Hockey Chat Thread

SaveByRichter35

On 9/9/2021 at 11:03 AM, MTH said:

If I go. Nothing but boos. Maybe a few D cells. If it were snowing... snowballs for sure would be landing in the crease.

I'll be there once I catch the subway..

Flyers Fan GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Maybe next train.

Unfortunately it was already cancelled.  Too many of our guys couldn't make it.  Sucks, I was really looking forward to this game.  Maybe next time.

• 2 weeks later...

I regularly skate out in the lowest level beer league. Last night we had 7 skaters for a playoff game. We were rotating 3 defenses and 4 forwards. We were up 1-0 until about a minute and a half left. Our 78 year old defenseman, who is actually pretty good at the low level, broke his leg in two places. This caused a 10 minute or so delay and a faceoff in our end. They tied a few seconds after the faceoff and ended up winning in the shootout. Watching our old man suffering in pain really took the wind out of our sails. 

• Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Wake42 said:

I regularly skate out in the lowest level beer league. Last night we had 7 skaters for a playoff game. We were rotating 3 defenses and 4 forwards. We were up 1-0 until about a minute and a half left. Our 78 year old defenseman, who is actually pretty good at the low level, broke his leg in two places. This caused a 10 minute or so delay and a faceoff in our end. They tied a few seconds after the faceoff and ended up winning in the shootout. Watching our old man suffering in pain really took the wind out of our sails. 

Hope your buddy is going to be alright!

Well, I took a run at a guy tonight in my 40+ game.  He totally deserved it, but, we have to be careful with this stuff in this division.  The vibe of the division doesn't take this stuff well and rightfully so.  But at the same time, I look at it like "if you start something, don't get mad at me for finishing it."

Up 3-2 late in the 3rd. I'm playing reall well this game and so is the other goalie, a good friend of mine.   Lots of time and pressure in my zone, their captain, a very good hockey player, gets a good wrap around from behind on my left side, I make the save and the puck sorta spins out to my right a bit.  As I go to get on top of it well in the crease....I'm on the goal line and playing zone with the puck keeping it away from the line...this guy charges in and starts hacking at me.  I'm on top of the puck and he is hacking at me so hard in the crease he manages to move me and frees the puck, at which point I snap and spring up to my feet, both gloves in his face, and just start pushing.  The puck actually goes in, the ref immediately waves it off, and the guy falls.  

He's perplexed why it's not a goal.  I say "are you F'ing kidding me?"  The ref comes in and says : " look, first off you are in the crease interfering with him and you can't do that.  Second off, he was on top of the puck and you moved him off of it and you can't do that.  Yes, it was free when you hit it in, but that doesn't matter.  It's no goal."

Ha.  I wish I woulda puffed up and said "yeah, what he said."  But I did not.  I immediately crouched down and lined up for the face off.  The moment was done.  I held my ground.  Did my duty.  Time to move on.  

We won 4-2 with an empty net.  Super fun game. 

He apologized to me twice and I apologized to my teammates in the locker room.  They supported me.  No harm done, thankfully. 

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, seagoal said:

Well, I took a run at a guy tonight in my 40+ game.  He totally deserved it, but, we have to be careful with this stuff in this division.  The vibe of the division doesn't take this stuff well and rightfully so.  But at the same time, I look at it like "if you start something, don't get mad at me for finishing it."

Up 3-2 late in the 3rd. I'm playing reall well this game and so is the other goalie, a good friend of mine.   Lots of time and pressure in my zone, their captain, a very good hockey player, gets a good wrap around from behind on my left side, I make the save and the puck sorta spins out to my right a bit.  As I go to get on top of it well in the crease....I'm on the goal line and playing zone with the puck keeping it away from the line...this guy charges in and starts hacking at me.  I'm on top of the puck and he is hacking at me so hard in the crease he manages to move me and frees the puck, at which point I snap and spring up to my feet, both gloves in his face, and just start pushing.  The puck actually goes in, the ref immediately waves it off, and the guy falls.  

