Hockey Chat Thread

SaveByRichter35

35 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

As good a place as any to post this…

my son - whose father is a hard ass - and still manages to be a great kid despite (because of?) it, had sort outs for his Atom house league this week. Because his old man has been running practices and will be head coach of one of the teams, he (the old man, aka Hard Ass) asked for the rankings afterwards.
My kid was ranked as the strongest of 22 players, scoring 31 of a possible 36 points.

Hard Ass Dad is secretly very fucking proud of his boy.

So you're saying the Head Coaches kid was ranked first?

Nepotism is great innit? ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So you're saying the Head Coaches kid was ranked first?

Nepotism is great innit? ;)

Lookit, K? If I’m volunteering my time to be on the ice with other people’s kids, and those other kids trip over my stick, or can’t find a puck for the shooting and stickhandling drills, or can’t get the door open for a shift change in the scrimmage, is that my fault….? 
😋

• Haha 2

I subbed in a game last night and got a win, 4-1. The one on me was the first shot of the game and total garbage.  Guy had the pack sharp to my left, below the circle and there was a guy by himself in the slot waiting for a pass.  I'm thinking pass, one timer, short slide up and over to my right, easy save.  Nope. I'm not sure if my body was cheating before the puck got going to me but my mind was for sure.  Off-speed bouncer behind me that hit my skate and in.  Oops.  Played really well after that though, 30 saves, and that was a wrap.

I did something really stupid in the 2nd though.  My stick got loose and behind my right post.  Puck in my zone and we finally take possession and move it out.  Just over our blue line my guy gets pickpocketed and the puck stolen.  I was crouching down and returning to my feet with my stick now.  Guy rips a hard shot blocker side and I didn't have enough time to turn my blocker forward into position so my thought was have it hit the sidewall.  Nope.  Hit my thumb and my thumb exploded.  Pretty ouchy, bruised and bleeding.

So dumb.   But fun.   :)

7 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

And you're not sharing the gnarly pictures?

Didn't we have a bruise/injury thread at one point?

Yeah, I couldn't find that thread though.  Mostly threads about unprotective gear and bruises.  Plus, it's wrapped in band aids and hockey tape right now so it's not very exciting right now.  When I rewrap it later I can post a pic.

6 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Yeah, I couldn't find that thread though.  Mostly threads about unprotective gear and bruises.  Plus, it's wrapped in band aids and hockey tape right now so it's not very exciting right now.  When I rewrap it later I can post a pic.

https://www.thegoalnet.com/forums/topic/978-injuries-of-the-trade/

Thread could definitely use a revival

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, seagoal said:

20 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

And you're not sharing the gnarly pictures?

Didn't we have a bruise/injury thread at one point?

I think I know the one you mean - in fact, I started that thread:

Sound bad about your thumb, @seagoal... I was going to maybe post about my own thumb injury, though it's nowhere near as bad. I had my glove off coaching my son's team this weekend, to pick up pucks ahead of the scrimmage. My thumb got smashed between two pucks as a kid rocketed a pass over to me to "be helpful." Luckily it was just the nail - not the joint.

image.thumb.png.7fd93c2522ab6fd2081c482df440f6bf.png

Crazy series of events tonight before my game.  I had an unusually stressful day at work that kinda had me on edge.  I'm normally pretty immune to work stress.  Today just got to me. 

My game tonight was at 9:05 and I typically get to the rink an hour before.  So I packed my bag around 7:00 and hung out with my dogs. My partner is out of town right now so I am solely on dog duty. My gear is loaded in the car so I'm inside and let the dogs out to the yard before getting them in their crates.  The older one comes in, no problem.  The younger one is still in the yard... I grab my wallet and keys and mask and I call for him, nothing.  All of a sudden I hear this horrific screeching squeal and then it suddenly stops.  I run out and see him with a mouse in his mouth prancing around the yard like a show pony all perky and proud. I know better than to think I can get this from him in my yard which is a circle around my house and so I can't corner him or isolate him.  So now it's a game: how do I get this mouse from him and get him inside so I can go to my game? I go inside and get the bag of treats we have, shake them, and get his attention. But of course, the value of the treats does not outweigh the value of the mouse, so no go. Ok.  Critical thinking time. I break the treats into dozens of pieces and toss them around the yard and go inside. My plan is to get him to drop the mouse, freely graze on the spread out treats, sneak up on him, run to the mouse before he gets to it, grab the mouse and remove it from the yard, and then I win.  

It totally worked, ha. Success.  So I go inside and he follows and goes right into his crate and lays down.  I leave the house and get to the rink and there are already 5 bags in our room and one is in "my spot" because I am late.  No big deal. 

Go out and play okay, we ended up tied at 4 at the end.  Fun game.  Work drama and my dog's mouse hunting crept into my mind a few times and derailed my game a bit.  But all in all, it was fun and we had good times in the room with beer afterwords.  A pretty dumb day all in all but one of those life days where everything just seems ridiculous and funny and stressful all at the same time. 

