What Knee Pads Do You Wear?

TheGoalNet

I haven't used the S18 version, but I have used the 1S and previous version for probably the longest amount of time in my seemingly neverending quest for the perfect knee pads.  I've had no problems with stingers in either of those versions.  

I think the top strap could be a bit longer, but the anchor strap is pretty great for keeping your knee in the right spot.

One thing I've always needed is extra padding in the knee, either a volleyball knee pad or currently some maltese inserts.  So I don't have any experience with the knee cup materials in any versions.

Overall they are a really good low-profile option.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many shots you take off the knees? May want to look at longer pants.

I use the Bauer Vapor knee pads. I tape the bottom strap with clear tape. I don't think they'll move on their own; but I like to tape up anyway. For $40 a pair - the price is right.

I'm 250 pounds and play a few times a week. They have enough padding for the landings. No knee pain next day or anything. Considering I'm 41; that's a feat.

Thanks for sharing @MTH  I rarely take shots off the knee but this one last week squeezed through and hit in a spot that I thought would be fine with the Warriors but did not have as much protection as I had hoped.  If it had been a slap shot I'd still be limping today.  Thanks for the tip on your Bauer Vapor's.  I think I need to try some of these on in-store before buying.   

I'm currently wearing GForm knee pads under my Warrior Ritual G2 Sr. Knee pads with my Warrior G2 Sr. pads.  Used to wear the Bauers similar to the above but had to add my own knee padding which they used to lack.  The only reason I switched was because the Bauers kept catching on the Warrior pads when I first got them.  Tried the Warrior's and the problem was solved so I never went back.  1 good stinger and I got the GForms and I've had one stinger since then.  This is over the past 2.5 years.  I'm using 10 year old Vaughn pants that are slit up the back sides of the legs to allow more knee freedom.  They're clipped 2x to my chesty to keep them up.  Get in the butterfly and see how it's all interacting together.  If your pants are being pushed up by your pads, try to make an adjustment to your pads or pants.  I also wear a Shock Doctor Catcher's short which has inside thigh protection.  That's where my first cup is.  2nd Vaughn cup over that.

So I have the Reebok version with these and was curious if these are only ment to be worn with an open one cradle/velcro strap down the the calf like price does. I like wearing the velcro strap directly behind the knee. I've see some other people do it directly behind the knee with these knee pads. If it matters, I currently have ccm eflex pads. 

Screenshot_20181013-014623.png

On 10/9/2018 at 12:40 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

@Adam Cooper Did you give the Brians knee pads a shot?

So I gave the Brian's knee pads that came with my Optik's a shot last night.  Here is the good, bad and ugly.

The Good:

- I liked that they were not bulky.

- While standing and moving while standing I felt like I had more mobility.

The Bad:

- Even when using tape over my socks they still had way too much movement up and down.

- I think the design is flawed with only two straps.

- They did not feel very protective on the sides of the knee or front of the knee.

The Ugly:

- As I dropped into butterfly they never really sat well and I constantly found them shifting either up or down.

- It got to a point where I was hesitating slamming my knees down at full speed because I was not comfortable with how they were landing.

The verdict:

I don't like lacing my knee pads into my pants which I'm sure could help but I feel that limits my movement.  The padding on these is not high end and I would never wear these in a higher end game.  The constant movement and shifting turned me off.  I would not even feel comfortable trying to resell these to someone else.  So these will go in a pile and I'll just wear them when I play mini sticks with my daughter.

33 minutes ago, Adam Cooper said:

So I gave the Brian's knee pads that came with my Optik's a shot last night.  Here is the good, bad and ugly.

The Good:

- I liked that they were not bulky.

- While standing and moving while standing I felt like I had more mobility.

The Bad:

- Even when using tape over my socks they still had way too much movement up and down.

- I think the design is flawed with only two straps.

- They did not feel very protective on the sides of the knee or front of the knee.

The Ugly:

- As I dropped into butterfly they never really sat well and I constantly found them shifting either up or down.

- It got to a point where I was hesitating slamming my knees down at full speed because I was not comfortable with how they were landing.

The verdict:

I don't like lacing my knee pads into my pants which I'm sure could help but I feel that limits my movement.  The padding on these is not high end and I would never wear these in a higher end game.  The constant movement and shifting turned me off.  I would not even feel comfortable trying to resell these to someone else.  So these will go in a pile and I'll just wear them when I play mini sticks with my daughter.

