1S, NXG, or True 6.0 Stick?

Snowman30

14 hours ago, itis121 said:

Do most or old composite sticks have a foam core?  Look back to my vapor x:40 (Rip. Aug 2017) it has a foam insert on the inside. Similar to my vapor xx stick. 20171208_172036.thumb.jpg.d4c1d65d875e1ef3808197895f79fc69.jpg

They all do, except for the new Vapor stick, which has a balsa wood core. Some use carbon reinforcements (like ribs) to keep more fibre in the structure in the case of player sticks. A solid carbon or composite blade would be heavy, very pingy (as in never catch pucks very well for passes) and extremely expensive. The core actually provides much of the stiffness; the carbon wrap just reinforces it.

I have pretty well figured out how sticks are built- it really is not a difficult process. I have two reverse engineering theories I hope to get time to try. I hope I will end up testing my theories pretty soon. 

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been using Bauer composites for a while now. Favourite was the Reactor 6000 followed by the NXG. Both exceptionally durable. The new 1S I had one. Used for 15 games and broke. The S190 I also had, lasted for a year. The new 1S isn't worth the money for the weight/durability. I currently have a Ryan Miller Canucks NXG pro return and CR1's. both are great but I will most likely stick with the CR1's down the road pending durability test. 

The CR1's dampen vibrations better than ANY other composites I've ever used. The shots pop much better, and rebounds clear far and wide. It's hands down my new favorite. 

If it's too rich for someone's blood, the CR2's also a very good, lower priced alternative. 

On 12/4/2017 at 6:11 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

A couple of CR1's from the hockey shop. $100 off the price for each one. They're the first composites I've ever had and at that price, it's too hard not to snag em.  Playing with them tonight. Definitely will be fun.

So, gotta say, after a few higher level games to really get a feel for these sticks, I love them.

Taken a good few shots off of the shaft/paddle and while there is some vibration, it's barely noticeable. Yesterday I made 4 saves with the shaft and a few off of the paddle. Barely any uncomfortable feeling at all in my hand. Still need to get used to how hot pucks come off of the stick though.

If you have the dough, these are fantastic.

7 minutes ago, 1C5 said:

Sad day here with my 1S. Anything I can do to make this stick last a bit longer at this point? It hasn't cracked all the way through yet so it still has some strength...

image.jpg

Shitty deal... I have used my 1S for 4 skates now and I have no idea how I didn't make the switch sooner... ZERO vibration issues as well

On 12/11/2017 at 3:39 PM, IPv6Freely said:

EDIT: then again, I don't envy how much more you now spend on sticks! LOL

I have used composite sticks three seasons. I play maybe three times per week, almost around the year. I have one quite fresh stick which I use in games and last season game stick is my back up stick which I use in practises. So normally one stick last two seasons, all of my composite sticks have lasted over two years . Last time I used foam cores, I needed four sticks per season. Wood sticks come little soft and lost their performance quicker than composite. So actually I spend less on sticks.

But I think it´s great that there is still users for wooden and foam core sticks because composites are made in China.. I just found that composite performance better, last longer and are lighter.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

This is probably an easy find but I’m having brain freeze - can anyone point me to a comparison of paddle lengths between Bauer (current 1S sizing) and Warrior CR1? Is it straight (25” = 25”)?

Don't take my word as gospel, but the 26" CR1 was shorter than the 26" 1X. Hell, my Warrior swagger 25" is a tad larger than my CR1 25"

12 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Scott - Great stuff!!! Is the 1S core a foam?

Can you show use the shape you cut in them?

Any issues with durability?

Do you coat them with anything or just tape over?

The 1s is foam core, I’ve had no issues with durability, I’ve been using my reactor 6000 with the paddle cut like this for over a year and since the first game I haven’t had a moment where I wished I had the stock shoulder shape, if anything it has improved my game, I have more control on my stick for deflections and my blocker is in a more natural position that allows me a more natural and quicker reaction, I don’t coat them with anything, I just tape overtop, I highly recommend this to anyone. My 1s I bought from hockey stick man was advertised as a 27” but it is actually a stock 26” so I only cut off a little bit and shaped some pieces of wood and glued them in place to make that paddle shape. Best gear mod related decision I’ve ever made.

78581274-700C-47E3-B351-8D459693EEC2.jpeg

19 hours ago, Scott said:

The 1s is foam core, I’ve had no issues with durability, I’ve been using my reactor 6000 with the paddle cut like this for over a year and since the first game I haven’t had a moment where I wished I had the stock shoulder shape, if anything it has improved my game, I have more control on my stick for deflections and my blocker is in a more natural position that allows me a more natural and quicker reaction, I don’t coat them with anything, I just tape overtop, I highly recommend this to anyone. My 1s I bought from hockey stick man was advertised as a 27” but it is actually a stock 26” so I only cut off a little bit and shaped some pieces of wood and glued them in place to make that paddle shape. Best gear mod related decision I’ve ever made.

78581274-700C-47E3-B351-8D459693EEC2.jpeg

@TheGoalNet to add to what @Scott has done, since there is a core, this mod is not going to weaken anything. Most foam core sticks don’t have this much composite on them. Since Bauer is using pre-preg, frayed fibres are not a thing, and tape is all you need!

Good job, @Scott

Archived