2017-2018 NHL Gear Sitings

TheGoalNet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, braedub90 said:

$1195 per pair of pads. Apparently they have matching gloves at well, but I didn't see them. Blockers are 300 and catchers are 350

Not a bad price if the gear fits, I'd love that catching glove compared to a retail 1X.

5 hours ago, stackem30 said:

Agreed. From what I've read/understand, most goalies don't have tons of interest in providing input on their graphics. I think a lot of them are given mockups of a bunch of different combinations that a designer makes for them, and then the goalie picks the one they like best.

Maybe once in a while, someone provides a motif ("something retro") or requests a specific look (home and away pads, like Smith, or Elliot completing his Cujo tribute with the all-blue pads). They might specify that they like a dark-based pad, or that they want a lot of color. But I really doubt they're studying colorways or weighing the value of contrasting colors with a thin white stripe.

And that's probably indicative of why they're pros, and we're a bunch of dweebs discussing gear design on an online forum. Not to sound elitist either, but it never hurts to remember that a ton of these guys didn't log a ton of education houyrs, or take art classes, or study design, etc. Most of them are jocks. They've dedicated their whole lives and the majority of their time towards becoming amazing athletes, and most probably don't have the time or inclination to dork out on the aesthetics of the latest stock graphic. Now, not taking college art classes or working a design job certainly doesn't mean they're not intelligent or that they lack taste -- that'd be a ludicrous statement. And I'm certainly not positing that one needs any of that stuff to be creative or possess an eye for design. But I think the majority of them are more concerned with their game and enjoying life, and I'd imagine their interest in designing pads doesn't extend much beyond "Yeah, that one looks cool".

Well said. 

I think we always forget that we can be an anomaly even among beer leaguers. I know tons of goalies that are more than perfectly fine using the same old stuff and never want to change. Or that they really don't care about matching gear in the slightest and will use what they can find for cheap. 

Also at the same time, there are quite a few highly educated goalies in the show (i.e. Schneider) who don't really have the gear design bug like we do. :idk:

Was wondering what my old buddy Huet was wearing this year with Lausanne in the Swiss league. Same as last year - Velocity pads and blocker with Vision glove, Swagger stick and 961 mask. Other goalie is wearing what looks to be a Sportmask Mage and older CCM stuff. I guess they don't have access to hockey shops or maybe gear isn't in the budget as it is here?

HuetSwiss.jpg

14 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

Was wondering what my old buddy Huet was wearing this year with Lausanne in the Swiss league. Same as last year - Velocity pads and blocker with Vision glove, Swagger stick and 961 mask. Other goalie is wearing what looks to be a Sportmask Mage and older CCM stuff. I guess they don't have access to hockey shops or maybe gear isn't in the budget as it is here?

HuetSwiss.jpg

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f42

Archived