Profiling your blades

On 11/7/2019 at 4:23 AM, DL42 said:

complete NO, NO and NO. 

totally diff.  just because it has a flat spot doesnt mean they are same.

SAM is a templete that prosharp sell to the store and the store push to the customers to get extra revenue to profile.

a real shop would be able to change the front /back or middle profile of the blade. it funny how they would recommend SAM to any goalie regardless of skill, weight or height.

CAG is just a flat spot across the blade, more of a name but most people use the term like Kleenex for tissue or xerox for copies.

if u want to be like QUICK then u want CAG on skate not SAM. Quick is running a 60/120 CAG

Let me rephrase: the aspect of CAG that differs from traditional profiling is the flat spot in the middle portion of the steel. The goalie SAM profile by ProSharp also has this flat spot.

Admittedly, yes, the ProSharp template is newer and you have to create your own setup for a more custom version of said template. Eg, the current stock setup is equivalent to 25/50 in a CAG. Where the two differ are how you profile the heel and toe. But again, both have some degree of flatness in the middle portion of the steel, which is the only thing that separates them from other traditional forms of profiling.

A skilled operator would be able to mimic CAG with his ProSharp machine, from what my research tells me. 

As far as being a "real shop", you've basically made a blanket statement against any and every shop using ProSharp. When you consider the fact that at least 14 NHL Teams and another 14 highly respected college programs are using their profiling templates, that comes off as pretty ignorant, imho. 

P.S. - I'm not a rep for either of these, just trying to clear up the confusion for other readers. 

On 11/6/2019 at 8:36 PM, pgeorgan said:

Going to be getting a standard SAM profile in a couple days (whatever the default is, 10-55-27/28?), as soon as my new steel arrives. I haven't found a lot of feedback on this online, so we will see. 

Currently at a 28' with 1mm forward pitch on Bauer 1s', 7/16" ROH. I like to plant my feet and stay very still until I need to explode left or right, maybe a bit like a Quick or Mrazek, hence I like the extra bite from deeper edges. 

I also play out on Vapor 1x 2.0's. with a Quad XS ("0", I think, in most circles) with 0.5mm forward pitch, 1/2" ROH.

As I'm proficient on both player and goalie skates, hopefully I can provide some good feedback to others that might be looking to do the same. 

Played a bit of college and still play against ex-college guys, so hopefully I can give a more technical review. If nothing else changes (though I have a feeling it will, for the better), at a minimum I expect to be able to drop a 1/16 flatter in ROH, as I did when I switched to a Quad profile on my player skates. 

Finally got my steel back: ProSharp Goalie SAM 10'-50mm-27', 1/2" ROH. I'm coming from a standard 28' profile. 

All I have to say is... wow. 

I went to do a sanity test before I have to play in a few days, so went to some open ice and threw on my goalie skates, grabbed player gloves and player stick and honestly felt like I could've played forward on those things but with insane stability. Additionally, now on a 1/2" giving me the same bite as my previous 7/16" when it was just a 28' profile. 

On 10/10/2019 at 9:47 AM, Puckstopper said:

I just received two sets of LS5G steel back from noicing sports.  I had previously used their 24'-30' dual combo radius and loved the increase in agility I felt when moving behind the net to stop dump-in's etc so I had one set done with that combo.   For the other set I selected a triple radius (15/20/28)  to see if I could feel the difference.    Tonight will be my first game in my new True/Vertexx combo, so I'll report back after on how the triple felt.

So after a few games on each I can safely say I won't be going back to the 24/20 dual radius.  It's leaps and bounds better than a single, but the 15/20/28 is a game changer for me!  I do lose a little bit of ability to grab an edge and push cross crease but I'm so much more agile when skating that being forced to be a little bit more mindful of my technique on cross crease pushes is a tradeoff that's well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 6:35 PM, Puckstopper said:

So after a few games on each I can safely say I won't be going back to the 24/20 dual radius.  It's leaps and bounds better than a single, but the 15/20/28 is a game changer for me!  I do lose a little bit of ability to grab an edge and push cross crease but I'm so much more agile when skating that being forced to be a little bit more mindful of my technique on cross crease pushes is a tradeoff that's well worth it.

I want to try 24/20 but my LHS doesn't have that template. Told them to get it and I'd be their first customer. 

• 1 month later...

I think the premise of one profile being better than another is like saying a size 8 is better than a size 11.... it's what profile fits your game ... so Quick uses a Cag 60/120 doubt anyone here is J Quick or even close (I know personally I have my name "0" times on the cup) I think the best advice is to use older blades and try a few different profiles before you buy new (then you can have your new blades profiled to your liking)...just my thought

• 7 months later...
On 10/9/2019 at 7:07 PM, bunnyman666 said:

@TheGoalNet asked me to start a dedicated thread on this subject, so here goes...

I am giving a general primmer here. No suggestions are given as blade profiles can be very specific to the individual. 

Most goalie blades come out of the factory with a 30’ radius, which is pretty flat. Player blades come out with a 10’ or 12’, which is a lot rounder. 

One can get a profile that rounds the toe  for a faster feel on the ice, for example. One can profile to pitch the heel of the skate forward. One can spec multiple profiles on the same blade. Having the heel and toe radius changed to suit you can immensely help your performance. This is a procedure NOT reserved for fleet footed Connor McDavid, any longer.

