Jump to content
Tim_TRUEHockey

TRUE Goalie Skates - 1 Piece vs. 2 Piece

Recommended Posts

1 Piece vs. 2 Piece
TRUE by VH Goalie Skates
 
One of the most common questions we receive is “what are the differences between the 1 piece and 2 piece goalie skates?”  Both skates are pro-level and custom made to the measurements of the client’s foot. And both are built with our patented carbon fiber, monocoque design giving more direct power transfers.  In terms of differences:
 
1 Piece:
·       Design results in zero loss of energy when moving
·       Neutral pitch
·       Lower attack angle
 
2 Piece:
·       Slightly lighter
·       Slight forward pitch
·       Taller attack profile
 
It also bears mentioning that the 2 Piece is typically cheaper than the 1 Piece (check your local fit center for exact pricing).  Check out TRUE-Hockey.com for more details and feel free to reach out to me directly with questions.
 
Tim McCarthy
Tim.McCarthy@TrueTemper.com
 

2 Piece True Goalie Skate.jpg

1 Piece True Goalie Skate.jpg

Edited by Tim_TRUEHockey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks @Tim_TRUEHockey !!! 

I have some questions I have always wondered 

It appears the 1 piece is more popular within the NHL, any opinion why?

Does 1 style of skate favor a particular style of play or skill set better? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as I can still get the boot without a  holder, I will repeat buy; however- a shot nearly broke my foot when I was cowling-free. Great boot, fits wonderfully; but cowling-free is NOT for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

As long as I can still get the boot without a  holder, I will repeat buy; however- a shot nearly broke my foot when I was cowling-free. Great boot, fits wonderfully; but cowling-free is NOT for me.

Very sorry, and surprised, to hear that given how many NHLs have worn the 1 piece w/o issue.  Please shoot me a message or email so we can discuss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tim_TRUEHockey said:

Very sorry, and surprised, to hear that given how many NHLs have worn the 1 piece w/o issue.  Please shoot me a message or email so we can discuss.

In fairness to @bunnyman666 - I'm guessing he might end up in a position or two that the NHL guys don't and/or the engineers didn't consider when designing the skates :giggle:

Sorry, I dont often pass with an empty net 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

In fairness to @bunnyman666 - I'm guessing he might end up in a position or two that the NHL guys don't and/or the engineers didn't consider when designing the skates :giggle:

Sorry, I dont often pass with an empty net 

Oh man even I let it go hahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 21, 2017 at 8:39 AM, TheGoalNet said:

thanks @Tim_TRUEHockey !!! 

I have some questions I have always wondered 

It appears the 1 piece is more popular within the NHL, any opinion why?

Does 1 style of skate favor a particular style of play or skill set better? 

Thank you for the question.  I reached out to one of our Pro reps who handles a large portion of our NHL goalie clients. Here was his response: 

...I think there are 2 things at play here, first and foremost the 1 Piece was totally new and different and certainly a welcome advancement in a goaltending position where we have not seen anything game changing in some time.  This past week I can confirm to you that (several NHLers) have switched from a cowling to our 2 Piece with the TRUE holder and Step Steel, and (another NHLer) has also to the 2 piece from a cowling as well, so it seems the pendulum is starting to swing a bit.  

One of the most common statements I do get from the 2 piece guys is that in some situations they feel there is more of a “disconnect” from the ice, understand this has nothing to do with the skate (Bauer 1S guys say the same thing) but rather with the height of the holder compared to that of a cowling or in our case the 1 Piece skate.  It seems the taller guys felt the 1 piece brought them back down lower to the ice and somehow gave them in their words “more control” again.   I find the physically smaller (shorter) guys are drawn to the 2 piece as the added height for those guys actually gives them the ability to take away more space between their shoulders and the crossbar, helping them to take away more net, which obviously would be a welcome addition to any goalies “toolbox”
Edited by Tim_TRUEHockey
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tim_TRUEHockey said:

Thank you for the question.  I reached out to one of our Pro reps who handles a large portion of our NHL goalie clients. Here was his response: 

...I think there are 2 things at play here, first and foremost the 1 Piece was totally new and different and certainly a welcome advancement in a goaltending position where we have not seen anything game changing in some time.  This past week I can confirm to you that the we have now confirmed Roberto Luongo in the 2 Piece with Step steel, Matt Murray has switched from a cowling to our 2 Piece with the TRUE holder and Step Steel, and Brian Elliott also to the 2 piece from a cowling as well, so it seems the pendulum is starting to swing a bit.  

One of the most common statements I do get from the 2 piece guys is that in some situations they feel there is more of a “disconnect” from the ice, understand this has nothing to do with the skate (Bauer 1S guys say the same thing) but rather with the height of the holder compared to that of a cowling or in our case the 1 Piece skate.  It seems the taller guys felt the 1 piece brought them back down lower to the ice and somehow gave them in their words “more control” again.  This is what Carey Price had conveyed to me seeing he is 6’3-6’4 he felt he wanted to get lower to the ice again when he was having his issues around Nov last season.  I find the physically smaller (shorter) guys are drawn to the 2 piece as the added height for those guys actually gives them the ability to take away more space between their shoulders and the crossbar, helping them to take away more net, which obviously would be a welcome addition to any goalies “toolbox”

@Tim_TRUEHockey is this from Jorg?  Any chance of him joining us on the board?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cwarnar said:

@Tim_TRUEHockey is this from Jorg?  Any chance of him joining us on the board?