I wear my Brian's knee pads  under my socks. Icut a slit in my socks so I can attach the velcro tab to the thigh of my Optiks, and I tape it top and bottom. Works fine for me, no riding up.

So I had a game tonight and I got a slight injury on the outside of my right knee. Shooter tried to bank a wrister off my pad to squeeze one in between myself and the post. It was close but no trophy, unfortunately he missed the pad and got my knee, side wall right at the joint level off the tendon and muscle (pic 1, lower portion of the circle indication on the side).

The knee pads I wear are from ReasonY which the model isn't produced anymore. They set-up pretty much like the CCM model (pic 2). As you can see, the part that wraps around and below the knee cap is thin with little protection on the outer side when in your stance. 

Although I was contemplating the CCM knee pads, mine have made me change my mind. Aside from adding more padding to mine, I'm now strongly considering my 2 other choices that will cover that weak spot and offer better protection (pic 3 Brown) (pic 4 Bauer). Of course, if I could afford it or find some inexpensive great conditioned Factory MAD ones, that be awesome.

And to make a link between this thread and the new discussion in regards to the anticipated Warrior GT2 pads and the expressed opinions of removing the outside calf panel...I think I know now why Pete came up with the idea ;) 

So in short, consider the sides of your knees when searching for knee pads as the puck doesn't always just come at you from the front. As for me, It's sore and swollen, it will undoubtedly be stiff, tender and maybe blue tomorrow but I'll be fine. At least it wasn't a wind up or one timer @_@  !!!

knee-inner-side-view.pngkpproccm_ccm_2017_goal_knee_guard_kpproccm_2aa60cd2-9606-4f4e-a881-57abb52998f4_1024x1024.jpg?v=1495813457side.jpgbauer-goalie-supreme-knee-guards-jr.jpgimage008_large.jpg?v=1487993026

Okay, I feel like a fool. I found the Velcro tab on the Brian’s knee pads. It was tucked in the front and I thought it was  part of the elastic to keep the structure of the pad.  I’m going to give them another shot. I’m just not used to wearing my knee pads over my socks but this tab connection seems like a good option over tape. 

870BF4FC-DB15-42FD-967B-E2B14E0494C1.jpeg

AB6513FD-6E4C-4D8A-B42E-AC6CCA8B55FC.jpeg

D24D4C71-C341-4601-92DE-506B97557300.jpeg

843F814C-A60B-4DEA-9796-A7386E9A8DBA.jpeg

56 minutes ago, RichMan said:

So I had a game tonight and I got a slight injury on the outside of my right knee. Shooter tried to bank a wrister off my pad to squeeze one in between myself and the post. It was close but no trophy, unfortunately he missed the pad and got my knee, side wall right at the joint level off the tendon and muscle (pic 1, lower portion of the circle indication on the side).

The knee pads I wear are from ReasonY which the model isn't produced anymore. They set-up pretty much like the CCM model (pic 2). As you can see, the part that wraps around and below the knee cap is thin with little protection on the outer side when in your stance. 

Although I was contemplating the CCM knee pads, mine have made me change my mind. Aside from adding more padding to mine, I'm now strongly considering my 2 other choices that will cover that weak spot and offer better protection (pic 3 Brown) (pic 4 Bauer). Of course, if I could afford it or find some inexpensive great conditioned Factory MAD ones, that be awesome.

And to make a link between this thread and the new discussion in regards to the anticipated Warrior GT2 pads and the expressed opinions of removing the outside calf panel...I think I know now why Pete came up with the idea ;)

So in short, consider the sides of your knees when searching for knee pads as the puck doesn't always just come at you from the front. As for me, It's sore and swollen, it will undoubtedly be stiff, tender and maybe blue tomorrow but I'll be fine. At least it wasn't a wind up or one timer @_@  !!!

knee-inner-side-view.pngkpproccm_ccm_2017_goal_knee_guard_kpproccm_2aa60cd2-9606-4f4e-a881-57abb52998f4_1024x1024.jpg?v=1495813457side.jpgbauer-goalie-supreme-knee-guards-jr.jpgimage008_large.jpg?v=1487993026

Have you considered the Maltese KTPs? I saw some for a decent price in one of the Facebook gear groups. I have a set and have yet to use them in game, but so far trying them on for some carpet flies they stay in place and I forget I'm wearing them. They also seem to have few gaps, so maybe consider that option if you can find a used set within your budget.

The main pieces are 1/2" thick while the circles are 13/16" thick, so they should offer good protection to the area you mentioned.

