Equipment bag thread

RichMan

Tried to find one with no luck...so I started one.

Post about your choice and feedback/reviews.

I have a Source for Sports vinyl bag, 40". It's massive, somewhat sturdy, no wheels. Only real downsides are how difficult it is to go through doors and it has a straight opening, I prefer a U shape opening but couldn't find one locally for my budget at the time.

I've been interested in the following for a while: JB 2200 sr bag. Anyone used one recently?
https://brownhockey.com/products/ac/b/2200

I've been using a CCM Pro Carry bag for the past 5 years and it's been great.

https://www.thehockeyshop.com/collections/goalie-carry-bags/products/ccm-pro-senior-goalie-bag?variant=31746739503170

The velcro attachment point on the carrying handle has worn out, but it's never been a real issue and has been the only fault of the bag. No other rips, tears, wear spots, etc. It won't fit your leg pads, but I don't want them to either. How else am I supposed to show off my baby blues if they're stuffed in a bag?

Also, another benefit of using a carry only bag is that you can proudly say you don't wheel your gear in.

Carrying > Wheeling.

Bring the hate.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Also, another benefit of using a carry only bag is that you can proudly say you don't wheel your gear in.

Carrying > Wheeling.

Bring the hate.

"The day I fucking wheel my bag into the rink, is the day I stop playing hockey" - Riley #letterkenny

• Like 1

Lets not bring in the wheels vs no wheels argument please. To each his own. I own both. Been lugging my gear on my shoulders for the past 30 years, often on a bus or walking to and from a rink cause I don't own a vehicle. I'm 52 and despite being a tough trooper, I have my F%#$ THIS S&%$ moments.

Back to our regular programming...

Edited by RichMan
  • Like 1

Back to regular programming...
I have a JRZ carry bag that is HUGE (my pads go in it and there is still room) and it is VERY durable.  No tears,  no seams ripping, no zipper issues, handles are still firmly attached.

Previously I had a Brown bag that lasted 20 years, so can't go wrong there either.

JRZBag.jpg

Edited by Naz
added photo

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

What good is the internet if we can't argue about nonsensical garbage?

Depends where you're looking

Facebook: Civilized discussion on political policy
Instagram: Your friends photoshopped into nice scenery, in front of nice cars, next to attractive people, etc.
Instagram (2): Your friends from High School posting about how much they love "being their own boss" while shilling useless junk for a multi level marketing company
LinkedIn: Your friend posting about a job interview experience, but bumped into a homeless crack addict while riding their 5 speed mountain bike to the interview because they're environmentally conscious.  Out of the goodness of their heart, your friend buys said homeless drug addict lunch, gives him some money, endorses him through rehab, co-signs on an auto loan and helps him repair his relationship with his estranged wife.  Then your friend finds out the homeless drug addict was CEO of the company your friend was interviewing for all along and this was all a test.  Your friend gets the job as an entry level customer service rep.
LinkedIn (2): Endless recruiter spam for jobs you are over/underqualified for
Reddit: Cat pictures
Twitter: Social justice warriors

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Facebook: Watching your parents slip into senility
Instagram: Looking at goalie gear pics
Instagram Watching your friends spam their stories with slacktivism posts
LinkedIn (2): Endless recruiter spam for jobs you are over/underqualified for (this remains true)
Reddit: 17 year olds that have it all figured out about how much of an idiot you are
Twitter: Wokeness warriors

Tidied that up for ya a bit.

• Haha 1

I have this one.

https://brownhockey.com/products/ac/b/2400

The dimensions are different than the Brown bag you’re looking at. Mine is big and at times ungainly. A negative for me is the shoulder straps are a little long, making the bag hang a little low. This in turn causes me to lean in the other direction to balance the bag as I walk. 
Positives are that it is durable, it has the U-shape opening and a separate end compartment. 

Personally, I’ve never been able to carry my pads outside my bag. I’ve tried it and it just didn’t work for me. 

