Should this be happening?

I am currently on my third Vaughn chesty. Overall they have been pretty decent, thats why I have stuck with them. I went from ventus to v6 to v7. One problem has stayed constant with all of them though. The front of my shoulders get absolutely DRILLED. Same place, three chesties, about 7 years. On my current one I even added d30 to the spot that gets hit and here I am still getting hit. Has anyone had this happen with other chesties? Any solution ideas?

6B504C2A-D004-4834-974E-A85BCBFF8BBF.jpeg

On 1/25/2021 at 10:12 PM, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I am currently on my third Vaughn chesty. Overall they have been pretty decent, thats why I have stuck with them. I went from ventus to v6 to v7. One problem has stayed constant with all of them though. The front of my shoulders get absolutely DRILLED. Same place, three chesties, about 7 years. On my current one I even added d30 to the spot that gets hit and here I am still getting hit. Has anyone had this happen with other chesties? Any solution ideas?

Do you use a padded shirt or a neck gaurd? Like the v8 or slr2 shirts or aegis pro G neckguard or Kovi?

i have found that best way to avoid major bruises which can still happen is to layer up your protection. 

I use a Aegis pro G neck gaurd and a v8 padded shirt. Still get minor bruise but does help your protect against some ex major junior and nhlers players that I normally play against in shinny.

These all happened thru the C/A protection?!?!?!?!  I must be playing with skaters that are far too soft, as I cannot imagine anything hitting me with the force to bruise thru the padding.  I've got a pretty nice Vaughn ventus that saw some USHL play before me, so I think it was a nice piece in it's day.  I have felt virtually indestructible while wearing that thing.  But maybe I am not facing the shooters that can outmatch its level of protection. . .

5 hours ago, TDS-MN said:

These all happened thru the C/A protection?!?!?!?!  I must be playing with skaters that are far too soft, as I cannot imagine anything hitting me with the force to bruise thru the padding.  I've got a pretty nice Vaughn ventus that saw some USHL play before me, so I think it was a nice piece in it's day.  I have felt virtually indestructible while wearing that thing.  But maybe I am not facing the shooters that can outmatch its level of protection. . .

I got this one from my goalie coach who works out 7 days week and then the same spot got hit by a u18 aaa guy. I have gotten these bruises though from u15 aa all the way up to d1 shooters

18 hours ago, PAW the OX said:

Do you use a padded shirt or a neck gaurd? Like the v8 or slr2 shirts or aegis pro G neckguard or Kovi?

i have found that best way to avoid major bruises which can still happen is to layer up your protection. 

I use a Aegis pro G neck gaurd and a v8 padded shirt. Still get minor bruise but does help your protect against some ex major junior and nhlers players that I normally play against in shinny.

I wear the ccm shirt kneck guard thing

Take your C/A and maybe even put it on and then check that area. There has to be some spot where the protection doesn't layer up or there is a lack of plastic/whatever sheeting or padding.

Ihad one slapper to my shoulder when my Brown rebuild was in testing phase and that puck found a spot where there was only plastic sheet and thin padding. The major padding had an opening. Got that fixed right after and since then no problems. And that was my fault to repeat myself, not Browns 🙈

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/26/2021 at 1:12 AM, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I asked the same a month or so ago. One guy had his modded with a second shoulder cap. I'm going to do the same 

I was at Gladiator practice down here a couple years ago watching Sean Bonar (Bones)  work out.. he took a shot that found a hole up around the shoulder .. skated to the boards hunched over.. you could tell he was hurting. He shook it off and kept on going. Don't what kind of c/a he was using. 

Archived