He's perplexed why it's not a goal.  I say "are you F'ing kidding me?"  The ref comes in and says : " look, first off you are in the crease interfering with him and you can't do that.  Second off, he was on top of the puck and you moved him off of it and you can't do that.  Yes, it was free when you hit it in, but that doesn't matter.  It's no goal."

Ha.  I wish I woulda puffed up and said "yeah, what he said."  But I did not.  I immediately crouched down and lined up for the face off.  The moment was done.  I held my ground.  Did my duty.  Time to move on.  

He apologized to me twice and I apologized to my teammates in the locker room.  They supported me.  No harm done, thankfully. 

I was hoping to read a story where you took a Billy Smith style hack at his head with your stick LOL

Edited by bunnyman666
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I was hoping to read a story where you took a Billy Smith style hack at his head with your stick LOL

Nah, LOL.

I wouldn't do that and for sure they'd suspend or throw out anyone who did that.  Explicit expectations not to do that stuff in this division.  Which is precisely why I took exception to this guy hacking at me on the goal line.  

12 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So question for ya here @seagoal, where were your defenseman to put him on his ass?

Good question.  And not sure.  Watching in awe of the guy hacking at me?? I was on all 4s looking down at the last few millimeters of the goal line.  

I tell you what though: if this stuff happens on my other team,  my main team, this guy gets mauled.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Good question.  And not sure.  Watching in awe of the guy hacking at me?? I was on all 4s looking down at the last few millimeters of the goal line.  

I tell you what though: if this stuff happens on my other team,  my main team, this guy gets mauled.

Most teams don't generally let that stuff go lol. Had a similar situation happen last night too, hell even in a 3-2 game as well. (twinsies).

My teammates put the guy down and I just skated away. I generally never participate in the rough stuff.

If I'm off limits, then that means I'm not allowed to get in there.

Edited by coopaloop1234

I don't know how it is in your guys necks of the woods but where I'm at its the age old mens league conundrum...

If the refs just called the first few marginal things to set the bar - it'd probably be fine 99 times out of 100. Its when they just want to get the game over as quick as possible and swallow their whistles that dickheads like this guy push the boundaries and force everyone else to escalate accordingly.

My two cents on peeps acting like tools in mens league. I'm all for going hard... but not being a hard on.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Nah, LOL.

I wouldn't do that and for sure they'd suspend or throw out anyone who did that.  Explicit expectations not to do that stuff in this division.  Which is precisely why I took exception to this guy hacking at me on the goal line.  

I understand. I just had to say it. I have only been in two near-fights in hockey as an adult, and both times, there were five other guys wanting to go after the clowns in question. 

41 minutes ago, chile57 said:

I don't know how it is in your guys necks of the woods but where I'm at its the age old mens league conundrum...

If the refs just called the first few marginal things to set the bar - it'd probably be fine 99 times out of 100. Its when they just want to get the game over as quick as possible and swallow their whistles that dickheads like this guy push the boundaries and force everyone else to escalate accordingly.

My two cents on peeps acting like tools in mens league. I'm all for going hard... but not being a hard on.

Not sure about Seagoals situation, but mine was a very clean game and it came down to a set of forwards trying to tie the game up after being frustrated by me for most of the night. Nothing malicious, just trying whatever they can to not walk away with a loss.

21 hours ago, seagoal said:

Fuck-ing unit. Absolute unit. We love you @seagoal

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So how's your guys' season going?

For some context, this is div 6 out of 21 in the 18+ league.

This league also has:

- (4) Weekend Only Divs
- (15) 30+ Divs
- (2) 40+ Divs
- (7) Women Only Divs
- (1) 50+ Div
- (1) 60+ Div

Untitled2.thumb.png.c017580b3b12c85e1ef7c0ed146bf121.png

Untitled.thumb.png.49a4ffefd453ee0df12ee9b0e11ba112.png

Solid, my Scottish brother! I think I finished my last season around 3.50 for GAA… 2.04 would be amaze-ballz for me! They don’t track shots for us; is it semi-reliable in terms of save percentage for your league?

