Let's Talk Skates

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TheGoalNet said:

Hills - I love the dialog today, but I think you might be diving a bit deep into my word choice, haha. I love how precisely you read my posts!!! 

When I say develop, "applied to hockey" or "developed a skate around Curv" might be better statements. They started using Curv and/or Alive 10ish years ago. . . It would almost feel like it's time for something new? Do they own any patents from Easton Synergy skates or MLX / Mako that could be utilized to take Curv to the next level . . . 

Easton’s exit from hockey is saddening. I hope that Bauer does not shelf either  the skate or stick tech.

That being said- True reminds me of how Easton got into hockey (as I have mentioned), with even similar origins. 

3 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I’m shocked Scott Van Horne was allowed to start another hockey skate company after MLX so quickly. Seems like Easton should have had a longer non compete 

anyone know the story there?

I am guessing that his tech with speedskates pre-dates MLX by a long way. My old skating coach had a pair of speed skates that were constucted similarly to the VH speed skate and they were built in the late ‘90s.

I hear that Micron is making a comeback and will blow everyone else into oblivion :jelly:

@bunnyman666 I thought you were going to reference Bont cycling shoes which are just gorgeous. Hoping to get some Riots this coming season.

If weight isn't an issue and you want ample toe room and price isn't a problem, True is a good fit. If you want similar at a lower cost, I'm guessing Graf would be good.

If weight is a selling point and your feet don't need special custom attention, then anything else out there on the shelves could answer your needs.

For myself, going from '80s Bauer Supremes to Bauer One80s to now Bauer 700X, my only struggle is adjusting to the difference in height of the skate/runner. Maybe it's just my anatomy or lack of hip flex or my knees getting older, I feel strain in my ankle/knees/hips. I like the attack angle but wouldn't mind a little less height off the ice, especially in b-fly recovery mode.

On skate models...has anyone tried or even played in Graf 1030s? Any feedback?

Regular Step steel gives the Reebok Cowling good attack angle. Even though the standard steel on Reebok is heads and shoulders better than ANY standard Bauer (save for their new black steel), you won’t have the height. Step extreme will give better attack angle than regular Step. 

That's one consideration I almost forgot about. I have regular step steel on them, and finding some discounted step steel extremes for these blades likely won't be an issue either. Tonight will be interesting as I have not used 4mm steel since 2012 - and I've become quite avid on 3mm steel. Weight doesn't bother me too much anyways.

Thanks man! 

I've been in a pair of Bauer One80 for a while and they are slowly falling apart on me. I've always wanted to try a pair of Grafs but never had the chance. By the look of it, I like the fact that they seem not as tall and the blade looks shorter which makes me thing they would be more agile.

Did any of you have gone from Bauer to Graf and what was your experience like?

Picked up a pair of new Graf 750 skates, non-elf toe. I was expecting the suede-ish interior and got black mesh instead which is weird. I haven't decided if I want to get rid of them or not. If I keep them, I might try to do something to shave down the overdrive protrusion on the side of the cowling.

Anyone out there still using or into Graf 750 Goalers?

36 minutes ago, Taco said:

Picked up a pair of new Graf 750 skates, non-elf toe. I was expecting the suede-ish interior and got black mesh instead which is weird. I haven't decided if I want to get rid of them or not. If I keep them, I might try to do something to shave down the overdrive protrusion on the side of the cowling.

Given that they have the new cowling and the mesh interior, I'd guess they were a more recent custom order.

On 06/02/2018 at 4:12 PM, Taco said:

Yep im still in graf 750s but with Original bauer cowling.  Tried newer cowlings, dont like the height.  Checked with Graf Canada.  They will make me a new pair of 750s in Narrow width.  I might go back to them.  Anyone see the new graf cowlingless goal skate?

17 minutes ago, daffy said:

Yep im still in graf 750s but with Original bauer cowling.  Tried newer cowlings, dont like the height.  Checked with Graf Canada.  They will make me a new pair of 750s in Narrow width.  I might go back to them.  Anyone see the new graf cowlingless goal skate?

Unless something is new, that’s just a Graf skate without a cowling. Vaughn / Graf claims the skates have always double thick toe caps relative to competition and they’re sufficient for no cowling (queue the @bunnyman666 cringe)

7D3857BD-2C15-444F-9166-0DD1E919F7AC.jpeg

9 hours ago, Harman said:

Will it be available as replacement cowling !? It is already the same cowling on thr CCM tacks correct?

I believe so. Looks like the same cowling (CCM Prolite Lo Curve) on the CCM Tack Pros, not the 6092 or 4092. I wonder if it's safe to pop one of them on my 16k skates... 

58 minutes ago, Kayen said:

I believe so. Looks like the same cowling (CCM Prolite Lo Curve) on the CCM Tack Pros, not the 6092 or 4092. I wonder if it's safe to pop one of them on my 16k skates... 

I would say no, as it looks to be something for a skate with a reinforced sidewall. 

1 hour ago, Datsyuk92 said:

Anyone got any insight on these beauties? Since they changed the model name I wonder if they're any different from the previous versions

graf-goalie-skates-dm-1050-black-sr.jpg

I've read a few guys thoughts on them in GGSU (for what thats worth...) and they seem to well liked and perform well.  I previously used the Goaler Pros and couldn't adjust to their feel or the shorter blade (coming from Bauers).

The DM1080 and the AS1 Tack really have me intrigued tho!

Archived