We would like our pro reps to focus on supporting pros, store reps to focus on our retail partners but at the same make sure that we are available to the public to answer questions and provide insight into products. That's my role and I'm excited to get to give you all glimpses inside the exciting work we're doing at TRUE.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome.  I personally know how great you are with stuff Tim... always just curious to hear what pros think of gear and how it compares to what us joes think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cwarnar said:

Awesome.  I personally know how great you are with stuff Tim... always just curious to hear what pros think of gear and how it compares to what us joes think

Agreed, @Tim_TRUEHockey Got us amazing content here. I don't think we're missing anything without Jorg! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tim_TRUEHockey with that long statement about goalie height. Someone who is taller than price, would you put them in the one piece holder or 2?

Would the 2 piece give a greater attack angle? My hangup on the 1 piece is that is the holder breaks you need a new skate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hills said:

@Tim_TRUEHockey with that long statement about goalie height. Someone who is taller than price, would you put them in the one piece holder or 2?

Would the 2 piece give a greater attack angle? My hangup on the 1 piece is that is the holder breaks you need a new skate.

 

To answer your 2nd question first: the 2 piece does have a taller attack angle.  But the decision of which skate you should get comes down to personal preference.  Some very tall goalies like the 2 piece because of the forward pitch.  I am a short goalie and currently wear the 1 piece and love it.  So it's really about which skate has the majority of the product features that align to your interest and preferences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tim_TRUEHockey when can we expect a true ( no reference to your new company name) goalie runner holder for your 2 piece cowlingless skates. Right know you are using a holder that was created for player skates!

I understand the economies of using one holder for all your skates but I have a hard time with the look of the 2 piece skate also if am not mistaken a player skate is also higher than a goalie skate?  

Has True budgeted any dough for this are there any plans??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the holder looks better as a goalie skate holder than as a player skate holder. 

I also kind of like that I could pop in a player skate runner for public skating and such or even stick times. LOL.

if they’d come up with a removable tendon guard like the Easton Mako then people could seriously use one pair of skates for both positions! Haha

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm torn on the 1-piece vs 2-piece. I don't really care for a forward pitch or for the taller height. But I also don't like that the carbon holder could break and then I'd have to buy a completely new skate... Which I'd rather just replace a holder.

Now I know that the carbon holder has held up well, but I did see a pair on ggsu with a crack on the toe cap that ran down to the carbon holder... So that makes me a bit weary and I like the option of being able to replace pieces.

Regardless, I can't wait to get a pair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hills said:

I'm torn on the 1-piece vs 2-piece. I don't really care for a forward pitch or for the taller height. But I also don't like that the carbon holder could break and then I'd have to buy a completely new skate... Which I'd rather just replace a holder.

Now I know that the carbon holder has held up well, but I did see a pair on ggsu with a crack on the toe cap that ran down to the carbon holder... So that makes me a bit weary and I like the option of being able to replace pieces.

Regardless, I can't wait to get a pair.

Carbon is very repairable. When properly repaired, that spot is going to be stronger than before. It is even something you can do at home. I would not worry about that aspect.

Now what I don't like about the integrated boot and holder is the inability to change if needed. It boxes you into something proprietary. What if True discontinues this style? And your reservation is very, very much on my mind. If it shatters into a zillion pieces, it would be much harder to repair and have it stay straight. I am certain Step would continue to build steel, but if you keep stuff for awhile, you could have forced replacement if the style is completely discontinued. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2017 at 9:12 AM, Tim_TRUEHockey said:
1 Piece vs. 2 Piece
TRUE by VH Goalie Skates
 
One of the most common questions we receive is “what are the differences between the 1 piece and 2 piece goalie skates?”  Both skates are pro-level and custom made to the measurements of the client’s foot. And both are built with our patented carbon fiber, monocoque design giving more direct power transfers.  In terms of differences:
 
1 Piece:
·       Design results in zero loss of energy when moving
·       Neutral pitch
·       Lower attack angle
 
2 Piece:
·       Slightly lighter
·       Slight forward pitch
·       Taller attack profile
 
It also bears mentioning that the 2 Piece is typically cheaper than the 1 Piece (check your local fit center for exact pricing).  Check out TRUE-Hockey.com for more details and feel free to reach out to me directly with questions.
 
Tim McCarthy
Tim.McCarthy@TrueTemper.com

@Tim_TRUEHockey, if I want a specific cowling on the 2 piece skate, will you still it at the factory? Or is my only option to buy the boot only and get the cowling installed myself? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I went to pick up a spare set of Step blades for my son at lunch at my local hockey shop - and what do I see a set of 1 piece True goalie skates!  The clerk subsequently showed me that he also had a two piece and a player demo skate!  I also found out that they have been selling them for a couple of months know, they also have the scanning kit - which if you are gonna spend this king of money you might as well make sure your local shop has one!

