What cup do you use? Protecting the family jewels

Scott

3 hours ago, Scott said:

Where do you get these? They seem rare

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Have never seen this before. I assume not available at retail, or is it just an old model?

Old model probably about 6 years ago they were released. These 2 units would be current and based on the same lines. The Vapor the most current

https://goalie.purehockey.com/product/Supreme_Goalie_Jock/itm/12065-41/?m

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/accessories/jocks-cups/adult-jocks-cups/bauer-goalie-jock-vapor-sr.html

My own I use Brian's double cup, I have had 2 different Browns models,  Vaughn double cup, Bauer Pro and Warrior. The Warrior on felt cheaply made and I didn't like the fact on how much the outer shield moved around. The Vaughn I wore it for 5 years before replacing it. The Browns were awesome but very big and bulky, the side bumpers on them stick far and was worried about being hit. The Bauer Pro fell apart after a year and half and I replaced it with the Brians double cup.

10 minutes ago, Snowman30 said:

Old model probably about 6 years ago they were released. These 2 units would be current and based on the same lines. The Vapor the most current

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/accessories/jocks-cups/adult-jocks-cups/bauer-goalie-jock-vapor-sr.html

Yes of course we've all seen both of these. I have the Vapor one (though it's blue because it used to be Reactor). The Bauer Pro shown above looks quite a bit different. 

Over the years some gifted shooters have taught me that multi cup is the only way to go. Personally I'm currently wearing a tried and true RBK SR Pro in addition to a standard Shock Doctor unit. The RBK unit has had some elastic refreshed over the years, but it works well, and no interference issues. Shock Doctor goes on first, Under Armor 3/4 compression pants, then the RBK jock.

Product Details   Image result for reebok goalie jock

15 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Have never seen this before. I assume not available at retail, or is it just an old model?

17 hours ago, Scott said:

Where do you get these? They seem rare

It is older model, available at retail maybe 5 years back. It is different from actual supreme & vapor/reactror, because it has big air pillow inside. Works and holds realy well even after all those years ;).

On 11/26/2017 at 2:25 PM, TheGoalNet said:

I have the Warrior Jock. 

Big fan of it. Great protection, good comfort, and lightweight. @Kirk3190 and the Warrior team have a nice product here. 

May complaint probably hits a very SMALL number of people... 

I’ve worn this with CCM 420 and CCM HPG 12 Pants, Brian’s GNetik C&A, and Vaughn V6 with this unit. I tuck my C&A

There’s ridge on the top of the jock that is designed to be more ergonomic in the stance. 

However, when I’d make the occasional sprawling J.Quick save, it would get caught in my GNetik C&A. The C&A would be out of whack for the rest of the game. This was once every few skates. 

With the V6, it’s much shorter. There is minimal overlap between the Cup and stomach piece. The issue went away. 

So the only time I’d caution someone away from this unit? If you have a long C&A, tuck, and make a lot of sprawling saves. A unit that is flat on top might be be a better choice for you 

The top section of the jock is designed to be more ergonomic as you crouch into your stance.  They do work well with tucking C/A unit into your pants though.  Length of the C/A interfering with the jock can easily be resolved by removing the front length extension area of any G2 Pro, G2 Classic Pro, GT Pro or GT SR model C/A unit.  

How a goaltender tucks their C/A into their pants is often unique to the individual goalie.  For me, I tuck the front, tie it down, leave the sides of the C/A outside my pants & and throw suspenders over my C/A unit.  There are multiple combinations, one no better than the other.  Just whatever feels best.  We've always had this in mind and wanted our C/A to work for every goalie so the length extensions were a no brainer.

@Kirk3190 - Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully my post clear as well, I use the cup and like it. 

My only caution is for anyone with a  long C&A and tucking. I wouldn't call it a product downfall by any means, just something for a specific range of goalies to consider. My Brian's C&A unit did NOT have a removable piece, but is a great thing to point out for anyone with that feature on the C&A. 