Had my first pre-season game last night/this morning (11:15 start), got the W in a 3-2 final. Felt good, not at fault for the two goals against.

huh! Come to think of it, I now have a better GAA than you do! Lol!

10 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Solid, my Scottish brother! I think I finished my last season around 3.50 for GAA… 2.04 would be amaze-ballz for me! They don’t track shots for us; is it semi-reliable in terms of save percentage for your league?

Had my first pre-season game last night/this morning (11:15 start), got the W in a 3-2 final. Felt good, not at fault for the two goals against.

huh! Come to think of it, I now have a better GAA than you do! Lol!

My stats are generally all over the place. With how team compositions change, an assortment of division I play in, and hell, even getting more than 10 guys to even show up throws my stats all over the place.

I just wanted to brag because not only am I playing some of my best hockey so far, but the team I play with is fantastic. Defense core is generally solid and clear a lot of those would be goals that come on a third shot attempt. You know, their jobs lol.

Offense isn't exactly lighting it up, but they're starting to find their own in terms of chemistry. The defense have all played together for a few years, forwards are mostly all new guys.

And that start time. Ouch. I know when I was in my first year I played for this "Midnight Hockey League". All the games were 11 or 1130 at night on Friday nights.

I could never imagine doing those again. I get fussy about any starts 9:30 or later.

23 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

My stats are generally all over the place. With how team compositions change, an assortment of division I play in, and hell, even getting more than 10 guys to even show up throws my stats all over the place.

I just wanted to brag because not only am I playing some of my best hockey so far, but the team I play with is fantastic. Defense core is generally solid and clear a lot of those would be goals that come on a third shot attempt. You know, their jobs lol.

Offense isn't exactly lighting it up, but they're starting to find their own in terms of chemistry. The defense have all played together for a few years, forwards are mostly all new guys.

And that start time. Ouch. I know when I was in my first year I played for this "Midnight Hockey League". All the games were 11 or 1130 at night on Friday nights.

I could never imagine doing those again. I get fussy about any starts 9:30 or later.

Ha - yeah, we actually had 9-10 guys last night, and while I love my D, the goals were both on them (first goal one missed his mark at the side, second was a “third whack” kinda thing.) But it wasn’t really in a way that I minded too much (though I did think I was on my way to my first ever shut out, more than half way through without a goal. Soon… I hope!)

I’m the kid on my team, with everyone else in their 50s, so nobody likes the late start. We’re only supposed to have 1 or 2 a season, but they’ve had to absorb teams from other leagues that played at rinks that closed during the pandemic. Schedules are all over the place already… but I waited >30 years to get to do this, so a few hours later from time to time is manageable

11 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Ha - yeah, we actually had 9-10 guys last night, and while I love my D, the goals were both on them

You're fitting in well with the veteran goalies now

I did think I was on my way to my first ever shut out, more than half way through without a goal.

Classic trap. Never fall for the fake sense of security.

I’m the kid on my team, with everyone else in their 50s

Man, I think my teams old when I'm the baby on the team lol.

14 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You're fitting in well with the veteran goalies now

Thanks, bruh. I knew about “look good/feel good/play good” thing… but “talk good (smack about your D)” is a recent revelation for me.

16 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Classic trap. Never fall for the fake sense of security.

Yeah, it wouldn’t have felt deserved anyway; I’ve had more and better saves in other games. But man do I want to get one…

As good a place as any to post this…

my son - whose father is a hard ass - and still manages to be a great kid despite (because of?) it, had sort outs for his Atom house league this week. Because his old man has been running practices and will be head coach of one of the teams, he (the old man, aka Hard Ass) asked for the rankings afterwards.
My kid was ranked as the strongest of 22 players, scoring 31 of a possible 36 points.

Hard Ass Dad is secretly very fucking proud of his boy.

• Like 4