Most Ahead of its Time

TheGoalNet

There's tons of gear that was probably way ahead of it's time. Some of it successful and some of it a flop... 

I nominate the Armadilla for the "Way Ahead of it's Time Award". What do you say? 

Reason:

1. First use of composite and Kevlar in a shell 
  2. First Ti Cage
  3. First use of foams for impact absorption (First non Rubatex liner)
  4. Certified cage designed with support from an optometrist for proper bar location placement 
  5. First cage with impact absorbing properties and hardware in mind 
  6. cage recessed into mask
  7. Rubber trim to protect paint 
  8. Sub 2lb mask
  9. No show strapping 
  10. Use of pre-pregnated resins 

Image result for armadilla maskImage result for armadilla mask

Image result for armadilla maskImage result for armadilla mask

Image result for armadilla mask

09F35209-6388-46A7-B75D-B56D65AB23ED.jpeg

I'd nominate the CCM Gatekeeper, Vector & Blockade pads for consideration.

Flat-faced, precurved design which wasn't well received but then later took off as soon as RBK slapped their logo on it. It became revolutionary and a game changer just no one gave a damn because it had CCM on it. Tried to keep it alive with the X-Pulse line but no one was buying it. Also it had the flatter, more triangular outer role which I thought wa a good idea to save a little weight and made more sense than having a large, fat square outer role. If anyone of those came back, I'd definitely buy.

Blockade line for sure.  It was the first flatbfaced, pure butterfly style pad.  Helped me realized I can't use super stiff pads as well. They also had the one piece knee and calf wing.  Not to mention a triangular outer roll

6X6t5nz.jpg.bcd5baf4dcd925b3a74557bd839ced8a.jpg18-3451side.jpg.c755f82b8e7dc40135346eeea3465dbc.jpg

6 hours ago, WizYuan said:

I nominate the Bauer 1S series for the most advanced fragility of goalie equipment in the history of hockey

Photos shamelessly stolen from GGSU

No automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.

So... I’ll be the first person to admit that OD1N durability with the 1S was embarrassing. In my reviews I said don’t buy 1S as a long term solution!

BUT...

I refuse to believe that puck in pad pic is real. Either the kid should have known about the rip and figured out a better solution to cover the hole or it’s staged. That’s just ignorance and piling on. 

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

I refuse to believe that puck in pad pic is real. Either the kid should have known about the rip and figured out a better solution to cover the hole or it’s staged. That’s just ignorance and piling on. 

Let alone the alignment of the puck. Was this guy standing when he took this shot? lol

3 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

I think the answer is "anything and everything Pete Smith designed."

And the dude who invented beer, since without that, there'd be no beer league.  "Mead league" doesn't have the same ring.

Gin League?
Whiskey League?
Dope League? (essentially what beer league is anyways)
Tequila League?

1 hour ago, Murray said:

A Gin League sounds classy and fun up until the point that it's absolutely not.

And then it's a piney mess.

Nah, it would just be empty arenas as everyone is currently serving fighting suspensions

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

I would belong to a Malt Liquor league, myself!

Cider league would be cool...

Only allowed if everyone did the ol' Edward 40 hands.

4 minutes ago, Fullright said:

I'd nominate Dave Dryden because he was the first to conceive the idea of a cage on a mask, the forerunner of all the buckets everyone wears now. 

I can’t remember who it was, but the story I heard was that a Cooper sales rep was instrumental. That is a cut-down HM-30.

7 minutes ago, Snowman30 said:

Brian Heaton, most.of his equipment was way ahead of the time.

Disagree. I think he was definitely a pioneer in the industry. But to say his gear was ahead of the times? I didn't/don't see that so I don't think so, respectfully.

13 hours ago, WizYuan said:

I nominate the Bauer 1S series for the most advanced fragility of goalie equipment in the history of hockey

Photos shamelessly stolen from GGSU

That is not the first time I see puck went through the boot break. That should not happen. Before it was a fun thing and you put some ugly patch over it. Now you share a photo in Internet. And that is not the first or the last broken stick. 1S is one of the most durable sticks in the market.

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I can’t remember who it was, but the story I heard was that a Cooper sales rep was instrumental. That is a cut-down HM-30.

I’ve heard similar. It was designed as a broomball cage. Roy’s OG Lefebvre mask was shipped with a cheater and the Habs EQM didn’t like it. Got an HM30 on there and the rest history 

Archived