2017-2018 NHL Gear Sitings

TheGoalNet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

He's been playing lights out since he came back.

Wonder if he was bothered by that "lower body injury" earlier in the season.

Conspiracy theorist in me says that the "LBI" was really an excuse to get him off the ice/out of the limelight while his new white-based gear was in production

Edit

Does he still tape his ankles?  Thought he stopped doing that when he switched out of Graf

Look at how he was moving before being out and now. He was playing like a guy who was bothered physically. If you're not confident, yes you let in weak goals and don't react fast enough, don't anticipate plays as well as usual.... BUT... even with a low confidence problem, you still can do shuffles, butterfly slides and backside recoveries properly.

What I think is that Price had a minor injury but wanted to start the season since he just sign that big contract and also because he's been missing, every year, the beginning of the season due to injuries and/or viruses. Then things got bad, both mentally and physically.

On 11/30/2017 at 8:41 AM, chakal said:

He was playing like a guy who was bothered physically. If you're not confident, yes you let in weak goals and don't react fast enough, don't anticipate plays as well as usual.... 

Agreed. It's very easy to tell on a goalie that plays as smooth as Price if he's not 100% physically. He doesn't move as compact and as simple. I was saying for a while that the way he was moving looked like he was compensating for a knee, or something else in that area being really tight or sore.

Interesting re; Condon's mask - I though the NHL had outlawed single bar cat-eye cages after their mask reforms a couple of years back (when all the Lefevre guys got switched into CCM, Anderson got moved to Pros Choice etc) because around that time Luongo, Price and the other single bar guys moved to double bar cages??

16 hours ago, raucebyalien said:

Interesting re; Condon's mask - I though the NHL had outlawed single bar cat-eye cages after their mask reforms a couple of years back (when all the Lefevre guys got switched into CCM, Anderson got moved to Pros Choice etc) because around that time Luongo, Price and the other single bar guys moved to double bar cages??

At first I thought so too, but actually Anderson's Dillon mask had a double-bar cateye but when he switched to Pro's Choice, he moved to a single-bar. Also, all the guys who were/are still in Warwick masks (Ryan Miller) still have the single-bar, and Pekka Rinne is still in one on his 961XPM, though he switched to a bit thicker centre bar.

I'd guess that either the manufacturers decided to make this change for one reason or another, or maybe the NHL threatened to make it a rule so some manufacturers stopped offering them? Maybe someone else has more info because I'm curious about this too.

Just now, TheGoalNet said:

@TitanG @raucebyalien - I don't remember hearing anything about the double bar being an issue? I think CCM changed for marketing or production reasons. 

Wasn't the Dillion change because he quite or wouldn't let the NHL test his helmets anymore or something to that effect? 

Yeah, he didn't get it tested. I still find it interesting, but I guess most pros don't care, though I remember Martin Biron never left the 90's style 961 cateye with the slightly wider eye openings, so some guys do apparently care.

@chakal - Great info! 

I agree with you 100%, most NHL guys just trust their rep or the company. 

There's a bunch of CHL guys following the instagram account. With the information age and everyone on their phones 24-7, people are more educated and are able to see more things.

When the 30 somethings were growing up, the only way to know about mods was just the right picture on a hockey card or a guy at the local shop getting a good story from a rep. 

On 12/1/2017 at 12:03 PM, TheGoalNet said:

@chakal - Great info! 

There's a bunch of CHL guys following the instagram account. With the information age and everyone on their phones 24-7, people are more educated and are able to see more things.

When the 30 somethings were growing up, the only way to know about mods was just the right picture on a hockey card or a guy at the local shop getting a good story from a rep. 

Yup -- I remember trying to find out what mask Brodeur wore when I was a kid (this would be like, 1997-2002), and I could never find out! I remember a few guys who worked in hockey stores telling me it was a Heaton (no doubt they saw the sticker), but I knew that was wrong. I forgot all about it, and then when I was in high school and I had learned to use the internet just a little, I did a search and found out that it was a Protechsport in like, a minute. Probably on GSBB (pours whiskey on sidewalk).

