Protechsport Mask Thread

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

It was a lust buy for me as well at the time.  Since getting Harrison shell Protechsport I've used it more than my Pro's Choice lol.  There are a few factors for that reason though, its not only because I like it better.

Well you can’t say that and then not elaborate lol

32 minutes ago, Vanniek71 said:

Well you can’t say that and then not elaborate lol

Sorry I was in a rush to publish the post as I was about to go on break(work).  Both masks have their positives.  I prefer the fit of the Pro's Choice.  Its ever so slightly more snug to my face.  The padding is way better in the PC as well.  While the shape of the shell is pretty close, there are some subtle differences that I see, I do prefer the look of the Protechsport.  The Harrison shape is my all time favorite mask shape.  

The two biggest reasons I wear the PS more often than the PC are because

1. I have never gotten any ringing when I take a puck to the head in the PS.  Just a nice thud.  I get ringing in the PC.  I think it is because the PS is full Kevlar and the PC is Kevlar reinforced fiberglass or whatever Dom uses.  
  2. The PS is custom wrapped to my main beer league team.  I only wear it for that team.  I wear the PC for everything else.  It just happen that aside from my main team I wasn't getting any extra ice as often as I used to.  I just recently got involved with another team in which I will be exclusively wearing the PC mask.
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2021 at 5:40 PM, Vanniek71 said:

His site says 35 weeks currently. He said the timer starts when he gets the mold or payment, whichever gets there first. I’ve got a pretty new Shark 954 so not in a hurry. This was purely a lust and impulse buy, but I’m sure this will become my main mask once I have it.

My plaster wraps come tomorrow :)

I think I will ask for a sling as well. May as well try it out.

So If I'm buying just one, should I go with the Shark 954, or the Potvin Mold PS? 

Also, what are the price differences? 

And can someone explain the strap choices?  I want a chin sling, but I mean the back hidden/vs no hidden?  I have an Eddy - Harrison replica and I just want the same thing.  What do I ask for?  

It'd be nice to get the cage already in White if that's an option for either maker as well.

Side Note: I've been told that wrapping doesn't need clear coating.  I dont get that...I see wrapped cars that have damage to the wrap and they dont seem to hold up.  I cant see how puck marks and skate dings wont tear or scuff or peel up edges on a wrap.  What am I missing?  My mask below was rattle can painted and then rattle can clear coated.  

Potvin Mask.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Cool Runnings said:

So If I'm buying just one, should I go with the Shark 954, or the Potvin Mold PS? 

And can someone explain the strap choices?  I want a chin sling, but I mean the back hidden/vs no hidden?  I have an Eddy - Harrison replica and I just want the same thing.  What do I ask for?  

It'd be nice to get the cage already in White if that's an option for either maker as well.

Side Note: I've been told that wrapping doesn't need clear coating.  I dont get that...I see wrapped cars that have damage to the wrap and they dont seem to hold up.  I cant see how puck marks and skate dings wont tear or scuff or peel up edges on a wrap.  What am I missing?  My mask below was rattle can painted and then rattle can clear coated.  

Potvin Mask.jpg

I've never used a Shark so I can't compare the two. I will say that Michel is very easy to work with and his product is great. There's no price differences AFAIK for different molds, only for material type (fiberglass, fiberglass/kevlar combo, or full kevlar).

Hidden backplate straps just allow more of your backplate to show, so another area for artwork. It's just personal preference. I've attached a photo of my PS here with hidden straps for reference.

I've heard of other goalies getting their wrap clear coated. I personally didn't on mine and it's held up great thus far (JF Aumais did it, I had Michel ship my mask to him once it was complete. Super easy!).

20190205_163527-COLLAGE.jpg

• Like 1

I guess that depends. New Image is a good mask, but the fit of the cage isn't as nice as id like, and the vision out of mine was restricted a bit so I had to modify it. I traded in an old mask so got $150 off the mask price so went with a Shark at the time. Again good mask. PS has been in the NHL and on pros heads for years and Micehl is a master at what he does. Financially I can buy another mask, and I have the time to wait for it. That's all up to you though. Do you have time? The price for a custom mask from PS is outstanding for what you get (Thanks exchange rate!)

If you are meaning between the Shark and the PS.... contact them and get a quote, it could be different. For example I traded in an old mask when I got my Shark so I paid less in cash for the mask.

Motown goalie posted a perfect pic of hidden strap backplate. It just uses a minimalist approach to the strapping, and I prefer that look. Fit and function feel about the same to me, but some prefer the full strapping on the backplate. 

I think they both can get you a white cage. I may at some point go with a white cage as well, but the last one I had the powdercoat was terrible and was chipping and falling off, so switched to the stainless look

Side Note: I've been told that wrapping doesn't need clear coating.

I didn't have my wrap cleared, but I also did a DIY one and plan on changing it up. Not sure on the pros and cons of clear coating over a wrap

1 hour ago, Cool Runnings said:

1 - So If I'm buying just one, should I go with the Shark 954, or the Potvin Mold PS? 

2 - Also, what are the price differences? 

3 - And can someone explain the strap choices?  I want a chin sling, but I mean the back hidden/vs no hidden?  I have an Eddy - Harrison replica and I just want the same thing.  What do I ask for?  

4 - It'd be nice to get the cage already in White if that's an option for either maker as well.

5 - Side Note: I've been told that wrapping doesn't need clear coating.  I dont get that...I see wrapped cars that have damage to the wrap and they dont seem to hold up.  I cant see how puck marks and skate dings wont tear or scuff or peel up edges on a wrap.  What am I missing?  My mask below was rattle can painted and then rattle can clear coated.  

