Favorite Set Up of All Time

TheGoalNet

3 hours ago, raucebyalien said:

Given that the thread is quite NHL heavy, thought I'd mix it up and throw in a few of my favourites from the UK EIHL:

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 19.23.36.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 19.25.45.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 19.29.12.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 19.31.12.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 19.36.25.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 19.37.22.png

Wow - that last one, in grape popsicle-purple and Banana penicillin yellow...? Is there some psychological edge there? Cus if not, that is an abomination (IMHO).

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/2/2018 at 6:44 AM, stackem30 said:

Same... gotta be me!

It's tough for me to pick my favorite Brodeur set, but his Heaton Helite 6's have a special place in my heart. Time has shown that they were never as popular or recognizable as his Helite IV's, but I liked the H6 graphic better, they looked great with his mismatched left-right color scheme, and the 2000 season was my favorite as a kid. The CCM version he wore in 2001 was essentially the same graphic with some minor tweeks, but the CCM logo can't compare to that beautiful Heaton script. 

If I'm being honest with myself, I probably wouldn't love this graphic if it came out today... a little too flashy, too busy, too barbed, etc. Still, I think this was Brodeur's best look. Nostalgia makes for an interesting lens, and I loved so much of the gear from ~2000. Richter, Cujo, Roy, Belfour, Hasek... so many amazing goalies in unique setups from great brands.

Capture.JPG.95cf1d2da394f6d278539ab38fa68490.JPG

25889.jpg.7d5f13bbe8548da2aa41acd425798e6a.jpg

Have an upvote!  Probably one of my favorite sets as well.  The asymmetric colors on the pads always stood out to me, as well as the huge Heaton logo taking up half the blocker.

I always loved the Koho 560s.
A much cleaner design than the 500s.
Notice the little bar on the landing side of the knee.  These were made illegal pretty quickly by the league

image.thumb.png.2f5033971f29bd3d104de02418aaabab.png

Dan Ellis has had some nice ones.

image.png.e365bf35ec2bffcf9a48114fb326332a.png

image.png.2900bd1c03940f6d750286bf21cb3567.png

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/4/2018 at 6:52 PM, Chenner29 said:

Notice the little bar on the landing side of the knee.  These were made illegal pretty quickly by the league

image.thumb.png.2f5033971f29bd3d104de02418aaabab.png

Wanted to bump this excellent thread to see if some newer members wanted to add their all-time favorite setup...

I was also curious about the 'little bar on the landing side of the knee'. Are you referring to that split Y strap that's woven into his landing gear (not correcting your phrasing)? That seems so innocuous to me, and I generally dislike all the little clever, cheaty things on goalie gear that makes it bigger. Especially since it's woven into his landing gear, it almost seems like it might keep it more flush to the leg... I'm just curious to hear the advantage it gave, and why it was banned.

It's funny to see the things that got banned, especially in the very late 90's/early 00's, right when the size of some gear was beginning to balloon. I remember going to a Devils practice at South Mountain Arena in the summer of 1999, and Brodeur had some fresh-out-of-the-box Heaton Helite 6's, with not a puck mark on them. He was even still wearing his mask from the 1999 season with a lot of chips in the paint (he had a freshly painted mask at some point later on in the 2000 season) and using his black Helite IV stick. Anyway, the thing that fascinated me was the little hologram oval with the 6 at the top of his pads were a real hologram (reflected all the colors of the prism, green/blue/yellow etc). Years later, I would read Brodeur's autobiography and learn that someone on the Islanders (I want to say Mariusz Czerkawski) complained about the holograms reflecting light in the pre-season, and Brodeur was asked to cover the hologram with tape. The pro/senior Helite 6 pads that Brodeur wore that year, and the ones that were on the market, had a hologram-ish red/black/white oval that was different from what I first saw him wear. They didn't really reflect color the same way, and were definitely more muted. The oval was done away with entirely when CCM acquired Heaton and gave the Helite 6 a small makeover.

Anyway, always interesting what's allowed, and what isn't. And I always wondered if changing the holograms was something that Heaton rushed to fix before they released that line to the public for order or something. Anyone know more about this?

It's mandatory that players in the National Hockey League have a specific set up on their gloves. For example, the Montreal Canadiens MUST have gloves that have a red cuff with white font. Otherwise the rest of the glove can be whatever they choose. Or the Toronto Maple Leafs must have a white cuff on their glove wit h blue font and whatever combination of white and blue. Minnesota Wild gloves can have a predominately green glove but must have a red cuff with antique gold font. Boston must have all black with white font. Same with Calgary. And so on and so on.

It'd be nice to impose these types of rules on goalies and have a much nicer of variety of gear to look at instead of the endless white trend. there'd be more favorite set ups in the present day. All the best looking gear is in the distant past.

Habs_gloves.jpg

Leafs_gloves.jpg

Minny_Gloves.jpg

7 hours ago, stackem30 said:

Wanted to bump this excellent thread to see if some newer members wanted to add their all-time favorite setup...

I was also curious about the 'little bar on the landing side of the knee'. Are you referring to that split Y strap that's woven into his landing gear (not correcting your phrasing)? That seems so innocuous to me, and I generally dislike all the little clever, cheaty things on goalie gear that makes it bigger. Especially since it's woven into his landing gear, it almost seems like it might keep it more flush to the leg... I'm just curious to hear the advantage it gave, and why it was banned. 

