Help me make a decision!! Custom Set or Senior?

motowngoalie

Hey guys,

So, I'm pulling the trigger on a set of G4's in the next month, but there's one issue. Now that the day is almost here, I'm struggling with my decision.

I play 1-2 days max, low level beer league. I've told myself for the last year if I hit some of my personal goals for this year (which I'm on track to do), I'll reward myself with my first custom set ever.

Now that this is going to happen, I'm starting to second guess myself and justify why I DON'T need it. Do I really need custom gear? I can use the money elsewhere. A set of Sr level stuff will work fine instead. It doesn't mean THAT much to me. Spending all that money while having a family is selfish. Etc. etc.

To her credit, my wife has been totally supportive, and told me to do whatever I want. Unfortunately for indecisive people like me, that doesn't help.

Can anyone offer help...?

9 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

A set of Sr level stuff will work fine instead.

Fine is the operative word.  The senior level stuff may be designed to handle exactly what your level of play is, but the pro level stuff is designed to handle even more, which means it won't wear down as quickly, and last you longer :)

* replacing the set early because of other things is Future-motowngoalie's problem :P

Sounds like a situation where if you get the pro level gear that you'll feel guilty and if you get the mid grade stuff that you'll regret not getting the pro.

Pro level gear is nice, there's nothing better than it when you're a goalie. But there's no shame in being practical in getting what's suitable for your level of play & budget.

Also I don't think asking strangers on a computer is a good idea, personally. People will want to sway you in the direction that they would go or how they WANT you go. And that's natural but other people shouldn't make your mind for you. Maybe do a pros and cons list and see what you come up with?

Save money and buy the g3 senior from canada, pref look for a used set, custom for ritual is just thighrise and colors which doesnt mean much.. 

if you are from the US, get it from canada and use a intl credit card with no fees, also if you contact the mgr u can get good deals on items custom set for

below mfg allowed price MAP which most online stores are the same.

Let just say I got my custom G4 full set pro (top line) for 1,500 us shipped and several other people had the same deal , (aprrox depends on exchange rate at time of)

The sr is the way to go, on the glove u can add d3O to it and make it a pro glove, the pads u can make internal or no break with some plastic ruler down the backside slot.  blocker is a blocker..

If you can afford it and hockey is your thing and your wife is supportive, go for it. 

Custom gear feels amazing to own.  There is just something about knowing the gear exists as is because you told them to make it, with your name on it.  It's the best feeling.  I think it makes hockey more fun and enjoyable if you are a gear geek (like we basically all are on here).

You'll never be able to not come up with reasoning that says "you could spend this money elsewhere" or "this is selfish" or "do I really need this?" or "I could get by with cheaper gear"....etc. 

That stuff is always somewhat relevant.  What is most relevant is money, your wife, and your desire for/use of the gear.  All those things say Yes, Do it.

I look at good hockey gear as an investment is mental, physical, and emotional health:  totally worth the price (and time it takes to get custom gear).

15 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Haha.

That's one major reason I go custom: I'm super picky about colors and stock gear bores the hell out of me.

Yeah, I used to be like that but now that I like to try everything out and nobody watches me play anyways I've been fine with stock colors since I'm usually on to something new in 8 months or so.

1 hour ago, ULTIMA said:

Also I don't think asking strangers on a computer is a good idea, personally. People will want to sway you in the direction that they would go or how they WANT you go. And that's natural but other people shouldn't make your mind for you. Maybe do a pros and cons list and see what you come up with?

I know, I wondered the same thing before posting. However I figured most on here would understand, as goalie gear in general seems mystifying to non-goalies and I wasn't getting much feedback from elsewhere. I will make a pros/cons list, thanks for your comment!

1 hour ago, Mroy31 said:

Fine is the operative word.  The senior level stuff may be designed to handle exactly what your level of play is, but the pro level stuff is designed to handle even more, which means it won't wear down as quickly, and last you longer :)

* replacing the set early because of other things is Future-motowngoalie's problem :P

Something I haven't considered, thank you! I probably won't buy another set for a long time, so this should be a factor in my decision.