1. Depends if you need a mask now or if you can wait.  If you can wait, the PS is worth the wait.  It's a fantastic mask.  If you cannot wait and you need a mask right now then go with the Shark.  Ray is a master craftsman as well.  I don't have any personal experience with a Shark mask but they look solid.
  2. I am unaware of the prices for Shark.  As noted above, Protechsport has 3 price levels.  Everything is on their webpage.  I would assume Shark's is as well.
  3. Explained above.
  4. Michel has several cage colors you can choose from at no extra cost.
  5. You do not need to have a wrap clear coated.  My wrap is done by one or the more popular guys in the US, SkinFX, and he says it is unnecessary.  Mine has held up wonderfully.

4 minutes ago, Cool Runnings said:

So Maybe I emailed the wrong manufacturer...but I got a quote for that Potvin/Harrison custom mold from PS and it wasn't even in the same ballpark as the Shark.  To the tune of +$1,700 more than the Shark.  Did I miss something?  Seems like I have my decision made I guess.  

Who did you contact? And where are you located? Sounds like you emailed Pro's Choice and not Michel at Protechsport

Edited by Vanniek71

4 hours ago, Cool Runnings said:

So Maybe I emailed the wrong manufacturer...but I got a quote for that Potvin/Harrison custom mold from PS and it wasn't even in the same ballpark as the Shark.  To the tune of +$1,700 more than the Shark.  Did I miss something?  Seems like I have my decision made I guess.  

That's for an actual mask made by Harrison to your specs I believe. The Protechsport is not that.

My currently 8 year old mask is a Thibault model Protechsport that doesn't fit me as well anymore (thanks to a healthier and more active lifestyle over the last few years) and the mask is nearing it's end of life. So I placed an order for a new one at the end of the summer and I just received my new mask yesterday, almost 7 months to the day from when I placed my order. That was about 8 weeks quicker than Michel had originally estimated which was an awesome surprise.

It's a full Kevlar Lalime mold with a Roy cage and cage clips on the side. I also ordered a spare cage and a spare set of replacement padding so that I'm prepared to do a bit of a refurbishment of everything in a couple of years.

The fit is great as expected and working with Michel is always such a pleasure. I just need to finalize the design that I want to put on it.

Protechsport-Lalime-01.JPG

Protechsport-Lalime-02.JPG

Protechsport-Lalime-03.JPG

Protechsport-Lalime-06.JPG

• Like 4

Just received my Protechsport from Michel yesterday, bit of a long wait as I ordered and paid on 26 April last year but my mold only arrived with him 4th June. Thankfully I've had no hockey going on so it has made no real difference. Overall I am extremely happy with the result. I mean, it's a Michel Doganieri mask after all! 

1.jpg

I went for full kevlar and the Theodore mold, which as his website says is the same as the Lalime, Jiggy, Denis, Thibault, Garon, Luongo, Fichaud, Aebischer and Brochu. I've noticed some confusion about this, but I'd put any variances down to adjusting the mold to the individual head mold.

Rubatex foam and chin sling. I also asked for Lefebrvre style cage clips and foam, which he hasn't done unfortunately. Reading back our emails I possibly wasn't clear enough about that, and I'll get him to send me some clips. The stock rubatex design is simpler anyway, so will be easier to replace.

Unfortunately I had a huge problem with the painter (which Michel was pissed off about too). Basically the guy didn't get in touch despite me repeatedly asking him to in order to discuss my design. Never discussed the design with me, just cracked on and didn't listen. Only got in touch when he was in the middle of the job, and still didn't do specific things I asked for. I rejected the work because it was nothing like what I asked for, and it was really poor quality. It went back to Michel and he put it back to white for me for free. He was very sympathetic about this and angry at the painter. Unfortunately I still need to pay something for the crap work as the painter charged Michel to get the mask back, and of course I don't want him to be out of pocket even though he's told me it's up to me whether I pay for it.

So overall a bit of a mixed experience. Really good communication from Michel, but let down by some details missing and the experience with the painter (which wasn't Michel's fault at all).

For the price and the quality I would definitely order from him again though.

Edited by redrook
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, redrook said:

Just received my Protechsport from Michel yesterday, ordered and paid on 26 April last year but my mold only arrived with him 4th June. Thankfully I've had no hockey going on so it has made no real difference. Overall I am extremely happy with the result. I mean, it's a Michel Doganieri mask after all! 

1.jpg

I went for full kevlar and the Theodore mold, which as his website says is the same as the Lalime, Jiggy, Denis, Thibault, Garon, Luongo, Fichaud, Aebischer and Brochu. I've noticed some confusion about this on here. I'd put any variances down to adjusting the mold to the individual head mold.

Rubatex foam and chin sling. I also asked for Lefebrvre style cage clips and foam, which he hasn't done unfortunately.

I also had a huge problem with the painter (which Michel was pissed off about too). Basically the guy didn't get in touch despite me repeatedly asking him to in order to discuss my design. Never discussed the design with me, just cracked on and didn't listen. Only got in touch when he was in the middle of the job, and still didn't do specific things I asked for. I rejected the work because it was nothing like what I asked for, and it was really poor quality. It went back to Michel and he put it back to white for me for free. He was very sympathetic about this and angry at the painter. Unfortunately I still need to pay something for the crap work as the painter charged Michel to get the mask back, and of course I will pay Michel.

So overall a bit of a mixed experience. Really good communication from Michel, but let down by some details missing and the experience with the painter (which wasn't Michel's fault at all).

For the price and the quality I would definitely order from him again though.

Nice looking mask! Sucks about the painter though :(

• Like 1