Let's Talk Skates

13 minutes ago, Droner said:

Anyone have any opinions on the Bauer Reactor 9000 skates? I'm using a pair of One100s right now, but they're thrashed. Goaliemonkey has the 9000s on clearance with 20% off for memorial day that I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt as:

1. Bauer doesn't fit my toes 

2. I've only skated in nxgs 

But, from playing around with them in store they're the same skate, but the Reactor will have a softer boot. More like a ribcor ccm. 

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/28/2018 at 12:02 PM, goalie said:

Does the Bauer S2 have more room in the toe cap area?

I have bunions and narley big toes. The regular toe cap set up gives me issues.

And yes I know the answer is to go True.

True may not be the answer as I’ve read the toe is doesn’t change but I cannot believe that, that rules out custom at that point

3 hours ago, Bgums13 said:

True may not be the answer as I’ve read the toe is doesn’t change but I cannot believe that, that rules out custom at that point

That was the answer I got from them, no option to go with a larger toe cap. That was essentially the deal breaker for me as I tried on some pro returns in Winnipeg and wasn't convinced there be enough room in the toe cap to put adhesive toe warmers on top of my foot. I have plenty of room to do so in my X900. 

12 hours ago, Nova said:

That was the answer I got from them, no option to go with a larger toe cap. That was essentially the deal breaker for me as I tried on some pro returns in Winnipeg and wasn't convinced there be enough room in the toe cap to put adhesive toe warmers on top of my foot. I have plenty of room to do so in my X900. 

Good info, True won't be any good for me either. Do you think the x900 toe cap is more room than a conventional Bauer (i.e.: 6000)

3 hours ago, goalie said:

Good info, True won't be any good for me either. Do you think the x900 toe cap is more room than a conventional Bauer (i.e.: 6000)

Definitely not. I moved from S190 to X900 and still had issues with toe cap room. 

Well, last night was the night I travelled 25 years into the future of skate technology!!!  As I posted in another thread, I've been rocking the OG of goalie pump skates the circa '95 CCM Tack Pumps....

download.jpg.683ebf1046e43262c1df66c14afb51c3.jpg

I snagged a set of last years Pro Tacks from a guy on the weekend of a steal and what a difference.

Image result for ccm pro tacks goalie skates

Jumped right into the fire with them during a game last night and noticed a few things:

1 - Holy shit these are sharp.... I went with my normal 5/8 hollow as they are 4mm blades but even after trying to dull them on the bench they stuck to the ice like pics.  By the end of the game shuffles seemed easier so hopefully tonight they are in the swe

2 - So much lighter... obviously... they are 3/4 the weight of my old kicks

file-1.thumb.jpeg.ecb6a81555de424516b945fba41777bc.jpeg

3 - Very noticable differnce in the power behind my pushes...  Its like youre launching when you push out or across to challenge a shot

4 - That attack angle....

5 - No pain or blisters... which blows my mind.

They will take a few skates to get used to obviously but I think I'm going to really like this update!

1 hour ago, Kayen said:

Definitely not. I moved from S190 to X900 and still had issues with toe cap room. 

So have you found a toe cap that has worked for you?

Or anyone else with Shrek feet that can chime in?

1 hour ago, goalie said:

It's called CCM.

I don't have Shrek like feet, but I've never been able to fit into any modern (one90 and later) Bauer toe cap. CCM have had zero issues.

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

It's called CCM.

I don't have Shrek like feet, but I've never been able to fit into any modern (one90 and later) Bauer toe cap. CCM have had zero issues.

I got last years Tacks. they are better, but still giving me problems

2 hours ago, goalie said:

I don't have Shrek feet, but i do have bunions that do not like the Bauer cowlingless design. I'm in a Reebok 16k skate with Bauer cowling. It's better but not perfect, I was previously in a Bauer one100 skate that i had no issues with... 

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

So got my “new” cowlings installed this weekend. The pro shop also shaved down the protruding portion of the cowlings somewhat. Skated in them on Wednesday night and it was a successful outing. 

878F6E54-D07C-407D-BC7C-6334FEE95393.jpeg

Beauts! I miss that boot.  Once I moved to the G50 and Ultra7500, I started getting all kinds of fit issues and foot pain.

