Hockey Chat Thread

SaveByRichter35

6 hours ago, MTH said:

Just start looking for grave plots now... 

I decided I will be Uncle bunnyman in the hallway closet. My cremains will forever be in a box in the hallway closet until someone either accidentally throws them away or puts them in an attic and leaves them for the next occupant. 

• Like 1

So my daughter is on a “competitive” team… so competitive that the cost doubled. Nice uniforms, extra ice times, fancy coaches and drills… but with that, is goalering still an after thought? Yup.
Anyway, my daughter volunteered for an exhibition game tonight. I didn’t get a chance to teach her anything, and she never got to practice. Also, I had to get my daughter AND the other goalie all kitted out in the “club’s gear,” including and improvised toe tie repair - because with all the dads in the room who played such and such for so and so years, they know fuck all about goalies. Anyhoo, she enjoyed it, and said she wants to do it again. We’ll see. We’d have a lot to work on. And a trip to the LHS to get her gear game up to snuff. But I love the pictures!

8350845A-9781-421E-AFF8-ECA4B2F67FE0.jpeg

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

So my daughter is on a “competitive” team… so competitive that the cost doubled. Nice uniforms, extra ice times, fancy coaches and drills… but with that, is goalering still an after thought? Yup.
Anyway, my daughter volunteered for an exhibition game tonight. I didn’t get a chance to teach her anything, and she never got to practice. Also, I had to get my daughter AND the other goalie all kitted out in the “club’s gear,” including and improvised toe tie repair - because with all the dads in the room who played such and such for so and so years, they know fuck all about goalies. Anyhoo, she enjoyed it, and said she wants to do it again. We’ll see. We’d have a lot to work on. And a trip to the LHS to get her gear game up to snuff. But I love the pictures!

Well, this happened this morning:

143EAC6D-2A35-40D6-8FB4-4E7448FF953A.jpeg

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I have 2 goalie daughters, one in U13, one in U18. It's been a lot of fun...and stress! We won't even talk about the financial side- they are too far apart in age and size to keep a lot of hand-me-down, and kid 2 has been blowing past the sizing of stuff I try to hold anyway.

Have fun, I hope she keeps it up!

20190811_150248.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 2padstack said:

I have 2 goalie daughters, one in U13, one in U18. It's been a lot of fun...and stress! We won't even talk about the financial side- they are too far apart in age and size to keep a lot of hand-me-down, and kid 2 has been blowing past the sizing of stuff I try to hold anyway.

Have fun, I hope she keeps it up!

20190811_150248.jpg

Fantastic! They look to be Warrior fans… is that what you wear? 
After my son tried goalie, and decided to stay a skater, I’d say “he’s smarter than his old man”. Now that my daughter seems keen to join the union, I’ll have to change my narrative (although she too is smarter than the old man - lol)

I have a Vaughn set and a Passau set, I've never worn anything Warrior but I had Smith SP5000 gloves that I recently retired. I like the Warrior stuff for girls, it's light, very adjustable and breaks in pretty easy. I'm also the goalie equipment coordinator for our city girls hockey system and when I get to buy new gear that's what I get. They both have Warrior pads and Passau gloves now, seems to be the preference. We lucked into some never used senior gloves with intermediate palms for the older one for a steal.

My older one wanted to be a goalie out of the blue, just came up one day right before tryouts started. Went into camp, she had never had a shot taken on her, zero goalie training, so that was a rough year, but she has gotten a lot better. I think the younger one wanted to take after big sister, and she is doing well.

This is probably hardest on the wife, mostly because of the amount of gear that is taking up our basement! I'll have to get pics of our newly built goalie room for that thread.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2021 at 1:30 AM, 2padstack said:

This is probably hardest on the wife, mostly because of the amount of gear that is taking up our basement! 

We all feel your pain with that.

My neighbors call my garage 'play it again sports'.

• Haha 1

I'm excited for my kid to be old enough to play hockey. He's still too small to be on skates, but he knows all the words: "helmet," "jersey," "gloves," etc. The funniest is that he will point to every goalie picture/video and say "Dada!" - glad he think's I'm as good as the goalies on TV 🤣

So I wasn't sure if my son wanted to continue playing Hockey this year, he's always been a bit lukewarm to sports and I never would want to pressure him into it (I just want him to have fun with a winter sport), and we will revisit the question next year I'm sure if he wants to continue.

