Injuries of the trade

Lucky Pucker

I’m not sure what this thread will be exactly, but in part I just want to vent about how pissed off, depressed, and aggravated I am with my grade 1 MCL sprain/minor tear. I mean, I just started playing goalie in March, was taking weekly lessons, and already managed to get regular gigs with a few pickup games. It was starting to come together! Then that feckin “pop” happened... 

Part of my self-inflicted misery therapy was to look up “MCL” and “goalie,” and several interesting threads from the old GSBB came up. Couldn’t find any here though, so would there be any interest? Any thoughts from those of you who came over...? And it doesn’t have to be MCL- frankly, as I have no medical training, you could probably make up a condition and I’d believe it was legit - lol!

Misery loves company, right?

My IR sheet:

-Groin pull in January 2009

-Groin pull in October 2010 

-Groin pull in November 2010 [AKA RIP junior career]

-Hamstring strain/lower back issues in June 2013 [due to malnutrition from a prolonged stomach virus of sorts]

-Groin pull in July 2017

-Groin pull in August 2017

I've been battling tight hips for a while, and have never felt the same since 2013. I felt amazing for a while in 2012 and early 2013. I do a lot of standing at my job, and don't do the upkeep I should given my history. Lately I've had these weird, achy hips last two months. One side feels "burny" when I stretch it too much. Between that and the emptiness I feel when playing the last year and a quarter I've been in constant debate to hang up the pads. Feels like a chore sometimes, and yet I do it still. That and captaining a team is a pain in the ass.

Edited by Moose75

• Injuries from specific events
    • Left knee ACL reconstruction
    • Meniscectomy in both knees (largely from multiple radial tears)
    •  5 Concussions
  • Genetic Predisposition/Overworked Hip Joint
    • Femoroacetabular Impingement... just had surgery on 5/10... at best 4-6 months before seeing the ice again

Generally just pop some ibuprofen the next morning. Is what it is. 

Edited by BadAngle41

Bad grade 2 MCL tear.  Was off the ice for about 3 months, came back and tore some scar tissue, was off another 5 weeks or so.

A year later, popped the other MCL.  That one healed pretty quickly.  I do a lot of leg work to help protect my knees now.

Torn hamstring (grade 2).  that hurt like a bitch.  12 week recovery.

Other than that, lots of minor injuries.  it's part of the game.

2 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

Bad grade 2 MCL tear.  Was off the ice for about 3 months, came back and tore some scar tissue, was off another 5 weeks or so.

A year later, popped the other MCL.  That one healed pretty quickly.  I do a lot of leg work to help protect my knees now.

Torn hamstring (grade 2).  that hurt like a bitch.  12 week recovery.

Other than that, lots of minor injuries.  it's part of the game.

Ugh... torn hammy. I fear that and tearing my achilles. 

12 minutes ago, MTH said:

Word.

I like eating. Little knee pain goes away with something good to eat.

Haha you're not wrong. 

5 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

My IR sheet:

-Groin pull in January 2009

-Groin pull in October 2010 

-Groin pull in November 2010 [AKA RIP junior career]

-Hamstring strain/lower back issues in June 2013 [due to malnutrition from a prolonged stomach virus of sorts]

-Groin pull in July 2017

-Groin pull in August 2017

I've been battling tight hips for a while, and have never felt the same since 2013. I felt amazing for a while in 2012 and early 2013. I do a lot of standing at my job, and don't do the upkeep I should given my history. Lately I've had these weird, achy hips last two months. One side feels "burny" when I stretch it too much. Between that and the emptiness I feel when playing the last year and a quarter I've been in constant debate to hang up the pads. Feels like a chore sometimes, and yet I do it still. That and captaining a team is a pain in the ass.

I have a brutal time with my hips. If I lay on my back, put my feet apart and try to touch my knees together, it actually hurts. I think its because for literally decades I've sat on chairs with my knees apart and feet together. In fact I'm doing it right now. The things you never notice... 

4 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I have a brutal time with my hips. If I lay on my back, put my feet apart and try to touch my knees together, it actually hurts. I think its because for literally decades I've sat on chairs with my knees apart and feet together. In fact I'm doing it right now. The things you never notice... 

So hip post surgery I pretty much can't be in any position for longer than 2 hours... shouldn't sit "normally" in a chair for more than 30 minutes... so I picked up a standing desk. It's only been a week with it so far... but I really like it. Might be worth looking into. 

11 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

So hip post surgery I pretty much can't be in any position for longer than 2 hours... shouldn't sit "normally" in a chair for more than 30 minutes... so I picked up a standing desk. It's only been a week with it so far... but I really like it. Might be worth looking into. 

Yeah, I need to do that. Problem is I work in a cube that the desk is built into. The best option would probably be to get one of those stands you can put on your desk, like these:

image.thumb.png.cab37896e6f84aac6c69d183ac39ad56.png

Knee scoped 5 times with various things taken out and trimmed each time.  Most recent was this past April with the MicroFracturing done.
Each time they have gone in, they have seen much old damage to ligaments, but not much they can do unless I freshly injure it.  And in the words of one of my surgeons "Glenn, the back side of your kneecaps are a fucking mess"

Cracked jaw on several occasions from the old CCM Helmet and Cage, and from Cooper HM50 cage
Forehead split open needing stitches from pressure cuts of head shots 6 times.
Have been knocked out cold 10+ times that I know of, numerous Concussions as a result (I never used to duck, used to just let the puck hit me in the head)
Partially torn hamstring.
Have broken every finger, some numerous times.
The attached photo was when the cage of my VanVelden mask collapsed from a shot.  That eye still does not open all the way, and that was back in 1994!