However I must say that all their skates are heavier than the competition - the one piece weighing a ton!  Also my main concern is their 2 piece cowling ( which as we all know is a player cowling ) I have attached the following pictures that highlight my other concern on their 2 piece unit the height of the skate!!

Picture # 1 True 1 piece vs 2 piece about 1/2 inch in height difference!

True 1.jpg

Picture # 2 CCM/Bauer/True:  CCM being the lowest of the 3 then Bauer then True, I would estimate about 1/4 os an inch from CCM to Bauer + another 1/4 inch to the True

True 3.jpg

Picture # 3 a True player skate and goalie 2 piece same cowling height etc............

True 2.jpg

So next time my son will need a new pair of skates I will certainly consider these - but unless your foot looks like that of Daffy duck there are certainly other options!

One last comment - I am surprised that goalie skate cowlings are not being regulated by the league ( regarding height )- I know if I was CCM/Bauer I would certainly be all over this??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Big2 said:

So I went to pick up a spare set of Step blades for my son at lunch at my local hockey shop - and what do I see a set of 1 piece True goalie skates!  The clerk subsequently showed me that he also had a two piece and a player demo skate!  I also found out that they have been selling them for a couple of months know, they also have the scanning kit - which if you are gonna spend this king of money you might as well make sure your local shop has one!

However I must say that all their skates are heavier than the competition - the one piece weighing a ton!  Also my main concern is their 2 piece cowling ( which as we all know is a player cowling ) I have attached the following pictures that highlight my other concern on their 2 piece unit the height of the skate!!

Picture # 1 True 1 piece vs 2 piece about 1/2 inch in height difference!

Picture # 2 CCM/Bauer/True:  CCM being the lowest of the 3 then Bauer then True, I would estimate about 1/4 os an inch from CCM to Bauer + another 1/4 inch to the True

Picture # 3 a True player skate and goalie 2 piece same cowling height etc............

So next time my son will need a new pair of skates I will certainly consider these - but unless your foot looks like that of Daffy duck there are certainly other options!

One last comment - I am surprised that goalie skate cowlings are not being regulated by the league ( regarding height )- I know if I was CCM/Bauer I would certainly be all over this??

Tan you for the message.  Several notes:

I've  worn the 1 piece for about a year and a half and while I would say it's marginally heavier than my previous set of non-VH skates, it was not something that I ever noticed on the ice.  The performance gain from having skates that fit my foot exactly (I have extremely normal feet) was massive though. I typically equate it driving in a car with electronic braking vs. hydraulic.  With the latter, there is a subtle delay between when you compress the pedal and the car responds.  You're typically unaware of that delay until you drive in a car with electronic breaking and there is zero delay.  Same holds true (no pun intended) when wearing a custom made skate - every subtle movement is translated fully and instantly to the skate.

I've recently switched to the 2 piece version of our skate and can say that I was comfortable within minutes.  The pitch is considerably more forward but beyond that it felt very similar to my 1 piece just with an even better attack angle.  Unlike when I've worn taller blades in previous skates, I didn't feel like I was skating on stilts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2017 at 9:45 PM, Big2 said:

@Tim_TRUEHockey when can we expect a true ( no reference to your new company name) goalie runner holder for your 2 piece cowlingless skates. Right know you are using a holder that was created for player skates!

I understand the economies of using one holder for all your skates but I have a hard time with the look of the 2 piece skate also if am not mistaken a player skate is also higher than a goalie skate?  

Has True budgeted any dough for this are there any plans??

The holders actually are different between the player and goalie versions of our skates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Who's Online   12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

  • Member Statistics

    826
    Total Members
    2,646
    Most Online
    g356gear
    Newest Member
    g356gear
    Joined
  • Similar Content

    • By fullrighttendy70
      Hello Fellow TGN subscribers!
      Its time to upgrade from my Bauer Pros and I'm in a dilemma about what skate to buy. I've narrowed down my options to the Bauer 1S skates, Bauer 1X skates, and the VH two pieces with the 1S vertexx cowling. I'm going to try out the 1S and 1X skates today. I currently have 10.5 D Bauer pro skates. The problem I found with the Bauer pros is that the boot is too wide, and I have narrow feet. I feel that because of that I'm not getting the most out of my movements. That's why I'm reluctant to get the 1S or 1X skates because the boot may be too wide and I don't want to spend $750 for a skate that doesn't fit the way I'd like. But with the VH skates it would be completely custom to my foot and would fit perfectly. The only thing I'm weary of is the price and possibly growing out of them because I'm only 17, which is not that probable. I'm leaning towards the VH skates because of the fit and I've heard only good things about them. Bauer 1S and 1X skates look appealing too don't get me wrong. I would like to hear all your opinions on what you think!! 
      Thanks, David
×