It's funny to see the things that got banned, especially in the very late 90's/early 00's, right when the size of some gear was beginning to balloon. I remember going to a Devils practice at South Mountain Arena in the summer of 1999, and Brodeur had some fresh-out-of-the-box Heaton Helite 6's, with not a puck mark on them. He was even still wearing his mask from the 1999 season with a lot of chips in the paint (he had a freshly painted mask at some point later on in the 2000 season) and using his black Helite IV stick. Anyway, the thing that fascinated me was the little hologram oval with the 6 at the top of his pads were a real hologram (reflected all the colors of the prism, green/blue/yellow etc). Years later, I would read Brodeur's autobiography and learn that someone on the Islanders (I want to say Mariusz Czerkawski) complained about the holograms reflecting light in the pre-season, and Brodeur was asked to cover the hologram with tape. The pro/senior Helite 6 pads that Brodeur wore that year, and the ones that were on the market, had a hologram-ish red/black/white oval that was different from what I first saw him wear. They didn't really reflect color the same way, and were definitely more muted. The oval was done away with entirely when CCM acquired Heaton and gave the Helite 6 a small makeover.

Anyway, always interesting what's allowed, and what isn't. And I always wondered if changing the holograms was something that Heaton rushed to fix before they released that line to the public for order or something. Anyone know more about this?

No, this is what I'm talking about.  It's a foam block, maybe 1/2 inch thick with a jenpro cover that effectively extends the blocking surface of the pad as you are dropping to the butterfly.

image.png.e85c9432c285a9629cf349d94559bc1f.png

It's hard to see because of the lighting.  Here's the same bar on Brochu's pads.

image.png.34a9b23684c035ea61e1225b99128d1e.png

I didn't like Brodeur's biography.  He came off as an entitled whiner.

I absolutely love this set up on Ryan Miller. I think it’s the best colour combo in hockey. The Canucks need to wear these jerseys more!

I’ve always been a fan of the Koho 580s, but what Giggy did in the ‘03 playoffs makes this a favourite of mine. 

Crawford always has a clean looking set up. Really love the black with a touch of red in there. 

FBAF0E38-7B0A-484D-9940-98C198D5ADCD.png

D08AD3BB-ED32-4ADB-A704-DFB41708DFD4.png

72824549-F81D-4BB8-A9A0-67697E3C36EE.png

3 minutes ago, Matt35 said:

I absolutely love this set up on Ryan Miller. I think it’s the best colour combo in hockey. The Canucks need to wear these jerseys more!

I’ve always been a fan of the Koho 580s, but what Giggy did in the ‘03 playoffs makes this a favourite of mine. 

Crawford always has a clean looking set up. Really love the black with a touch of red in there. 

FBAF0E38-7B0A-484D-9940-98C198D5ADCD.png

Don't worry, we want these jersey's back too.

18 minutes ago, MTH said:

Another all time setup...

a5bf7c7806ce6a0f31ac7492e4557946.jpg

It's a vintage - vintage setup.

this set up always puzzled me... 

Did he want retro and was he the first to do it? Did Vaughn not have gold because Dallas was new? Did he want brown leather because of a texas steer?

16 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

No, this is what I'm talking about.  It's a foam block, maybe 1/2 inch thick with a jenpro cover that effectively extends the blocking surface of the pad as you are dropping to the butterfly.

image.png.e85c9432c285a9629cf349d94559bc1f.png

It's hard to see because of the lighting.  Here's the same bar on Brochu's pads.

image.png.34a9b23684c035ea61e1225b99128d1e.png

I didn't like Brodeur's biography.  He came off as an entitled whiner.

Ah I gotcha, I definitely didn't see that the first time around.

I didn't love Brodeur's autobiography either, in truth. I'm obviously a big fan of his, and there was no way I wasn't going to read it... but his personal insights and opinions didn't do much for me, and I didn't learn as many cool insider stories as I'd hoped. Plus, it's clearly a "I sat down for a bunch of interviews and then this writer wrote the book for me" autobiography. Not uncommon for athletes, but still not super fun to read.

I'm a huge fan of his work on the ice: loved his style, his gear, and his demeanor, etc. He's my all-time favorite athlete. But I've never really cared about him as a person, or given much weight to what he thinks about xyz.

2 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

I'm a huge fan of his work on the ice: loved his style, his gear, and his demeanor, etc. He's my all-time favorite athlete. But I've never really cared about him as a person, or given much weight to what he thinks about xyz.

Which is the correct way to see any athlete.

11 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Image result for latrell sprewell mime

Latrell Matters 

So because of my ignorance of all things basketball, I had to look this guy up.

Man, I'm so glad I did.

Latrell Fontaine Sprewell (born September 8, 1970) is an American former professional basketball player; he played for the Golden State Warriors, the New York Knicks, and the Minnesota Timberwolves. During his time as a professional, Sprewell was named to the yearly NBA All-Star game four times; he also helped the Knicks reach the NBA Finals and the Timberwolves the Western Conference finals. Despite his accomplishments, his career was overshadowed by a 1997 incident in which he choked coach P. J. Carlesimo during a practice, which ultimately resulted in a 68-game suspension.

Sprewell's career came to an unexpected end in 2005 when he refused a $21-million three-year contract offer from the Timberwolves, which Sprewell implied would not be enough to feed his children. The Timberwolves offered him nothing more. Since that time, he has made headlines for grounding his million-dollar yacht and subsequently having it repossessed for missed payments, having two of his homes foreclosed upon, and being prohibited from seeing his children

Archived