hit.

That’s fair enough. I’ve never dabbled with their customizer (because Brian’s) but I remember you and others saying the colour zones are limiting

1 minute ago, Lucky Pucker said:

That’s fair enough. I’ve never dabbled with their customizer (because Brian’s) but I remember you and others saying the colour zones are limiting

Here's my set brand new. The bottom third of the pad that's all blue is one, yes one, colour zone.

Their graphics are easy to match to a lot of teams, but that's at the expense of a lot of customization.

20190628_180713.jpg.172da2056bc61f36ab4cd528ae5096d9.thumb.jpg.d7b9b29f034bb3b264010804a19b9da3.jpg

12 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

So another quick mockup but in Ranger colours. It's really easy to create a nice simple design, especially one that fits a teams jerseys, but it's tough to make something unique enough that it stands out.

Untitled.png.efd2df4286d9c5758410e473bf485fe5.pngUntitled2.png.6d6762eb3a53b74e066dc6aec772d3cf.pngUntitled3.thumb.png.ff1b5fec714e5fb2eb3362e7ec3bf1dc.pngUntitled4.thumb.png.00f5cd9eb66b40ea57ac73fa895dc341.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So another quick mockup but in Ranger colours. It's really easy to create a nice simple design, especially one that fits a teams jerseys, but it's tough to make something unique enough that it stands out.

Untitled.png.efd2df4286d9c5758410e473bf485fe5.pngUntitled2.png.6d6762eb3a53b74e066dc6aec772d3cf.pngUntitled3.thumb.png.ff1b5fec714e5fb2eb3362e7ec3bf1dc.pngUntitled4.thumb.png.00f5cd9eb66b40ea57ac73fa895dc341.png

This one I like- but your point is well taken. Moreover, I like your current set a lot, but as you say, simple designs - however striking - mask the rather large colour zones. 

• 2 weeks later...

So my Veteran team, the Long Island Warriors are hosting the Philadelphia Flyers Warriors and the Pittsburgh Penguins Warriors this weekend.  We play Philadelphia today at 1pm and Pittsburgh tomorrow at 1.  The New Jersey Warriors team had to drop out so we filled their spot with a local brewery's team, the Blue Point Brewery Hockey Club.  Not sure how that came about but we're playing them today at 4.  Apparently there is going to be a bunch of media there for the Flyer game today as well as reps from the Islanders, who we're supposed to be affiliated with but we don't get nearly as much from them as the Pennsylvania teams get from their respective NHL clubs(:baller:).  I just learned that our 501c3 cleared last week so hopefully that gets the ball rolling on that going forward.

On 8/21/2021 at 10:45 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

So my Veteran team, the Long Island Warriors are hosting the Philadelphia Flyers Warriors and the Pittsburgh Penguins Warriors this weekend.  We play Philadelphia today at 1pm and Pittsburgh tomorrow at 1.  The New Jersey Warriors team had to drop out so we filled their spot with a local brewery's team, the Blue Point Brewery Hockey Club.  Not sure how that came about but we're playing them today at 4.  Apparently there is going to be a bunch of media there for the Flyer game today as well as reps from the Islanders, who we're supposed to be affiliated with but we don't get nearly as much from them as the Pennsylvania teams get from their respective NHL clubs(:baller:).  I just learned that our 501c3 cleared last week so hopefully that gets the ball rolling on that going forward.

So this "hurricane" ruined today.  All 3 games today were canceled because of rain.  Unbelievable.  Anyway, the Pennsylvania teams have already hit the road back home.  We finished yesterday 2-0, defeating Philadelphia 11-3 and Blue Point Brewery 7-3.  Never got a chance to hit the ice with Pittsburgh unfortunately.  We had a great time hanging out after the days games with all 4 teams BBQing in the parking lot for several hours until it started to downpour.  Looking forward to what the future holds for this team.  

79D109B0-4F99-44E9-91FC-F37EFC2E4922.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

So this "hurricane" ruined today.  All 3 games today were canceled because of rain.  Unbelievable.  Anyway, the Pennsylvania teams have already hit the road back home.  We finished yesterday 2-0, defeating Philadelphia 11-3 and Blue Point Brewery 7-3.  Never got a chance to hit the ice with Pittsburgh unfortunately.  We had a great time hanging out after the days games with all 4 teams BBQing in the parking lot for several hours until it started to downpour.  Looking forward to what the future holds for this team. 

Damn, I feel like doing pushups all of a sudden

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2021 at 7:58 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Just found out we're going to be traveling down to Philadelphia again to play the Flyers Warriors Tier 1 team at the Wells Fargo Center on the NHL ice at the end of the month.  

If I go. Nothing but boos. Maybe a few D cells. If it were snowing... snowballs for sure would be landing in the crease.

I'll be there once I catch the subway..

Flyers Fan GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Maybe next train.

• Haha 2