Eye.jpg

• Thanks 1

Clearly I’m in no danger of winning “goalie injury bingo” with this crowd of battered and bruised belligerent backstoppers! 

Did the hammy tear last summer playing (my last game of) soccer, and yes it does suck. Because I never saw anyone or got it fixed, I think it may have led to the current MCL left knee issue(s). Meh.

Edited by Lucky Pucker

7 years in net,

2 groin pulls, 1 was pretty bad (Going with a SO to the 3rd but lost in a shootout) the other not so much.

In January I had a freak accident, I was on the butterfly when a player landed on me and I hyper extended my knee, I heard so much noise I thought I broke something.  It was the worse experience of my life! I probably tore my mcl/acl, I'm not a doctor but something was affected for sure.  I was off the ice for a month, I went for a skate and still had some discomfort with certain movements like extending my leg.  I got back on the ice for a game after a month and a half but I felt a little scared just because of my knee....it wasn't easy but I did it.  Over 4 months now and I'd say that I'm 95%.  I didn't end up going to the doctor because I was healing but slowly.

Stretch before your games, at least 10 minutes I do every game, it will prevent some injures.  

On 5/22/2018 at 3:51 PM, Naz said:

Knee scoped 5 times with various things taken out and trimmed each time.  Most recent was this past April with the MicroFracturing done.
Each time they have gone in, they have seen much old damage to ligaments, but not much they can do unless I freshly injure it.  And in the words of one of my surgeons "Glenn, the back side of your kneecaps are a fucking mess"

Cracked jaw on several occasions from the old CCM Helmet and Cage, and from Cooper HM50 cage
Forehead split open needing stitches from pressure cuts of head shots 6 times.
Have been knocked out cold 10+ times that I know of, numerous Concussions as a result (I never used to duck, used to just let the puck hit me in the head)
Partially torn hamstring.
Have broken every finger, some numerous times.
The attached photo was when the cage of my VanVelden mask collapsed from a shot.  That eye still does not open all the way, and that was back in 1994!
Eye.jpg

FFS dude... I want to give you a reaction, but it’s somewhere between thanks, confused and sad...?

tell me which one you prefer and it’s yours (assuming you can see well enough to read this ... lol!)

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Yeah, I need to do that. Problem is I work in a cube that the desk is built into. The best option would probably be to get one of those stands you can put on your desk, like these:

image.thumb.png.cab37896e6f84aac6c69d183ac39ad56.png

That's exactly what I have... just threw it on my desk. I work from home more often than not and it's been great. I lower it down when i want to come as close as i can to actually sitting... raise it back up for standing.

Knock on wood- four years of tending, and nothing was an injury that resulted in lost time from net. I have been away due to my Ulcerative Colitis. I have had some crazy things happen such as my toe incident with cowling-free skates, my collar bone incident, and slight pulls, but nothing that resulted in time off. I know it is a WHEN rather than an IF. 

27 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

FFS dude... I want to give you a reaction, but it’s somewhere between thanks, confused and sad...?

tell me which one you prefer and it’s yours (assuming you can see well enough to read this ... lol!)

Haha, I'll take the thanks, just so I get a trophy!!

Not listed in there was my Heart Attack in 2014 at age 43 LOL

32 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

7 years in net,

2 groin pulls, 1 was pretty bad (Going with a SO to the 3rd but lost in a shootout) the other not so much.

In January I had a freak accident, I was on the butterfly when a player landed on me and I hyper extended my knee, I heard so much noise I thought I broke something.  It was the worse experience of my life! I probably tore my mcl/acl, I'm not a doctor but something was affected for sure.  I was off the ice for a month, I went for a skate and still had some discomfort with certain movements like extending my leg.  I got back on the ice for a game after a month and a half but I felt a little scared just because of my knee....it wasn't easy but I did it.  Over 4 months now and I'd say that I'm 95%.  I didn't end up going to the doctor because I was healing but slowly.

Stretch before your games, at least 10 minutes I do every game, it will prevent some injures.  

Had that exact thing happen to me, although it was the old school butterfly... was during practice and during power-play practice.  A guy who actually made the NHL later, (Jim McKenzie) fell on me... my feet did not release forward and I went sideways... my hip getting WAY too close for comfort to my ankle.  I was 17 at the time, and so began my lifetime of knee pain.

1 minute ago, Lucky Pucker said:

So ... I have to ask: all totally worth it, right...(?!?!)

Totally.
I love being on the ice, and can't wait to get back on.  This may sound weird, but I LOVE the feel of the puck hitting me.  I remember thinking that exact thing during a practice back when I was 17 as well.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Naz said:

Had that exact thing happen to me, although it was the old school butterfly... was during practice and during power-play practice.  A guy who actually made the NHL later, (Jim McKenzie) fell on me... my feet did not release forward and I went sideways... my hip getting WAY too close for comfort to my ankle.  I was 17 at the time, and so began my lifetime of knee pain.

It's the worst feeling ever! I think that some how luckily I came out alright in the end and I'm 36, pretty active.  Sorry for your knee pain though!