Warrior to the NHL

ThatCarGuy

I've heard a lot of rumors that Warrior will be breaking into the NHL goalie equipment market this year so I wanted to make this thread to track recent progress. 

I think Warrior is still in the process of trying to find someone who will use their gear that way they can market someone right off the bat. Unfortunately they don't have established reps like True and Lefevre did when the split happened so it appears they're trying to get whoever they can. Some of the names I've heard as potential candidates have been Markstrom, Delia, Mrazek, and Demko. That said I've only seen evidence of Delia and Mrazek. 

In the 2021 off season Delia had a pair of G5 glove and blocker

Screenshot_20230821_161721_Instagram.thumb.jpg.c87dc22432fdd71b80c7c59369f345ce.jpg

Guess he didn't like them since he didn't use them the next season or warrior wanted him to use the full set and he couldn't leave his very custom Brian's pads. 

Mrazek also had a set sent to him and used it for what looks like one skate. Signed by Kay and all. 

FB_IMG_1692625510530.thumb.jpg.d18385f5192d04b005a91eae63ddcf0b.jpg

FB_IMG_1692625517471.thumb.jpg.53a5382a33b395517840ddda8c7f0edc.jpg

The set was sold in February this year but since it's leaf's colors it was probably sent to him early into the 2022 off season only to be traded to Chicago in July. 

If you've heard any other rumors or better yet confirmations feel free to add

Edited by ThatCarGuy
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I think Warrior is still in the process of trying to find someone who will use their gear that way they can market someone right off the bat. Unfortunately they don't have established reps like True and Lefevre did when the split happened so it appears they're trying to get whoever they can. Some of the names I've heard as potential candidates have been Markstrom, Delia, Mrazek, and Demko. That said I've only seen evidence of Delia and Mrazek. 

It's not like Kirk Allen is unfamiliar with a lot of these guys already considering the stranglehold that Warrior sticks have in the NHL on both Player and especially Goalies. 

Even in the Euro leagues where Warrior has a presence in the pad department, it feels like most guys who are wearing them are due to sponsorship. (evident by the head to toe Warrior gear). A lot of those guys switch out once they're traded. Usually going to True/Bauer. 

There's one Euro goalie who's in Bauer pads and blocker, but still using a Warrior glove. I can't remember his name, but I like his style. 

8 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

There's one Euro goalie who's in Bauer pads and blocker, but still using a Warrior glove. I can't remember his name, but I like his style. 

There is, or was, one Euro goalie who played in team sponsored Warriors and when his team contracted to Bauer he had his new Bauer gear opened up and Warrior guts build in. 😆

Not much for the topic though but good topic anyways, hopefully we get updates and pictures.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

It's not like Kirk Allen is unfamiliar with a lot of these guys already considering the stranglehold that Warrior sticks have in the NHL on both Player and especially Goalies. 

Even in the Euro leagues where Warrior has a presence in the pad department, it feels like most guys who are wearing them are due to sponsorship. (evident by the head to toe Warrior gear). A lot of those guys switch out once they're traded. Usually going to True/Bauer. 

The most common complaint of seen for warrior gear is its simply too different from everything else on the market. The pads and especially the gloves don't really have a direct competitor as far as design and feel goes. 

4 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

The most common complaint of seen for warrior gear is its simply too different from everything else on the market. The pads and especially the gloves don't really have a direct competitor as far as design and feel goes. 

Which should be a strength to their brand, but, I can see why people wouldn't like a massive change up. 

3 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Who was the last goalie in the NHL to use Warrior gear?  How many years did they pay fees for gear other than sticks?

Jonas Gustavsson for Detroit, around 2014-15 if I'm not mistaken. He wore the original Ritual series and then G2's. There were a few other guys around that time also.

• Like 2

IIRC there was a sample set made for Darling as well floating around social media goalie gear groups

Also, there was an InGoal mag article that references how much work it was to get Roloson's gear right when he was a Warrior athlete, but it's since been deleted
(https://ingoalmag.com/news/ingoal-insider-a-closer-look-at-dwayne-rolosons-pads/)

Here's the link that proves it existed at one point
https://modsquadhockey.com/forums/topic/57339-rolosons-warrior-pads-from-ingoal-magazine/

Well, if their slight increase in prices is not an indication, we should find out soon during the season, or at least camps. If anything, it most likely will be pads and gloves. They'll have to downsize on the c/a and pants before it can be accepted.