I happen to be in a market for a jock. Has anyone used a Vaughn model like this: https://www.goaliemonkey.com/catalog/product/view/id/260156?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9MTGitjp1wIVyBuBCh1c4Q-uEAQYASABEgJUdvD_BwE

I think this design has been available under various model numbers for a while now. Looking for something lightweight that can handle intermediate men’s league. I have tried the Warrior and like @TheGoalNet pointed out, it interferes way too much with my C/A. Keep in mind I’m only 5’8” and tuck so my C/A is probably going to hit any jock just looking for minimal interaction. 

On 11/28/2017 at 11:50 AM, Snowman30 said:

My own I use Brian's double cup, I have had 2 different Browns models,  Vaughn double cup, Bauer Pro and Warrior. The Warrior on felt cheaply made and I didn't like the fact on how much the outer shield moved around. The Vaughn I wore it for 5 years before replacing it. The Browns were awesome but very big and bulky, the side bumpers on them stick far and was worried about being hit. The Bauer Pro fell apart after a year and half and I replaced it with the Brians double cup.

Huh, I just saw the Supreme in the store today for the first time. I had thought they were about the same, just with different colors. turns out the bauer has a "Double cup" plastic bit over the top that you really can't see in the photos. I think I may pick one up. 

On 12/1/2017 at 3:54 PM, Punisher Goalie said:

I happen to be in a market for a jock. Has anyone used a Vaughn model like this: https://www.goaliemonkey.com/catalog/product/view/id/260156?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9MTGitjp1wIVyBuBCh1c4Q-uEAQYASABEgJUdvD_BwE

I think this design has been available under various model numbers for a while now. Looking for something lightweight that can handle intermediate men’s league. I have tried the Warrior and like @TheGoalNet pointed out, it interferes way too much with my C/A. Keep in mind I’m only 5’8” and tuck so my C/A is probably going to hit any jock just looking for minimal interaction. 

Depending on if you're crafty with box cutter, needle & thread or not you can always (carefully) remove the top part that bends as you get into a low crouch.  I wouldn't recommend removing the ShockShield plate though.  It's designed to disperse energy from the puck so the shot is not a direct force against your jock.  On a jock that has a fixed outer/double cup a shot from any side angle or straight on  forces the jock into.. well.. areas you don't want it to. Lol!

5 hours ago, Kirk3190 said:

Depending on if you're crafty with box cutter, needle & thread or not you can always (carefully) remove the top part that bends as you get into a low crouch.  I wouldn't recommend removing the ShockShield plate though.  It's designed to disperse energy from the puck so the shot is not a direct force against your jock.  On a jock that has a fixed outer/double cup a shot from any side angle or straight on  forces the jock into.. well.. areas you don't want it to. Lol!

Good suggestion. I do consider myself competent with such tools so I may give that a shot. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2017 at 2:54 PM, Punisher Goalie said:

Did you end up going with a Vaughn?  None of the LHS here carry Warrior and my usual online retailer never got back to me.  This morning I ordered a V7 XF from the Hockey Shop Goal.  I want less bulk (most jocks now seem like Pelvic Protectors) and this seemed to be the one for me.  Review to follow

vaughnproxfintjock.thumb.jpg.b4ebb30da322f415fc85a626987e0471.jpg

3 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Did you end up going with a Vaughn?  None of the LHS here carry Warrior and my usual online retailer never got back to me.  This morning I ordered a V7 XF from the Hockey Shop Goal.  I want less bulk (most jocks now seem like Pelvic Protectors) and this seemed to be the one for me.  Review to follow

vaughnproxfintjock.thumb.jpg.b4ebb30da322f415fc85a626987e0471.jpg

I did - my LHS had the one I posted above in red (it has some pelvic protection).

I like it so far. Skated with it twice. Nice and light. Only issue for me is I have a 29” waist and even on the smallest setting the waistband is too big for me. I will be modding the straps myself to tighten it up. In the meantime, my jock shorts with the player cup and my pants seem to be holding it in place just fine. 

38 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

I did - my LHS had the one I posted above in red (it has some pelvic protection).

I like it so far. Skated with it twice. Nice and light. Only issue for me is I have a 29” waist and even on the smallest setting the waistband is too big for me. I will be modding the straps myself to tighten it up. In the meantime, my jock shorts with the player cup and my pants seem to be holding it in place just fine. 

Good to know... I'm looking forward to getting mine in the next few days.  

Archived