Hockey Chat Thread

SaveByRichter35

Had a strange conversation with a ref last night.  I have never seen him before AND to make this story even funnier, he was wearing a white helmet.  Clearly a new ref.

2 on 1 with the puck on my right.  Really good pass to my left, I push and slide, get there in time to make the save right in my belly and the puck drops in my pads' /\ and I get the whistle.  I end up sorta halfway between the crease and the bottom of the face off circle.

Ref comes over:

"Nice save."

"Thanks yeah, I read that one well."

"You know you can't cover the puck this far out, right?"

"Uhh, I did not know that, no."

"Yeah, you can't it's delay of game."

"Well technically I didn't cover it, it was in me after sliding out to make that save.  I think that's a legit whistle scenario."

"No, I'm telling you, it's delay of game and I'm warning you not to do that again.  You have to play those."

"Well, I accept your challenge, let's do it.  I think if we got some consensus on this, I'm right."

"Alright, I'm warning you."

"Cheers man."

Edited by seagoal

13 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Had a strange conversation with a ref last night.  I have never seen him before AND to make this story even funnier, he was wearing a white helmet.  Clearly a new ref.

2 on 1 with the puck on my right.  Really good pass to my left, I push and slide, get there in time to make the save right in my belly and the puck drops in my pads' /\ and I get the whistle.  I end up sorta halfway between the crease and the bottom of the face off circle.

Ref comes over:

"Nice save."

"Well technically I didn't cover it, it was in me after sliding out to make that save.  I think that's a legit whistle scenario."

"No, I'm telling you, it's delay of game and I'm warning you not to do that again.  You have to play those."

"Well, I accept your challenge, let's do it.  I think if we got some consensus on this, I'm right."

"Cheers man."

Ref is wrong.

Here's the excerpt from the USA Hockey Playing Rules:

(c) A minor penalty for delay of game shall be assessed to a
goalkeeper who falls on or gathers the puck into their body
and causes a stoppage of play when:

• (1) The puck is behind the goal line and their body is
  • entirely outside of the goal crease.
  • (2) They fail to play the puck with their stick when
  • provided the opportunity to do so prior to being
  • pressured by an attacking player.
  • (3) The puck is outside the boundaries of the
  • ”goalkeeper’s privileged” area.
  • (4) They hold or place the puck against any part of the
  • goal frame or boards or intentionally drops the puck on
  • the back of the netting.
  • (Note) The goalkeeper’s “Privileged Area” is an area
  • outlined by connecting the end zone face-off spots with an
  • imaginary line and imaginary lines from each face-off spot
  • running perpendicular to the end boards.

Anywhere in the blue box the goalie is allowed to freeze the puck. Some refs don't like it when you get into the circles portion, but they're still wrong to call it a delay of game.

HockeyRink-Zones.png

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Ref is wrong.

Here's the excerpt from the USA Hockey Playing Rules:

Anywhere in the blue box the goalie is allowed to freeze the puck. Some refs don't like it when you get into the circles portion, but they're still wrong to call it a delay of game.

HockeyRink-Zones.png

Thanks for that.  I've not seen that box drawn out like that but sorta just knew it from playing/watching hockey.  I think this new ref thinks of the "privileged area" as only the crease. 

3 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Thanks for that.  I've not seen that box drawn out like that but sorta just knew it from playing/watching hockey.  I think this new ref thinks of the "privileged area" as only the crease. 

Technically the box only goes to the goal line. Freezing the puck behind the goal line without being in the crease is a violation too.

Most refs are pretty lenient with how the goalie freezes it. Some get real uppity if you come out to freeze a loose puck at the circles when it wasn't a shot/save.

Hell, last game I played there was a pop fly and I dove out, caught it, and froze it while ending up inside the circle. Thought for sure the ref was going to give me a penalty but he didn't.

Always feels wrong freezing the puck that far out, but hey, it's allowed.

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, seagoal said:

Ref comes over:

"Nice save."

"Cheers man."

Ref was lazy and wanted to keep the game running

Goalie freeze = he has to work

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...