Pogge wore some Warrior but only in Europe I think.

5 hours ago, RichMan said:

Well, if their slight increase in prices is not an indication, we should find out soon during the season, or at least camps. If anything, it most likely will be pads and gloves. They'll have to downsize on the c/a and pants before it can be accepted.

Pogge wore some Warrior but only in Europe I think.

The first guy to come to mind for warrior lately has been Jeremy Smith in the KHL. Wore vaughn his whole career and even though Red Star isn't a Warrior sponsored team he's got everything except pants. 

I would absolutely love to see an nhl spec c/a with warrior design. I think the mobility would be unmatched and protection would be equal if not better than the ccm pro spec unit. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

The first guy to come to mind for warrior lately has been Jeremy Smith in the KHL. Wore vaughn his whole career and even though Red Star isn't a Warrior sponsored team he's got everything except pants. 

I would absolutely love to see an nhl spec c/a with warrior design. I think the mobility would be unmatched and protection would be equal if not better than the ccm pro spec unit. 

Are the warrior units pretty protective? For some reason i always have hesitancy to go with an off the shelf senior C/A, idk why. I've only used simmons and passau C/A and they have been protective enough for what i need, even though last game i took two hard shot to the same spot back to back and got a bruise on my shoulder through the passau pro pack. I've tried on the Vaughn and loved the mobility but keep reading issues with the bicep/forearm area protection and hate the idea of spending good chunk of money on a C/A that you need to mod to make it protective enough. I wish TGC brought back their "spec" that had beefed up areas that are notorious for thin padding. Customizing a Bauer for $700 bucks is a slap in the face already spending $500+ on a C/A is tough.

1 hour ago, xmikex32 said:

Are the warrior units pretty protective? For some reason i always have hesitancy to go with an off the shelf senior C/A, idk why. I've only used simmons and passau C/A and they have been protective enough for what i need, even though last game i took two hard shot to the same spot back to back and got a bruise on my shoulder through the passau pro pack. I've tried on the Vaughn and loved the mobility but keep reading issues with the bicep/forearm area protection and hate the idea of spending good chunk of money on a C/A that you need to mod to make it protective enough. I wish TGC brought back their "spec" that had beefed up areas that are notorious for thin padding. Customizing a Bauer for $700 bucks is a slap in the face already spending $500+ on a C/A is tough.

Very. 

My RX3 Pro is more protective than my Hyperlite. Keep in mind, Warrior doesn't do any "Pro Beef up" options on their C/A's. Their Pro retail units are actually designed for Pro level play. 

My last Warrior C/A was the R/GT Pro and that was a far more traditional feeling C/A than what Warrior typically puts out. The arms on my RX3 Pro are very large (smaller than RX3 Pro +) and have a very unique design and feel. 

So very Warrior like. Unique design, super protective, incredibly useable right away. 

8 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Just did a quick measurement of the arms on my Hyperlite vs RX3 Pro. 

Hyperlite was 6" across at the elbow floaters, Warrior was 6.5". I have a feeling the Pro+ arms would probably be pushing that 7" measurement because those things are fucking massive. 

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Just did a quick measurement of the arms on my Hyperlite vs RX3 Pro. 

Hyperlite was 6" across at the elbow floaters, Warrior was 6.5". I have a feeling the Pro+ arms would probably be pushing that 7" measurement because those things are fucking massive. 

Are they? Here's my X3 Pro+

IMG-20230807-WA0003.thumb.jpg.728696f51e8be21077274913f9fec012.jpg

This unit has since been disassembled but just for reference here it is

68114D6A-4DB2-4EA1-B7A9-11EDA558B30A.thumb.jpeg.fc9d8d1066a66cf210c46b19cef5e5dd.jpeg

On 8/21/2023 at 6:52 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Almost all Euro Pro goalies wear the brand of their team sponsor. If they change a team , they must change a brand. Of course the are different kind of deals, some team might have deal with one brand but special goalie deal with alternative brand. Sometimes you see goalie with no logos gear but basically that means he is an ex NHL- goalie and has special contract. CCM and Bauer are big in Scandinavia and Warrior has solid market share in Germany/Central Europe. Russia is different because goalie purchases gear what he wants and nowadays what he can get. 

