Airbrushed My Own Mask! Complete Beginner, 300+ hours of work total.

kylewesbury

I finally made it to college (Liberty University) and decided it was time for a custom mask after 11 years of playing the game. Initially contacted grangroth graphics in hopes of having him paint it. We got pretty far into the design process. But the more I researched the art of airbrushing, the more I wanted to pick it up and try it myself to give myself full creative freedom and possibly make a business out of this. I mean, DaveArt and JBo had to start somewhere, right? Might as well save some money and do it myself!

So I did that. 

After 300+ hours of work (including researching hardware, techniques, test runs on old masks, designing the art in photoshop, and painting the final product), I am proud to release the final product. Really happy with how it turned out, and looking forward to doing some for others! 

(P.S.: This is in no way a degradation of professional mask painters! I have a tremendous amount of respect for all of the work they do. This also wouldn’t have been possible without the advice of JBo Airbrushing (Carey Price’s half man half machine mask painted) as he was there to give me helpful advice all along the way! Be sure to check out his work, he’s an amazing guy and extremely talented as well.)

D1C5B8E3-B48A-4AAF-8C92-E6EBF6731B7A.jpeg

A57EC9B9-2C39-4D9C-BCB4-4B327F32CD05.jpeg

4D19D3BE-D0DC-41EA-9776-E5A74FC8C4B6.png

6F4211DA-649B-477E-A79A-F8D1372C8EC0.png

31 minutes ago, kylewesbury said:

I finally made it to college (Liberty University) and decided it was time for a custom mask after 11 years of playing the game. Initially contacted grangroth graphics in hopes of having him paint it. We got pretty far into the design process. But the more I researched the art of airbrushing, the more I wanted to pick it up and try it myself to give myself full creative freedom and possibly make a business out of this. I mean, DaveArt and JBo had to start somewhere, right? Might as well save some money and do it myself!

So I did that. 

After 300+ hours of work (including researching hardware, techniques, test runs on old masks, designing the art in photoshop, and painting the final product), I am proud to release the final product. Really happy with how it turned out, and looking forward to doing some for others! 

(P.S.: This is in no way a degradation of professional mask painters! I have a tremendous amount of respect for all of the work they do. This also wouldn’t have been possible without the advice of JBo Airbrushing (Carey Price’s half man half machine mask painted) as he was there to give me helpful advice all along the way! Be sure to check out his work, he’s an amazing guy and extremely talented as well.)

D1C5B8E3-B48A-4AAF-8C92-E6EBF6731B7A.jpeg

A57EC9B9-2C39-4D9C-BCB4-4B327F32CD05.jpeg

4D19D3BE-D0DC-41EA-9776-E5A74FC8C4B6.png

6F4211DA-649B-477E-A79A-F8D1372C8EC0.png

So I'm looking to slap on a pretty basic design onto my own mask after having plain white for a number of years now... and I'll be honest... seeing what you did on your own makes me feel like I could do much more than what I have planned. Fantastic job on the execution!! The color gradients and shadowing look awesome. 

Any other pictures you could share during process? Like masking etc.

7 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

So I'm looking to slap on a pretty basic design onto my own mask after having plain white for a number of years now... and I'll be honest... seeing what you did on your own makes me feel like I could do much more than what I have planned. Fantastic job on the execution!! The color gradients and shadowing look awesome. 

Any other pictures you could share during process? Like masking etc.

Sure!

Don't have too many pictures of the masking process, but it’s simple enough  these are basically all the major steps I went through while painting.

9E8411D1-4B36-4DBE-9DDA-C5297E5B105C.jpeg

35A2EF17-1B76-40FB-8140-E9D38D52A7B7.jpeg

52D62C40-528F-414C-92D0-784C370AC084.jpeg

C0776B27-90C7-4836-8DD6-351FDA99C44E.jpeg

2C91222E-716A-44B6-913D-94441F7043A4.jpeg

D0486E9B-99CD-466E-9355-CE4AD93758F8.jpeg

216360E5-2287-49F1-BA7E-3D355BD5AEE6.jpeg

DB952E23-1A42-40B6-ACC6-2A4A74202EB8.jpeg

D1B5E33A-5C9C-4C83-91C7-E907AFE0D732.jpeg

FB200009-91CA-424B-880F-9FE3AA5BA958.jpeg

784D27A3-3A72-45F3-BD69-030BC6CFD478.jpeg

10 hours ago, kylewesbury said:

So I did that. 

This is some awesome work.

I've seen some guys who charge for paint that aren't able to get some of the lines as clean as you did.

15 hours ago, kylewesbury said:

For sure. I definitely have a better grip on things now. It got way easier as I went on.

Yeah - but as you go you will probably ending up doing even more complex designs so time is a gremlin you will probably always chase.

Great job! It's always nice to see people taking on these hands-on tasks - and succeeding. Remember, though, experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted. 👍

(sorry if this ends up coming up twice - first time I sent it it didn't seem to want to go...)

Man, freaking awesome work.  It looks so good.  And major props to you for consulting with a pro.  You have some major talent and dedication and you show great respect for hitting up a top guy doing this work.

What's your story?  You are in university so 20ish years old....are you an artist otherwise?  Studying or practicing other art?  Is mask painting a career ambition of yours on some level?

Archived