Cheers. 

3 hours ago, seagoal said:

Crazy series of events tonight before my game.  I had an unusually stressful day at work that kinda had me on edge.  I'm normally pretty immune to work stress.  Today just got to me. 

My game tonight was at 9:05 and I typically get to the rink an hour before.  So I packed my bag around 7:00 and hung out with my dogs. My partner is out of town right now so I am solely on dog duty. My gear is loaded in the car so I'm inside and let the dogs out to the yard before getting them in their crates.  The older one comes in, no problem.  The younger one is still in the yard... I grab my wallet and keys and mask and I call for him, nothing.  All of a sudden I hear this horrific screeching squeal and then it suddenly stops.  I run out and see him with a mouse in his mouth prancing around the yard like a show pony all perky and proud. I know better than to think I can get this from him in my yard which is a circle around my house and so I can't corner him or isolate him.  So now it's a game: how do I get this mouse from him and get him inside so I can go to my game? I go inside and get the bag of treats we have, shake them, and get his attention. But of course, the value of the treats does not outweigh the value of the mouse, so no go. Ok.  Critical thinking time. I break the treats into dozens of pieces and toss them around the yard and go inside. My plan is to get him to drop the mouse, freely graze on the spread out treats, sneak up on him, run to the mouse before he gets to it, grab the mouse and remove it from the yard, and then I win.  

It totally worked, ha. Success.  So I go inside and he follows and goes right into his crate and lays down.  I leave the house and get to the rink and there are already 5 bags in our room and one is in "my spot" because I am late.  No big deal. 

Go out and play okay, we ended up tied at 4 at the end.  Fun game.  Work drama and my dog's mouse hunting crept into my mind a few times and derailed my game a bit.  But all in all, it was fun and we had good times in the room with beer afterwords.  A pretty dumb day all in all but one of those life days where everything just seems ridiculous and funny and stressful all at the same time. 

Cheers. 

I don't make a big fuss about it, but at a couple of the rinks I frequent there is a spot that appears specifically designed to accommodate a goalie and I hate it when someone else takes it!

Your dog will have blissful dreams of hunting rodents now for the rest of his life. ha ha. Will now run out the door every time to get another.

Just be glad he didn't bring it in the house.

My story= dog + dog door + baby rabbits + not home all day = finding a few dead baby rabbits in our bed when climbing in for the night.

Thought my foot hit a chewed up wet dog chew.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, insertnamehere said:

I don't make a big fuss about it, but at a couple of the rinks I frequent there is a spot that appears specifically designed to accommodate a goalie and I hate it when someone else takes it!

I always sit with no one to my right so most locker rooms have 2 spots I can take.  There was one open last night just not the one I take when I'm first one in the room. 

1 hour ago, MTH said:

Your dog will have blissful dreams of hunting rodents now for the rest of his life. ha ha. Will now run out the door every time to get another.

Just be glad he didn't bring it in the house.

My story= dog + dog door + baby rabbits + not home all day = finding a few dead baby rabbits in our bed when climbing in for the night.

Thought my foot hit a chewed up wet dog chew.

That's hilarious and gross.  Damn dogs. He did seem super content and fulfilled after hockey that's for sure.

Sold my Vaughn VE8 C/A and bought a new project again 😆

This time it is (finally) a Passau. I don't know the generation but it should be white which I don't really like to start with. But for 40 euros and to own a Passau. I don't expect it to be in a new-like condition but it should be pretty good still. 

Just forgot to pick up the packet but tomorrow I'll give myself a new chance...

14 hours ago, seagoal said:

Cheers. 

9:05 is a weird time to start a game. That f--ked me up more than the rest of the story. 

• Haha 2

On 10/7/2021 at 10:22 PM, ArdeFIN said:

Sold my Vaughn VE8 C/A and bought a new project again 😆

This time it is (finally) a Passau. I don't know the generation but it should be white which I don't really like to start with. But for 40 euros and to own a Passau. I don't expect it to be in a new-like condition but it should be pretty good still. 

Just forgot to pick up the packet but tomorrow I'll give myself a new chance...

The fabrics all around are really good, they do show the use but really not much to repair. 

Then the padding, that instead is dead. All the plastics are out of shape or broken and all the softer foams have been squeezed or worn out to dust. 

Didn't get any actual pictures but mine looks alot like this one from SLS:

ruoto.jpg.67a6d2fee3bcf5970284a874065a6de3.jpg

There's a lot to do before it's back in the level I wan't to have when playing. But there's no hurry, I can go with my Brown and maybe with the FrankenCCM that is building in a slow pace too.

And what's more it is interesting to open the Passau and see how they've done the protection. Constructionally I didn't see anything special.