On Step and Tydan steel, there is a centre mark in order to profile the runner from the centreline. This helps not only to find the centre of the blade and skate, but helps to find the centre of  the blade so the skate can be profiled out of the cowling or holder. 

A profile should be done with the first time a pair of skates is sharpened, for certain. If you like the stock profile, this step will essentially make certain both blades are uniform, as manufacturing can make the profiles of each blade vary.  Depending on how your skates are sharpened, this should be refreshed every ten sharpenings. Some will say more, others will say less. The point is that the profile will migrate over time depending on how they are sharpened. Have you ever noticed that a skate sharpener who does it by hand can run twenty passes on one skate and fifteen on the other? A skate machine tends to retain the profile better. Some times the toes and heels get over-rounded over time when sharpened by hand, essentially shortening the flat blade length.  One can get an older pair of runners profiled; sometimes that is a fantastic idea, especially if you find your skates feel totally different than when you first had them.

With the advent of goalie skate runners using one length for four half sizes of skates, having your skates profiled to fit you is more important. 

I recommend having your skates profiled by a sharpener who uses a ProSharp machine. Yes- this can be done by hand, but the ProSharp is computer controlled. Yes- the old way by hand works very well IF the person profiling has ample experience profiling blades. ProSharp has several templates for goalie profiles.

Anyone use a profile that made a night and day difference compared to before you had it done?

Bunny,

seems that you know a good amount skate sharpening. I just got some new steel (step) and need to get it sharpened. I’m trying to determine if I need to get them cross ground and profiled. From my  understanding Step already come profiled, would I still need them profiled and grounded? I don’t want to get them done and messed up.   

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Ross said:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a place to get blades profiled in Victoria or Vancouver. I want try a Goale Sam profile.

Thanks 

I work at Cyclone Taylor Sports in Vancouver BC and we can do it, the Hockey Shop source for sports in Surrey BC is another place that can, they're  extremely knowledgable when it comes to goaltending.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been doing a lot more practice scenarios than any league games since Covid hit, and have bounced through some profiles.

I started last March with a Goalie SAM, but didn't like how rounded the toe was (10' front, 50mm flat spot in the middle, 27' back)

So I bounced over to a 30' from @SaveByRichter35's profile guy, liked the consistency throughout

Have had a half dozen skates on a 30' with a 60/120 CAG put on it, and like the stability and push a lot, but sometimes it feels like I'm on skis.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 1:33 PM, Chenner29 said:

I've been doing a lot more practice scenarios than any league games since Covid hit, and have bounced through some profiles.

I started last March with a Goalie SAM, but didn't like how rounded the toe was (10' front, 50mm flat spot in the middle, 27' back)

So I bounced over to a 30' from @SaveByRichter35's profile guy, liked the consistency throughout

Have had a half dozen skates on a 30' with a 60/120 CAG put on it, and like the stability and push a lot, but sometimes it feels like I'm on skis.

Joe gave you a 30' profile?

On 4/5/2021 at 6:17 PM, Ross said:

Does anyone know the specs of the spry j profile?

its based on skate size. 

The main point is the flat spot in the middle center at 120mm give or take depending on size, back  prob 26-28 and front prob b/t 9-11' once again prob depending on size

its a SAM profile with a larger flat spot.

Wonder who made a template for this to get more revenue?

YOu can ask a pro sharp to profile the the front and back and the get CAG for the middle.

Most places won't do that bc they don't have a CAG machine, they only have a SAM template that the sales reps sold to them to get promising them more ways to get customers and revenue.

Tydan is prob pushing for the J-spray to sell more outside of blades.

16 hours ago, DL42 said:

its based on skate size. 

The main point is the flat spot in the middle center at 120mm give or take depending on size, back  prob 26-28 and front prob b/t 9-11' once again prob depending on size

its a SAM profile with a larger flat spot.

Wonder who made a template for this to get more revenue?

YOu can ask a pro sharp to profile the the front and back and the get CAG for the middle.

Most places won't do that bc they don't have a CAG machine, they only have a SAM template that the sales reps sold to them to get promising them more ways to get customers and revenue.

Tydan is prob pushing for the J-spray to sell more outside of blades.

Must you hit [enter] so many times between your sentences?  The site is already setup for double spacing, you don't need to make everything triple spacing.  You're  not the only one that does it but its getting very annoying how often I see this.

I have this problem as well: a lot of times I will write something up in "Word" where it is easier to edit and save if I am writing over a period of time. When I paste it into the thread it auto double spaces, so I then edit out the extra spaces. But.... for some reason when I finally post the comment it goes back and re-double spaces it. So assuming I am awake enough and not in too much of a hurry, I have to edit the post and re-space. That usually does it. That is why a lot of my posts show as edited, simply trying to clean up the spacing....

17 minutes ago, Colander said:

I have this problem as well: a lot of times I will write something up in "Word" where it is easier to edit and save if I am writing over a period of time. When I paste it into the thread it auto double spaces, so I then edit out the extra spaces. But.... for some reason when I finally post the comment it goes back and re-double spaces it. So assuming I am awake enough and not in too much of a hurry, I have to edit the post and re-space. That usually does it. That is why a lot of my posts show as edited, simply trying to clean up the spacing....

Thank you for going the extra mile to correct that.  It bugs the shit out of me lol. 

Archived