Of course Warrior hopes that some of their Euro goalies would sign to NHL but that hasn't happened. Scott Clemmensen, Roloson and Gustavsson wore G1's. Tim Thomas used G2's 10 years ago. So hopefully Warrior would be back in NHL. Warrior has made goalie gears maybe 13-14 years so these young NHL- goalies/prospects are the first generation who might started their career wearing Warrior gear.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Korppi32 said:

Almost all Euro Pro goalies wear the brand of their team sponsor. If they change a team , they must change a brand. Of course the are different kind of deals, some team might have deal with one brand but special goalie deal with alternative brand. Sometimes you see goalie with no logos gear but basically that means he is an ex NHL- goalie and has special contract. CCM and Bauer are big in Scandinavia and Warrior has solid market share in Germany/Central Europe. Russia is different because goalie purchases gear what he wants and nowadays what he can get. 

Of course Warrior hopes that some of their Euro goalies would sign to NHL but that hasn't happened. Scott Clemmensen, Roloson and Gustavsson wore G1's. Tim Thomas used G2's 10 years ago. So hopefully Warrior would be back in NHL. Warrior has made goalie gears maybe 13-14 years so these young NHL- goalies/prospects are the first generation who might started their career wearing Warrior gear.

There have been a couple guys recently to sign AHL contracts while wearing warrior gear but for one reason or another switching out of it halfway through the season. 

You're absolutely correct though the Euro leagues and teams are very very strict on what you can and can't wear. Our professional affiliate here in Sweden forced their goalie to stop using his bauer mach set and chest protector after just one practice and instead use EFlex 6. 3 days later he played a game in that set with a glove that looked barely broken in. They won but he didn't look comfortable at all. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 10:16 AM, xmikex32 said:

Warrior was IMO the first and only company that put out senior level, not pro, gear that was more than adequate in protection. I'm not saying it would hold up to NHL/AHL/ECHL or D1/Major Junior but, if you look at what Martin Brodeur wore for the longest time before switching to the Vaughn c/a (if he ever really wore it outside the promo pics), the difference is staggering. 

Warrior is on a whole other level...on their own...almost untouchable really. Now if only they DID come out with a legal pro-spec c/a, I'd be all over their non pro senior unit. 

Edited by RichMan
  • Like 1

Judging by how few changes G7 has I'm fully expecting this to be the year they jump back in. G7 looks like the most effort warrior has ever put into a graphic (since they were designed by pete smith) to make their equipment visually appealing.

All they need now is the right guy to debut their gear. The only person that potentially comes to mind is Toronto Matt Murray. He's a pretty big name, hasn't been playing all that great so he may be looking for a change, and he's not fully committed to another brand.

More than likely they'll have to do what sherwood did with bedard and simply buy someone.

Edited by ThatCarGuy

On 8/27/2023 at 3:04 AM, ThatCarGuy said:

Judging by how few changes G7 has I'm fully expecting this to be the year they jump back in. G7 looks like the most effort warrior has ever put into a graphic (since they were designed by pete smith) to make their equipment visually appealing.

All they need now is the right guy to debut their gear. The only person that potentially comes to mind is Toronto Matt Murray. He's a pretty big name, hasn't been playing all that great so he may be looking for a change, and he's not fully committed to another brand.

More than likely they'll have to do what sherwood did with bedard and simply buy someone.

Is Smith still involved?

Warrior has stick deals in the NHL. It's one of the reasons so many Vaughn, True, Brian's goalies use their sticks. I would expect a Warrior stick user to make sense as Warrior already has an in with the client and the agent?

Something like Mrazek or Delia previously mentioned makes sense? Murray on LTIR and a Bauer stick guy does not make sense? Raanta is in a gear changing mode, a Warrior stick guy, and maybe could be a target?

30 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Is Smith still involved?

Warrior has stick deals in the NHL. It's one of the reasons so many Vaughn, True, Brian's goalies use their sticks. I would expect a Warrior stick user to make sense as Warrior already has an in with the client and the agent?

Something like Mrazek or Delia previously mentioned makes sense? Murray on LTIR and a Bauer stick guy does not make sense? Raanta is in a gear changing mode, a Warrior stick guy, and maybe could be a target?

R/G6 still says "by Smith" on it and from what I've heard he has more say on the line than ever.

Wasn't aware Warrior had guys under stick contracts.

Very good point though Raanta is a terrific target. Especially as an anchor tee user with Brian's he would adore the tee on a Warrior glove.