I'm not sure what came over him last weekend for his first game of the season, but he played so incredibly well, best that I've ever seen him do. Stopped about 5+ breakaways and only let in 1 off of a third rebound. I was so proud of him. He was stunned that he received the Player of the Game Golden Jersey, but it was unanimous by everyone who saw his play. I just wish I had more pictures of him, the only one I got was of him stretching/practicing while the puck was in the other zone (again something that he did on his own that I never saw him do before).

1 (1).jpeg

1.jpeg

• Like 6

The shootout is definitely beat. Ties will not kill anyone. Nobody is fooled into thinking that a team 'won the game' after a carny game shootout.

Sexy Carnies | Hate on Hater

3 on 3 or whatever in OT is tolerable.

Tie game = one point each. 

Also, drop the loser point for losing in OT. So millennial. 

Edited by MTH
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MTH said:

The shootout is definitely beat. Ties will not kill anyone. Nobody is fooled into thinking that a team 'won the game' after a carny game shootout.

Sexy Carnies | Hate on Hater

3 on 3 or whatever in OT is tolerable.

Tie game = one point each. 

An alternative would be regulation only. Three points for a win, one point for a tie. That would actually reward teams for winning since teams that win would pull away in the standings from teams that tend to tie. 
Of course, owners might not like that. They want everyone alive until the end of the season.  
Then the playoffs would have overtime as per usual. 

• Like 1

I had to pull my helmet off mid-game for I think the first time ever last night.  Hard wrist shot from below the circle to my right.  I squared up perfectly, nice and tall, and wham.....felt like I got punched right in the cheek bone.  Bottom right clip came off and my helmet dropped kinda over my eyes a bit.  Refs are not playing attention to me and I yelling "hey, hey" nothing.  Puck is still cycling in my zone and I just put my glove in front of my face and pulled it off.  Get a whistle.  Refs consult (about a penalty on me??) but nothing.  Get it back on.  Guy who shot it apologized.  Face off to my right.

Fun times.

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

I had to pull my helmet off mid-game for I think the first time ever last night.  Hard wrist shot from below the circle to my right.  I squared up perfectly, nice and tall, and wham.....felt like I got punched right in the cheek bone.  Bottom right clip came off and my helmet dropped kinda over my eyes a bit.  Refs are not playing attention to me and I yelling "hey, hey" nothing.  Puck is still cycling in my zone and I just put my glove in front of my face and pulled it off.  Get a whistle.  Refs consult (about a penalty on me??) but nothing.  Get it back on.  Guy who shot it apologized.  Face off to my right.

Fun times.

Usually showing the ref the loose strap after the helmet is off is enough to void any potential penalty.

I got pegged between the eyes three times on my game on Sunday. One managed to pop the clips, other two just left a wonderful burning rubber smell.

Luckily that leagues is pretty conservative with any direct shots to the helmet and it's an immediate whistle.

19 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Usually showing the ref the loose strap after the helmet is off is enough to void any potential penalty.

I got pegged between the eyes three times on my game on Sunday. One managed to pop the clips, other two just left a wonderful burning rubber smell.

Luckily that leagues is pretty conservative with any direct shots to the helmet and it's an immediate whistle.

yeah, this ref was not paying attention to me.  There is 1 ref in our league who is very detail focused and he's given me whistles immediately for loose straps before.

Wow, so you get a whistle and a check-in for any puck to the head?  That's a good abundance of caution, especially for rec league.

3 minutes ago, seagoal said:

yeah, this ref was not paying attention to me.  There is 1 ref in our league who is very detail focused and he's given me whistles immediately for loose straps before.

Wow, so you get a whistle and a check-in for any puck to the head?  That's a good abundance of caution, especially for rec league.

Only in this league do they do an automatic whistle regardless of how hard the shot was. The other leagues are up to a refs discretion as per what I assume is the norm.

I don't generally have refs check up on me though. But that's more due to me generally being unaffected by shots to the dome than their lack of care. I've seen them give goalies plenty of time to regain their composure from a headshot if it looks like they're wheeling a bit.

On 10/22/2021 at 10:06 PM, MTH said:

I think loser points/participation awards can more so be attributed to parents of millennials. 

@seagoal In that scenario when safety is the issue, I'm pushing the net off for a whistle. 

Edited by insertnamehere
  • Like 1