I'm just turning 30, so I'm sure a lot of people here have some funnier stories about how difficult it was to find out about gear back in the day. But all I knew about gear came from older goalies at camps, looking at pictures in goalie books I collected, and the Don Simmons catalog. Goalies' World magazine was great, but they did a relatively small amount of gear coverage.

On 12/1/2017 at 12:03 PM, TheGoalNet said:

@chakal - Great info! 

You've gotta remember too, part of the post-lockout agreement was to give press and media more locker room access. 

There's more media people floating around in pro locker rooms these days than ever before.  Access shows like 24/7, PensTV, 24CH (and the other team-driven locker room style shows) get a lot more eyeballs on what's going on and going through an LR. 
PS. I really like these locker room style shows and found this; I'm sure there's more: https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/fans/24ch?e=1

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

You've gotta remember too, part of the post-lockout agreement was to give press and media more locker room access. 

There's more media people floating around in pro locker rooms these days than ever before.  Access shows like 24/7, PensTV, 24CH (and the other team-driven locker room style shows) get a lot more eyeballs on what's going on and going through an LR. 
PS. I really like these locker room style shows and found this; I'm sure there's more: https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/fans/24ch?e=1

I never heard that about the post-lockout agreement, though it sure aligns with what I've noticed on my own. Are there any articles or 'rules' you can point to? Not doubting you, I'd just like to read more about this.

Better late than never, but I always resented how poor the hockey coverage was growing up. The Devils were appearing in/winning championships and had a roster with several Hall of Famers (including a loquacious goalie who loved to do interviews, a rarity to say the least), and yet you could barely find any coverage of the team that wasn't game footage. Sometimes FSNY would show some practice footage or a super-rare look at something dry like the team's new weight room, but that was about it. NHL Cool Shots was great, but it was short lived and hard to find. It always frustrated me that there was so much good stuff going on, and so little interest in recording it and popularizing it. I guess some of that can be blamed on the NJ market, but still...

Just now, stackem30 said:

I never heard that about the post-lockout agreement, though it sure aligns with what I've noticed on my own. Are there any articles or 'rules' you can point to? Not doubting you, I'd just like to read more about this.

Better late than never, but I always resented how poor the hockey coverage was growing up. The Devils were appearing in/winning championships and had a roster with several Hall of Famers (including a loquacious goalie who loved to do interviews, a rarity to say the least), and yet you could barely find any coverage of the team that wasn't game footage. Sometimes FSNY would show some practice footage or a super-rare look at something dry like the team's new weight room, but that was about it. NHL Cool Shots was great, but it was short lived and hard to find. It always frustrated me that there was so much good stuff going on, and so little interest in recording it and popularizing it. I guess some of that can be blamed on the NJ market, but still...

Never read any specific "rule sheet" about it.  I just recall reading in an article that announced the lockout was over.  It was a summarization of agreements the PA made with the league.  Specifically, something about making players available to the media.

Coverage has gotten a lot better.

I used to stay up past my bedtime to catch anything Patrick Roy on NHL 2Nite on ESPN.  NHL Network is pretty sweet nowadays.

I remember my 13(circa1993) year old self asking the guy that ran the pro shop at my local rink.  What kind of mask does Roy wear? He said Lefevre. (I asked because he too was a Roy fan)I was like I don't see those in the catalogs.  He said yeah there hard to get.  Then many years later I found out about Protectsport.  

13 hours ago, Mike24 said:

I remember my 13(circa1993) year old self asking the guy that ran the pro shop at my local rink.  What kind of mask does Roy wear? He said Lefevre. (I asked because he too was a Roy fan)I was like I don't see those in the catalogs.  He said yeah there hard to get.  Then many years later I found out about Protectsport.  

Not sure to remember well, but I think Michel at Protechsport once told me that all Roy's masks were made by Michel Lefebvre himself. That usually Michel Lefebvre was making the mold for each pro client and then, Protechsport was making those guys the following masks for the rest of their career. But not for Roy, all by Lefebvre himself. Maybe someone can confirm that my memories are right.

Archived