I’ve had a smaller Brown bag, what the site calls the 1800, two Vaughn roller-bags (The zipper broke and Vaughn replaced it for free), a TPS roller-bag and a large Don Simmons bag. Although, the roller-bags make it easier to get your gear in and out of the building, I found the extra bulk of the frame makes it harder to get in and out of the car, house and locker room. Also the frames tend to break down. 

Incidentally, Brown does make a roller-bag, it’s just not on the site. If you’re interested contact them directly about it. 

I don't use a wheel bag because they're bulkier and I can't fit them in my car, also they usually end up falling apart on me faster.

Anyhow, I use the normal Bauer carry bag. It's been alright to me, though is starting to wear a bit after two years, some seems are coming undone. I've been cut by the little metal eyelets in its vent holes a couple times since they're warped now, kind of my own fault. Can't complain much though.

I don't put my pads in my bag, those go over my shoulder.

15 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I have this one.

https://brownhockey.com/products/ac/b/2400

The dimensions are different than the Brown bag you’re looking at. Mine is big and at times ungainly. A negative for me is the shoulder straps are a little long, making the bag hang a little low. This in turn causes me to lean in the other direction to balance the bag as I walk. 
Positives are that it is durable, it has the U-shape opening and a separate end compartment. 

Personally, I’ve never been able to carry my pads outside my bag. I’ve tried it and it just didn’t work for me. 

I’ve had a smaller Brown bag, what the site calls the 1800, two Vaughn roller-bags (The zipper broke and Vaughn replaced it for free), a TPS roller-bag and a large Don Simmons bag. Although, the roller-bags make it easier to get your gear in and out of the building, I found the extra bulk of the frame makes it harder to get in and out of the car, house and locker room. Also the frames tend to break down. 

Incidentally, Brown does make a roller-bag, it’s just not on the site. If you’re interested contact them directly about it. 

The 2400 is more of the traditional approach. What intrigue's me about the 2200 is the fact that it's more flattened out making it easier to go through entries.

As for straps, I'm 6'2 and have yet to come across a bag that fell too low off my shoulders. In fact, I experienced the opposite, too short. 

I've tried putting my pads in a large bag once and it's a no go. I wear 35"-36" pads. Add the xl pants and large c/a...not enough room and way too heavy on one side, bad for the back.

Wheeled bags do tend to be too heavy and the chassis do break down fast, not to mention rolling in snow/slush, the salts just eat away at the materials.

Used to only use the wheeled bags, but have had to adapt to using carry bags for travel since they won’t allow my sumo one on the plane. I own the true ‘17 model. it works well enough, the carry straps are wearing out but they still work fine, although the bag was pretty worn as it is when i got it from the store. and they’re not too much money so if anything happens i’ll just grab another one. i had a teal one before and had no issues with it, had to change b/c of my team colors 

10 hours ago, RichMan said:

The 2400 is more of the traditional approach. What intrigue's me about the 2200 is the fact that it's more flattened out making it easier to go through entries.

As for straps, I'm 6'2 and have yet to come across a bag that fell too low off my shoulders. In fact, I experienced the opposite, too short. 

I've tried putting my pads in a large bag once and it's a no go. I wear 35"-36" pads. Add the xl pants and large c/a...not enough room and way too heavy on one side, bad for the back.

Wheeled bags do tend to be too heavy and the chassis do break down fast, not to mention rolling in snow/slush, the salts just eat away at the materials.

If you get the 2200, I’d love to hear how you like it. I was scared away by it’s shape and went with the more conventional one. 

To those who carry their pads separately, do you really need a goalie bag for the rest of your stuff? Wouldn’t a player bag be sufficient?

This is what I've been using the past year.  First bag I've had thats big enough to fit my pads into as well.  Couldn't care less about the wheel argument as its way more convenient for me.  Although I did love that scene in Letterkenny this past season which is being filmed funny enough in the rink I grew up playing in Capreol, Ontario.  If they moved the camera to left you'd see old team photos from back in the 80s and I'm in one of those when I was in tykes.

ccm-goalie-equipment-bag-pro-wheeled-large-44in.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

If you get the 2200, I’d love to hear how you like it. I was scared away by it’s shape and went with the more conventional one. 

