2017-2018 NHL Gear Sitings

TheGoalNet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what were the prices like and what other gear did they have ?

15 hours ago, braedub90 said:

Went to the Canucks vs Blues game last night and snapped these pro returns at the Vancouver Canucks store. Miller(V7 XR), Garteig(V7 XF), Markstrom(1X), Demko(Optik), Bachman(Supreme)

15 hours ago, braedub90 said:

Went to the Canucks vs Blues game last night and snapped these pro returns at the Vancouver Canucks store. Miller(V7 XR), Garteig(V7 XF), Markstrom(1X), Demko(Optik), Bachman(Supreme)

Jeeeeeeez. Those Demko Optik demos... I wish I was taller.

On 11/19/2017 at 7:00 AM, TheGoalNet said:

@Ertl35 any indication why?

looks a P2 stick too in the practice photo 

Not sure. His EFlex 3 blocker was super beat up, but you'd think he would have extras/could get more. He used original EFlex 1 glove and pads for the first few weeks of the 14-15 season with his EFlex 2 set. I was as confused then as now about him using previous models of the same gear.

holtby 1415 eflex glove.jpg

holtby31_25.jpg

14 minutes ago, Datsyuk92 said:

I like the look of having dark on the inside and light on the outside, but I find it looks so weird when two dark colors touch without a break.

That was what I was going to say as well! I just haven't seen a good enough picture to really say... but I've found the same thing to be 'frustrating' with Nilsson's setup this year. I think it depends on the colors, and how light/dark they are. Nilsson's colors blend in too much. You could get away with it fine if you played in Philly with orange and black. Red and blue? Can't say for sure, but I think I'll end up agreeing with you that it needs some white to break it up.

As much as I want more colors in pads, I still think last year was a great look for Price. 

I actually really like his first set. I think him and Bob did a great job this year of using big colored areas with good separation.

But tbh, I would bet money on the fact he doesn't even care about how his gear looks. His CCM rep probably shows him a color combo and he goes "yeah, sure, whatever man just chill out..." lol

40 minutes ago, Datsyuk92 said:

I actually really like his first set. I think him and Bob did a great job this year of using big colored areas with good separation.

But tbh, I would bet money on the fact he doesn't even care about how his gear looks. His CCM rep probably shows him a color combo and he goes "yeah, sure, whatever man just chill out..." lol

Agreed. From what I've read/understand, most goalies don't have tons of interest in providing input on their graphics. I think a lot of them are given mockups of a bunch of different combinations that a designer makes for them, and then the goalie picks the one they like best.

Maybe once in a while, someone provides a motif ("something retro") or requests a specific look (home and away pads, like Smith, or Elliot completing his Cujo tribute with the all-blue pads). They might specify that they like a dark-based pad, or that they want a lot of color. But I really doubt they're studying colorways or weighing the value of contrasting colors with a thin white stripe.

And that's probably indicative of why they're pros, and we're a bunch of dweebs discussing gear design on an online forum. Not to sound elitist either, but it never hurts to remember that a ton of these guys didn't log a ton of education houyrs, or take art classes, or study design, etc. Most of them are jocks. They've dedicated their whole lives and the majority of their time towards becoming amazing athletes, and most probably don't have the time or inclination to dork out on the aesthetics of the latest stock graphic. Now, not taking college art classes or working a design job certainly doesn't mean they're not intelligent or that they lack taste -- that'd be a ludicrous statement. And I'm certainly not positing that one needs any of that stuff to be creative or possess an eye for design. But I think the majority of them are more concerned with their game and enjoying life, and I'd imagine their interest in designing pads doesn't extend much beyond "Yeah, that one looks cool".

Archived