IMG_5351.thumb.jpg.496ca459e5ef1d09a4c07

13 hours ago, TitanG said:

Have you considered the Maltese KTPs? I saw some for a decent price in one of the Facebook gear groups. I have a set and have yet to use them in game, but so far trying them on for some carpet flies they stay in place and I forget I'm wearing them. They also seem to have few gaps, so maybe consider that option if you can find a used set within your budget.

The main pieces are 1/2" thick while the circles are 13/16" thick, so they should offer good protection to the area you mentioned.

Not too intersted in those. I trust them as a collar, have mine for about 10 years now, not excited about the knees though.

On 10/14/2018 at 3:45 PM, RichMan said:

So after some more reflecting on the subject, I believe these would be a better answer to my incident/injury. The lower part should give me more coverage past the knee joint.

I've got a pair big fan, although I do have to use skate lace and tie them into my c/a to keep them from sliding down

8 minutes ago, Adam Cooper said:

I’ve got the senior ones and they are comfortable. I wear my socks over them and tape them up and they never fall down. If I were you I’d upgrade to the pro version as the upper part on these pads is soft and I’ve taken a couple stingers above the knee area. 

I take the suckers down and they still movr a bit. Nothing that jeopardizes coverage, just a looser feeling. 

Protection is ok. I've taken three shots off of them in 1.5 years and each one you can "feel". Nothing hurts, you're just very aware of it. 

Not a big deal for me as I use knee pads as a just in case item. I have a decent flare and am not genrrally worried about pucks hitting my knee. It's just there to cover the random tips and scrambles. 

Still more of a fan of thigh wraps as they're easier and simpler, but the knee pads aren't something I concern my self about too much 

Though they are on the 2nd year of the life cycle, I'll likely be tracking down the Bauer Vapor 1X Od1n knee guards for purchase and use. Though the Warrior Ritual X Pro knee guards came with my ordered G4 leg pads and are probably okay,  the 1X has had good reviews and only makes sense since I am moving into the Vapor gear.

On 10/13/2018 at 11:26 PM, RichMan said:

knee-inner-side-view.pngkpproccm_ccm_2017_goal_knee_guard_kpproccm_2aa60cd2-9606-4f4e-a881-57abb52998f4_1024x1024.jpg?v=1495813457

So it's interesting you say that because it's about the only situation I can think of where that outer knee is exposed to a direct hit from a puck. I have the old RBK version of the CCMs you have above. When the "knee landing zone" was rendered completely useless I went out and bought a set of Passau knee guards. I couldn't get them to fit properly and they were just bulky, but I did like the actual padding and they were hook and loop. So I took the padding from the Passau and popped it into the RBK unit. Still leaves my outer knee exposed, but provided inner knee protection and the desperately needed general padding. 

My only concern to adding outer knee protection is the additional bulk... but that probably hurts less than a puck to the knee from a shooter who has been given too much time. I've heard good things about the 1X knee guards... from my understanding the 1S guards and the less than liberal use of poron makes them a little rough on the knees depending on the softness of your leg pad's knee landing.

13 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

Though they are on the 2nd year of the life cycle, I'll likely be tracking down the Bauer Vapor 1X Od1n knee guards for purchase and use. Though the Warrior Ritual X Pro knee guards came with my ordered G4 leg pads and are probably okay,  the 1X has had good reviews and only makes sense since I am moving into the Vapor gear.

Would those Ritual X Pro knee guards be available for cheap? :D 

Luckily for me Varsity bronze shots are not too hard on the knees. I use Reebok Premier XLT thigh wraps that are tied into my Vaughn Ventus LT88 leg pads. On top of that (or rather underneath) I wear Bauer Elite knee guards. These pads use the awesome Poron foam and I feel nothing through them. When I do receive a shot to the knee I will occasionally get a semi-numb feeling in my knee but it goes away before it causes too much trouble. I rarely receive shots to the knee due in part to my leg pads being a tad big for me and my "set" stance puts my skates at the limit of their angle without slipping out from under me. Unfortunately this causes quite a bit of pad overlap when standing but it's never affected my drop down speed. 

The Warrior knee pads look interesting and I've heard good things about them. I have not had any experience with them but I would be interested to try some. In comparison to the Bauer Elite pads this would (in theory) make me taller in butterfly as well as more knee protection.

Thank you,

T

On 10/14/2018 at 12:30 AM, TitanG said:

Ive got a pair of these needing a new home. Doesnt fit over the DonJoy knee brace. 

Archived