To those who carry their pads separately, do you really need a goalie bag for the rest of your stuff? Wouldn’t a player bag be sufficient?

I will for sure. As for using a forward bag, with the size of my equipment, I definitely need a 36" or 38" minimum or else I have trouble zipping up. Can't speak for the shorties out there though lolll. I also found that some of the intermediate and occasionally junior goalie bags are sufficient for all the gear excluding the pads. Brian's has a nice intermediate one at 38" with a large U shape opening.

On 1/7/2021 at 4:30 PM, motowngoalie said:

I've been using the Warrior wheeled bag for the past 2.5 years. It's holding up very well and all of my gear fits inside easily. 

IMG_20180616_181245.jpg

I have the same bag and I love it. The bag is a beast. 

Wheel bags are awesome. Easy to use and saves my bad back. I have taken my fair bit of comments about it over the years but it's all in good fun.

• 4 weeks later...

At around 25 years of playing, I have used several bags, including a Vaughn wheeled bag, the Brian's sterling bag, and others. Without a doubt, the best bag I have used (by far) is the Brown 2200. If you carry your bag and want to put your pads in the bag, this is the one for you.

Do not be fooled by the dimensions, the bag takes the shape of a skinny rectangle. It has one long strap and one short strap and is designed to be carried through regular sized doors which is the most useful and notable feature. It also has a U shaped opening, better constructed zippers than what I am used to seeing on bags, and a waterproof material that is textured and thicker than the other types of sterling material that you see on bags like Brian's, Eagle, JRZ, etc.

I wear 33 +2 Brian's and they fit in the bag without an issue. The only thing I can really nit pick is that there are large grommet holes in the perimeter - I have managed to bend a few grommets here and there in the 9 or so years that I have had this bag. All I do is put it on a hard surface and hammer the grommet back to the original shape. I have had my bag stepped on many times and it has been drug, dropped, pulled, etc. and nothing has ripped or cut on it. My Brian's sterling bag started getting cuts in it eventually. I think I paid around 150 US for the bag when I got it which was not the most expensive at the time. I believe John will do red or blue colored bags by request.

I am also a fan of the Brown stick bag. I have 4 dogs and hair getting on the tape is not ideal. Also, it saves your back windows from getting glue residue in the summer time if you have a small car and your sticks are pressed against the window.

Edited by Taco
  • Like 2

On 2/3/2021 at 6:56 PM, Taco said:

At around 25 years of playing, I have used several bags, including a Vaughn wheeled bag, the Brian's sterling bag, and others. Without a doubt, the best bag I have used (by far) is the Brown 2200. If you carry your bag and want to put your pads in the bag, this is the one for you.

Do not be fooled by the dimensions, the bag takes the shape of a skinny rectangle. It has one long strap and one short strap and is designed to be carried through regular sized doors which is the most useful and notable feature. It also has a U shaped opening, better constructed zippers than what I am used to seeing on bags, and a waterproof material that is textured and thicker than the other types of sterling material that you see on bags like Brian's, Eagle, JRZ, etc.

I wear 33 +2 Brian's and they fit in the bag without an issue. The only thing I can really nit pick is that there are large grommet holes in the perimeter - I have managed to bend a few grommets here and there in the 9 or so years that I have had this bag. All I do is put it on a hard surface and hammer the grommet back to the original shape. I have had my bag stepped on many times and it has been drug, dropped, pulled, etc. and nothing has ripped or cut on it. My Brian's sterling bag started getting cuts in it eventually. I think I paid around 150 US for the bag when I got it which was not the most expensive at the time. I believe John will do red or blue colored bags by request.

I am also a fan of the Brown stick bag. I have 4 dogs and hair getting on the tape is not ideal. Also, it saves your back windows from getting glue residue in the summer time if you have a small car and your sticks are pressed against the window.

How much space does the bag take in the change rooms on the floor given its shape?

Edited by RichMan