Incidentally I was at Whitie Bensen’s in West Haven, CT this week and they have an new old stock Goaler Pro 750 size 10 for $250 in their goalie room. They’ve probably been sitting there forever. If anyone was interested, maybe you could talk them down from that price. 

671BBDF6-CB4C-4E14-9DD9-0CFBB0E1A980.jpeg

4 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Incidentally I was at Whitie Bensen’s in West Haven, CT this week and they have an new old stock Goaler Pro 750 size 10 for $250 in their goalie room. They’ve probably been sitting there forever. If anyone was interested, maybe you could talk them down from that price. 

Did you notice any other new old stock skates?  Bauer 7000s to be exact?  I have a new set that I still have on reserve but they're a 7.5 wide, I prefer 8 regular.

On 6/23/2018 at 3:04 AM, WillyGrips13 said:

I didn’t notice specifically. I had eyes for the Grafs only. All the skates were in their boxes stacked in piles. There were Bauer boxes, not sure what model or size.

Thanks.  I'll google their number and give them a call.  Are they at least selling this old stock gear at discounted prices?  The pro shop at one of the rinks I play at still likes to charge full price for gear sitting around for almost 5 years.

It’s discounted form the original price, but they could probably come down more if they really wanted to move the stuff. I always find it amazing when I see equipment shops holding on to old equipment without heavily discounting it. The Grafs were marked down from $429 to 249 if I remember correctly. Should probably be no higher than $200 for that model. I got my Grafs new from Don Simmons five plus years ago for under $200. 

18 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

It’s discounted form the original price, but they could probably come down more if they really wanted to move the stuff. I always find it amazing when I see equipment shops holding on to old equipment without heavily discounting it. The Grafs were marked down from $429 to 249 if I remember correctly. Should probably be no higher than $200 for that model. I got my Grafs new from Don Simmons five plus years ago for under $200. 

Thanks I am going to give them a call today

On 12/12/2017 at 9:26 AM, TheGoalNet said:

I might be a skeptic, but I’m willing to bet the longer blade argument had a lot to do with requiring less molds. In my opinion, without first hand knowledge, the marketing explanation could be a by product of the production decision. 

They may have viewed it as a win / win at the time, but I think it was bad decision 

anyhow... I have it on pretty good authority that Vaughn had the idea of a no cowling skate and bailed on it. They they thought it would have been too radical at the time. 

I find that fascinating. If they launched the 2 Piece Skate first, would it have been a hit and been disruptive like VH has been? Or did it need to be launched by Bauer for credibility purposes?  

This is pretty much why I didn't go with the new CCM AS1 skates. I tried them on at the MonkeySports store in Dallas and found them more comfortable than the Bauer 2S and <forgot which number>X skates, but I am a smaller fellow with smaller feet (5'7" and wear a size 6.5 skate). Bauer and Graf both make their blades (and cowling) to fit the skate size, but the size 6.5 CCM AS1 had the toe cap of the "attack cowling" at least 1"+ away from the end of the toe on the boot - not flush at all. I really like having a shorter skate blade proportional to the actual boot size, which is why I didn't go with the CCM ones. 

Long story short, my next pair of skates will be TRUE - just trying to decide on the 1-piece (more like my Grafs in feel) or the 2-piece with the Bauer holder and blade (more newfangled, easier replacement).

22 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

No dice on the Bauer 7000s, oh well.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to add a bit of info after my 2hr game on Friday night. To think that cowling-less skates are 100% safe at the toe cap is a misnomer. I'm not saying it's a constant occurrence but, if you throw out a toe save/stretched out pad save like I occasionally do and the puck catches the toe area, it resonates through enough to create a near painful experience, and that was on a simple wrist shot. I can't imagine the damage would it had been a slapper.

If you're a pure b-fly goalie, your chances of it NOT happening is far better than mine.

I like my S29s and play a more butterfly style . I’ve caught one or two shots at the toe and it definitely hurt but it wasn’t unbearable. I’ve also caught some on the side of my boot as one of my teammates on the sidelines thought it would be funny to shoot the puck at my feet while I wasn’t looking, and it definitely hurt but not as much as a toe shot. However it isnt so bad yet to where I have to completely switch companies

Archived