TGN Spec x Pro Laces

On 5/29/2019 at 11:03 AM, dstew29 said:

Nice, I went all black on my set. Can you share pics of how you tied the skate lace piece to the toe block and bungee? Here's what I ended up doing on mine last night. I haven't tried on the ice yet but the set up felt really good last night when I tried it on in the house. The old bungees I had that came with my pads were really taught all the time so there was not a lot of give down in the butterfly. Excited to give these a spin soon.

66970688-A6C8-4073-B6BD-9791D8B9BAC8.jpeg

83FD2FF9-36B9-4637-B11E-C46803C50079.jpeg

081F821F-96C8-4562-8FF0-804CF8C58FB6.jpeg

764430BF-3DD9-43DC-A737-28D90CB40EAA.jpeg

Sorry for the delay. Here are pics showing how I do it. I love this TGN Spec design because it allows me to add the knots between the loop and my toe bridge. The slack (I use 1.5”) gives me exactly the feel I’m going for. Just a note - I know that I can just create slack by tying one knot and leaving 1.5” of lace, but what I like about the multiple knots is the durability. Less likely to get sliced by a skate blade.

FCDBA08A-1A6A-448F-9D48-808617CEC234.jpeg

3C167813-9341-40EE-838B-5F230E3216A0.jpeg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I installed mine tight. Most likely I won’t see the benefits of this great design from the standpoint of slack toe ties, but I like the superior design of the ProLaces opposed to the Monster-style long elastics. My stock ties were actually a Vaughn version of the Monsters, but same concept.

I frankly hated the screws on the ProLaces. I think I’ll dig these. I hope to do a stick/puck tomorrow with these.

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I installed mine tight. Most likely I won’t see the benefits of this great design from the standpoint of slack toe ties, but I like the superior design of the ProLaces opposed to the Monster-style long elastics. My stock ties were actually a Vaughn version of the Monsters, but same concept.

I frankly hated the screws on the ProLaces. I think I’ll dig these. I hope to do a stick/puck tomorrow with these.

I went somewhere in between @Punisher Goalie and you and the pad felt really nice on the boot, standing and in butterfly. Lacing the chord tight (flush) to the toe block seems to me like it would negate the "hybrid" effect, no? Someone care to enlighten me on this? No right or wrong way but I'm just curious...

1 hour ago, dstew29 said:

I went somewhere in between @Punisher Goalie and you and the pad felt really nice on the boot, standing and in butterfly. Lacing the chord tight (flush) to the toe block seems to me like it would negate the "hybrid" effect, no? Someone care to enlighten me on this? No right or wrong way but I'm just curious...

I literally went with hybrids because I like this system better but HATED the OG set up!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 5:17 PM, Punisher Goalie said:

Yeah, I think that’s what makes this the best version of ProLaces out there. It lets you chose tighter, looser, or experiment until you find the length you prefer. Kudos to @TheGoalNet for the design. 

Tried my set for the first time on Monday and noticed a huge difference. The prolaces that I inherited were full bungee and in hindsight, way too tight of a setup. This hybrid version has just enough play at the toe bridge that everything feels more fluid in my stance, butterfly, etc. Better pushes, better seal, my pads actually don't catch as much at the thigh rise either which was a big plus for me.

Awesome design and huge upgrade for the $!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2019 at 2:46 PM, TheGoalNet said:

The Pooper's qualify. And I just got a few DMs about the Pro Laces being back ordered already. Disappointed to hear that, but it's kinda cool at the same time. Michel is the man and will get everyone taken care of.

I am new to the forum. How do I get a hold of Michel. I have a few questions about the colors to see what they actually look like.

6 minutes ago, Snowman30 said:

Any other options? I tried both in the last couple of weeks because I can not order with out logging into my account. It won't let send me the link to reset my password that I forgot. 

I have no idea - I've never communicated with him - I've only ordered stuff off of the website and that's it.

Maybe try the ProLaces Facebook page? I don't know if he is responsive over Facebook Messenger.

Or make a new account using a burner e-mail address?

• 1 month later...

Just ordered my set which will be a huge upgrade from my previous set of bungees that failed and ripped my pad open.

Adding another testimonial to Michel's excellence, I placed my custom order with navy tabs, blue cord, and some initials. 

Michel instantaneously contacted me and said he had a TGN set made and in-stock with no letters, navy tabs, and a white cord.  He asked if I minded the different color cord and said if I didn't , he could add my letters to the tabs and ship them to me this coming Monday, which is 4 days away.  I accepted.

Super impressed with his responsiveness, as has been said on this site many, many times.

3 hours ago, seagoal said:

Just ordered my set which will be a huge upgrade from my previous set of bungees that failed and ripped my pad open.

Adding another testimonial to Michel's excellence, I placed my custom order with navy tabs, blue cord, and some initials. 

Michel instantaneously contacted me and said he had a TGN set made and in-stock with no letters, navy tabs, and a white cord.  He asked if I minded the different color cord and said if I didn't , he could add my letters to the tabs and ship them to me this coming Monday, which is 4 days away.  I accepted.

Super impressed with his responsiveness, as has been said on this site many, many times.

Good choice, my man!

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So for people that have used the original Pro Laces then switched over to these, can you share your experience?

Are you happy with the current product? If so, probably not much of a need to upgrade. The biggest benefit would be the protective guarding over the elastic.

If you don't quite like how the original installs or want some customization around the toe slack, that would be the main reason to upgrade.

For me personally, I always felt like the leather toe bridge added some slack and I wanted to control the slack. That's why I changed. I do mine with no slack now and it feels more integrated.

The only thing I would improve on the TGN spec ProLaces is for there to be a 90-degree shift between the part that attaches to your skate and the part that you put the laces through to attach it to the pad.

image.png.e014db203b8e33c3d3305ee576528dad.png

The laces that attach to the pad are horizontal, and therefore the loop they are put through on the ProLaces is vertical. This causes there to be a twist in the section just below the black piece in the photo above. It would be nice if they were sewn in such a way that the skate attachment portion was automatically back to horizontal, instead of it needing to twist itself to get there. A minor issue, for sure, but one that I've noticed aesthetically when putting them on.

57 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Are you happy with the current product? If so, probably not much of a need to upgrade. The biggest benefit would be the protective guarding over the elastic.

If you don't quite like how the original installs or want some customization around the toe slack, that would be the main reason to upgrade.

For me personally, I always felt like the leather toe bridge added some slack and I wanted to control the slack. That's why I changed. I do mine with no slack now and it feels more integrated.

Yea, very happy. I was actually pretty happy with ARS straps from Warrior and those are noticeably more taught than Pro Laces. Pro Laces felt "sloppy" for the first few skates in them.

Thanks for the insight.

2 hours ago, Teezle said:

The only thing I would improve on the TGN spec ProLaces is for there to be a 90-degree shift between the part that attaches to your skate and the part that you put the laces through to attach it to the pad.

image.png.e014db203b8e33c3d3305ee576528dad.png

The laces that attach to the pad are horizontal, and therefore the loop they are put through on the ProLaces is vertical. This causes there to be a twist in the section just below the black piece in the photo above. It would be nice if they were sewn in such a way that the skate attachment portion was automatically back to horizontal, instead of it needing to twist itself to get there. A minor issue, for sure, but one that I've noticed aesthetically when putting them on.

See my post on 1st page. I haven’t had any issues with this setup. I melted the knot a bit so the knot doesn’t pull through or fray. Very happy w the performance so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived