What Knee Pads Do You Wear?

TheGoalNet

On 12/18/2017 at 6:11 AM, raucebyalien said:

Looking forward to hearing the full review of the 1X - currently in Passau but used to love the feel & low profile of the old Reactor model. Unfortunately due to a narrow butterfly I tend to to take hard shots straight to the knee and the Reactors are no way robust enough to take direct bombs (example - got taken out of a game on a direct shot wearing the Reactors and then giving them a 'second chance' got nailed with a hard wrister in training that was painful enough to think i was going to puke xD )

Didn't get along with the Gnetik knees that came with my pads and the nylon ended up splitting on the knee cup, so I modded the Reactors to have the Gnetik shield over the top.

IMG_1325.JPG

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, raucebyalien said:

Looking forward to hearing the full review of the 1X - currently in Passau but used to love the feel & low profile of the old Reactor model. Unfortunately due to a narrow butterfly I tend to to take hard shots straight to the knee and the Reactors are no way robust enough to take direct bombs (example - got taken out of a game on a direct shot wearing the Reactors and then giving them a 'second chance' got nailed with a hard wrister in training that was painful enough to think i was going to puke xD )

Didn't get along with the Gnetik knees that came with my pads and the nylon ended up splitting on the knee cup, so I modded the Reactors to have the Gnetik shield over the top.

IMG_1325.JPG

Pretty good looking design right there! 

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Pretty good looking design right there! 

They looked better than they worked in practice unfortunately! The shell of the Gnetik knees tended to ride up leaving the knee cap area of the Reactors (the most vulnerable part) exposed, and they were also a bit too bulky width ways which interfered with rotation.

Even though I have no real issue with my current Passaus, as the 1X appear to be improved versions of the Reactors with a specifically designed shell I'm interested to hear how they're working out for people. 

My (new to me) Koho 589 knee guards arrived this week! 

I was able to use them for the first time on the weekend. Man, these things are extremely bulky, but they felt pretty good.  The left guard felt awesome, but the right knee guard did slip down a little which was annoying (not sure if it has happened with anyone else?). Though I do have very skinny legs which may have contributed to it since these were noticeably heavier than my previous knee guards. 

I will be trying sock tape below on the bottom strap next game to see if this helps. Any other advice to keep my knee guard up would be appreciated. 

My koho 589 knee guards.png

3 hours ago, creasecollector said:

Update: I used a little bit of clear sock tape tonight  (just below the knee & above the thigh for good measure) and these Koho's stayed up perfectly. Once I get used to the bulkiness a bit more I'll be fine. 

I used to have these when I was actively using the jiggy fly. Took a cannon of a clapper a few years back right in the knee. didn't feel squat. Plus the rebounds die after hitting it. 

Right now I use the Warrior Ritual X pro. It reminds me of a slimmer and more mobile version of these. Love them a lot!

For the folks looking to get the low profile, "no knee pad" feel, we (Maltese Sports) have finalized and are now stocking our updated knee pad.
We have upgraded the unit from previous iterations with a dual layer of gel in the front and an updated, wider and thicker landing surface.
These are in stock and ready for immediate delivery.

I am working on building a list of US customers who want to demo the unit.  If you are interested, please reach out to me via PM so we can get the process started!

image.png.55723bcc06efae3404c5347c9bb01584.png

On 29/11/2017 at 6:36 AM, stackem30 said:

I'm going to be in the market soon. My current setup is not great -- I wear very old/cheap Bauer knee pads that are small, fairly thin, and need to be taped to stay on at this point. I also wear the thigh guards that came on my Koho 580's. Neither are very protective, so I've been wearing them in combination for many years. It was actually a good setup for a while, but the elastic on the thigh guards is so shot that they're starting to sag and move. Since my new Keneskys are just around the corner, it's time for me to reconfigure my knee setup.

Knee protection is very important to me -- I've skimped on pants and C/A's in the past, and never minded a few stingers and bruises. But knees freak me out, and even the idea of having "just" knee guards (and not thigh guards on top of that) makes me a little apprehensive. I'm going to wait until my new pads come in and see what kind of coverage I need between them and my pants. I am interested in the Brians Pro and CCM Pro knee guards, but I'll have to see.

Warrior Ritual X pro are VERY good. And it's got some heavy duty foam in the landing area which cushions a lot of the dropping.

On 12/25/2017 at 12:45 AM, creasecollector said:

I was able to use them for the first time on the weekend. Man, these things are extremely bulky, but they felt pretty good.  The left guard felt awesome, but the right knee guard did slip down a little which was annoying (not sure if it has happened with anyone else?). Though I do have very skinny legs which may have contributed to it since these were noticeably heavier than my previous knee guards. 

I will be trying sock tape below on the bottom strap next game to see if this helps. Any other advice to keep my knee guard up would be appreciated. 

Quit skipping leg day at the gym.

Just kidding of course... I use sock tape below the knee as well on my modded Reebok/Passau set. Does the trick just fine.

1 hour ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Thanks to @Chenner29 these came in today!

7BB9042F-364F-4572-9DF7-07E766F5D7CE.thumb.jpeg.f61b85a457ae5a60b953ed56f7433190.jpeg

Kinda cool that they can lay flat. Should have a chance to get on ice with them this weekend. Landing area of my knees have been killing me lately so I’m hoping for a good change!

Interesting... anxious to hear how their strapping holds in place and overall first impressions.

2 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Thanks to @Chenner29 these came in today!

Kinda cool that they can lay flat. Should have a chance to get on ice with them this weekend. Landing area of my knees have been killing me lately so I’m hoping for a good change!

Wow that was fast - I put the order in for you yesterday morning and was just about to PM you tracking.

I recommend wearing them inside your compression pants against the skin.  Having a layer between you and the knee pad will cause it to twist and possibly slide down a bit.

32 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Wow that was fast - I put the order in for you yesterday morning and was just about to PM you tracking.

I recommend wearing them inside your compression pants against the skin.  Having a layer between you and the knee pad will cause it to twist and possibly slide down a bit.

Haha yep, UPS ground from NJ/NY/New England often arrives overnight to DC.

On ‎25‎. ‎12‎. ‎2017 at 6:45 AM, creasecollector said:

My koho 589 knee guards.png

I used skate lace, put in existing holes on top of the pads (same as slings for carbon plate) and make loop. Then use garter belt with the "clips". Works good, no tape needed. btw. the existing lowest strap inside pads is too small for me, so I don´t use it, no problems with pads slipping.

1 hour ago, mik said:

I used skate lace, put in existing holes on top of the pads (same as slings for carbon plate) and make loop. Then use garter belt with the "clips". Works good, no tape needed. btw. the existing lowest strap inside pads is too small for me, so I don´t use it, no problems with pads slipping.

Good recommendation; I've done this in the past with the Reebok style knee pads (the old gray ones from the original Premier line).  It works very well.

• 2 weeks later...

So I came upon a YouTube video a few minutes ago where the guy explains that in measuring your A2K, it's best to do so wearing your knee pads. I've always taken the bare knee approach myself to verify my A2K/F2K. I kinda understand how it could slightly differ with knee pads on, but does it really show that much as you land on the knee block of your pads?

Thinking about it more, I can recall the times I've worn my Smith pads to coach without my knee pads on and I did kind of landed on the lower part of my knee block in my b-fly.

Any thoughts?

@RichMan - It does look like subtle tweaks to an existing model. 

• Elastic strap on top model comes further across - More secure strapping 
  • Knee cap in stop model is sewn into the air mesh - More long term durability 
  • Top model has a segmented foam piece in the front - More flexibility to wrap around knee  
  • Knee cap in top model is clearly injection molded. Bottom version has a carbon effect on it. I am not sure if the bottom is real carbon fiber or just an aesthetic wrap? Plastic would be lighter. Carbon fiber would be stronger. 

This seems like classic Lefebvre to me, just some subtle tweaks to a popular product 

I did notice the subtle difference in the knee cap, just forgot to mention. Seems like the bottom model has it more squared off at the bottom, kinda like Scrivens personal mod on his kohos. That would make landings less painful on the meniscus area I'm guessing.

On 11/30/2017 at 5:29 PM, goalie said:

I tried the vapor found the cap got in the way - I cut it off, but you lose a lot of protection doing that.

Also vote for Brown. I have a pile of knee pads and always go back to Brown. Can't remember the price but it is same range as the other pro pads. Good thing with Brown if you want something custom he will make the change.

So sorry! Just getting back on the board after the holidays. They were roughly 125 Canadian

Archived