1 hour ago, motowngoalie said:

Hey guys,

So, I'm pulling the trigger on a set of G4's in the next month, but there's one issue. Now that the day is almost here, I'm struggling with my decision.

I play 1-2 days max, low level beer league. I've told myself for the last year if I hit some of my personal goals for this year (which I'm on track to do), I'll reward myself with my first custom set ever.

Now that this is going to happen, I'm starting to second guess myself and justify why I DON'T need it. Do I really need custom gear? I can use the money elsewhere. A set of Sr level stuff will work fine instead. It doesn't mean THAT much to me. Spending all that money while having a family is selfish. Etc. etc.

To her credit, my wife has been totally supportive, and told me to do whatever I want. Unfortunately for indecisive people like me, that doesn't help.

Can anyone offer help...?

Will it be your "last set ever?" 

There will be very little drop off between the Senior Line and the Pro (the glove may be another story) but if you're gonna hang on it for awhile...

treat-yo-self.jpg.e038562e15474b71b292dba3818e415b.jpg

36 minutes ago, wox33 said:

If you don't need custom and can deal with stock colors Pure Goalie has G4 Pro for 30% off right now.

I saw your post in the Black Friday thread and checked it out, that's part of what's making my decision so hard :)G4 SR set for about $800, and all the black sets look pretty sick. 

38 minutes ago, seagoal said:

If you can afford it and hockey is your thing and your wife is supportive, go for it. 

Custom gear feels amazing to own.  There is just something about knowing the gear exists as is because you told them to make it, with your name on it.  It's the best feeling.  I think it makes hockey more fun and enjoyable if you are a gear geek (like we basically all are on here).

You'll never be able to not come up with reasoning that says "you could spend this money elsewhere" or "this is selfish" or "do I really need this?" or "I could get by with cheaper gear"....etc. 

That stuff is always somewhat relevant.  What is most relevant is money, your wife, and your desire for/use of the gear.  All those things say Yes, Do it.

I look at good hockey gear as an investment is mental, physical, and emotional health:  totally worth the price (and time it takes to get custom gear).

Thanks for your response, it's very helpful!

In the g4 its only the internals that are different the outer skin is the same. So same durability etc 

I've had mine a god few months now and play inline I'd actually say so far there holding up better than my Brian's did for this time. I play 1 to 2 times a week also.

Ive always had pro gear and was a little scared it would be Chinese crap, well guess what the Chinese can sew 😂

I'm super happy with snr. 

The gloves even more protective than my Brian's s3, 

I felt the same way when I bought my first custom set. I had dreamed about it for a long time, but once it was finally time to pull the trigger, I second guessed myself way too much. 

I ended up pulling the trigger and I am so glad I did. The gear is perfect for me, and since it's my first custom set, I take care of my gear much better than I did before. 

Plus it 'rejuvenated' my love for this position as a whole all over again. 

If you can afford it and have support from your wife, then go for it. Enjoy!

• SaveByRichter35 changed the title to Help me make a decision!! Custom Set or Senior?
11 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

I ended up pulling the trigger and I am so glad I did. The gear is perfect for me, and since it's my first custom set, I take care of my gear much better than I did before. 

Plus it 'rejuvenated' my love for this position as a whole all over again. 

This.

IMO, go with what you want. Senior stuff is made well, but a good pro catch can save your hand some nights. 

Plus, if stock fits (it doesnt me, so im always in custom leg pads) get stock and invest in a nice new, PROPER helmet. 

ALWAYS get the best for your head, chest and feet. 

Again, IMO. 

25 minutes ago, Chester said:

IMO, go with what you want. Senior stuff is made well, but a good pro catch can save your hand some nights. 

Plus, if stock fits (it doesnt me, so im always in custom leg pads) get stock and invest in a nice new, PROPER helmet. 

ALWAYS get the best for your head, chest and feet. 

Again, IMO. 

Are your pads a half size? 

Archived