Favorite Set Up of All Time

TheGoalNet

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Are you referring to how they curled inward at the top?  If so that was stock on those pads.  Still got a pair in my basement.  I remember hearing a story early in 95 the first year he switched from the original revolutions. That he hated the 500s. Couldn't get use to them.  Montreal slumped early in the year then went on a streak then slumped. Coach was fired Mario Tremblay (sp?) was hired.  Not long after that Roy was shipped to Colorado. In June hoisted the cup in those Red white and Blue 500s. Glove and Blocker were avalanche red by cup time.  Montreal cursed ever since.  

• 1 year later...

For me, in that early 90s era where the equipment leaps ahead in the cool looks factor (those early Vaughn Legacy pads blew my young mind! And the Aeroflex? But where are the rolls, Darren Puppa? For the love of God - don’t you need rolls on pads??? Lol!) my fav was Tim Cheveldae. The Wings have such a classic look as it is. Great mask art too. I was crushed when they sent him to Winnipeg! Here’s some of the cards I have from back in the day:

A4B7CADB-655D-4000-A7CB-40703DD4FB59.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

For me, in that early 90s era where the equipment leaps ahead in the cool looks factor (those early Vaughn Legacy pads blew my young mind! And the Aeroflex? But where are the rolls, Darren Puppa? For the love of God - don’t you need rolls on pads??? Lol!) my fav was Tim Cheveldae. The Wings have such a classic look as it is. Great mask art too. I was crushed when they sent him to Winnipeg! Here’s some of the cards I have from back in the day:

Hah! For some reason, I always hated he didn’t have Heaton pads

great thread to revive 

On 3/9/2017 at 8:09 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I know I know, I am a walking cliche

Same... gotta be me!

It's tough for me to pick my favorite Brodeur set, but his Heaton Helite 6's have a special place in my heart. Time has shown that they were never as popular or recognizable as his Helite IV's, but I liked the H6 graphic better, they looked great with his mismatched left-right color scheme, and the 2000 season was my favorite as a kid. The CCM version he wore in 2001 was essentially the same graphic with some minor tweeks, but the CCM logo can't compare to that beautiful Heaton script. 

If I'm being honest with myself, I probably wouldn't love this graphic if it came out today... a little too flashy, too busy, too barbed, etc. Still, I think this was Brodeur's best look. Nostalgia makes for an interesting lens, and I loved so much of the gear from ~2000. Richter, Cujo, Roy, Belfour, Hasek... so many amazing goalies in unique setups from great brands.

Capture.JPG.95cf1d2da394f6d278539ab38fa68490.JPG

25889.jpg.7d5f13bbe8548da2aa41acd425798e6a.jpg

4 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I’m gonna break my card binder out shortly now!!!!

So, obviously I like Brian's gloves with Vaughn, Brown, and Miller Pads!

Loved Bester's Louisville sticks as well.  What I really liked with Hrivnak and Bester as well was the Harrison mask topping it all off.

hrivnak_jim.jpg

Ron-Hextall.jpg

BesterWings.jpg

BesterLeafs.jpg

I may be mis-remembering, but I always thought of Kari Takko as the first to go all white - including stick (though he did rock a red Montreal stick for a bit). I thought that was so cool as a kid; vivid memories of him in the ‘87 Canada cup series (we had the “Blades of Summer” VHS cassette; I wore that thing out!)

1A35A849-AEB1-4366-9A69-54ED7C1DD263.jpeg

Archived