New Gear: How Often?

estogoalie

Just curious how often everyone replaces their gear? I know it varies depending on use (time on ice), how deep your pockets are, if you buy PRO or SR gear, etc.

These are my "average" times....

Time on ice: 2x per week for 6 months of the year (no hockey in summer)

Level of pads: PRO

3-4 years: Leg pads, gloves, pants, bag

5-6 years: Chest and arms, jock, skates

10 years: mask (altho I replace the foam and straps every 3-4 years, and replace dented cages as needed)

Sticks per season: 2-3

I usually like to replace my pads and gloves gear every 2 seasons if I am playing more than once per week which I had been the last handful of years. Deciding to take a break form playing this year so it will be a bit longer this time. My mask has been with me for 5 years because it is a high end model and fits well so the only thing I would replace is the foam. Skates are around every 2-3 years. I usually only use 1 stick per season because I really dont like to switch once I get used to one

Time on ice: 2-3 times per week, year round

Level of pads: Pro C/A + Helmet, SR everything else

3-4 years: Leg pads, gloves, pants, bag, C/A, Skates,

6+ Years and counting: Jock and Clavicle protection. My Eagle double cup and Vaughn clavicle protector are still holding up fine.

Sticks per season: 1? I get a lot of life out of my sticks. Been using the swame warrior swagger twig for 1.5 years. It's almost dead, but I'll wait till it disintegrates.

Had to modify your chart a little...

Time on ice: 2 times per week, year round + 1 night a week roller

Level of pads: Pro (obviously)

3-4 years: Stick, tape

5-10 years: Bauer Supreme Skates, Sportmask SM-90 Cage

10-20 years: V1 pads, T4000 catch, V1 blocker, V1 CA, John Brown Cup, CCM Gatekeeper pants, Nike Bauer Knee Pads

20+ Years and counting: Cooper SK2000 - Was a gift from my mom in 1991.

Sticks per season: <1 - Same stick now for a few years.

I started to fill it out and realized I have no way of knowing yet. Only thing I've replaced since I started playing are my C/A (Bauer Reactor 4000 > Passau), Knee pads (Brian's > Passau), Pads, (Brian's S-Series > Passau) and Skates (Bauer Reactor 2000 > VH). None of which I have any plans of replacing any time soon. Maybe skates if I decide to jump from VH to True. 

Now that I've settled on a stick model/curve I don't see a real reason to get new sticks aside from color changes. 

I wear a SR level mask (Bauer NME8) and have no plans to change the model or move to a pro level. The only way I'd get a new mask is if I wanted a new paint job.

I want new pants but only because I think I'd like to try going a size up. 

It's weird going to GoalieMonkey and walking out after 10 minutes just because I don't actually need anything, and they don't sell most of what I wear anyway. 

On 9/19/2017 at 8:32 AM, estogoalie said:

Time on ice: 1x per week

Level of pads: PRO

1-2 years:  ca, gloves, pads, skates

3-4 years: pants, jock, helmet

Sticks per season: 3-5

I have only been in goal three and a half years and back on the ice for five years total. Up until last September, I was on the ice 3-5 times per week. I haven't found pads I love, except that I do really like SaveByRichter35's Vaughns he sold me.  I play those maybe once every three weeks. I like the PAW pads best out of everything I have bought thus far. But I am always seeing what other stuff plays like, and want matching sets for a lot of uniforms.  I am a bit of a gear whore, and am regularly trying out new stuff. I fell in love with the illegal sized trappers, and have quite the collection of them, now. If I find a set of pads I fall in love with and they play the way I like them to perpetually, my gear acquisition syndrome will probably slow down a bit. It just seems that as some pads break down, they get to be too floppy in the butterfly. The Richter tribute set is a keeper for me, and will get refreshed periodically. My PAW T-1000 glove and white MacLean tribute blocker will be a keeper set and will be hung on the wall when done. My blue/white Kenesky/Brians glove set? Probably not so much. My Factory Mad glove is a keeper, and I may just have to get a matching blocker. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/19/2017 at 10:25 AM, MTH said:

Had to modify your chart a little...

Time on ice: 2 times per week, year round + 1 night a week roller

Level of pads: Pro (obviously)

3-4 years: Stick, tape

5-10 years: Bauer Supreme Skates, Sportmask SM-90 Cage

10-20 years: V1 pads, T4000 catch, V1 blocker, V1 CA, John Brown Cup, CCM Gatekeeper pants, Nike Bauer Knee Pads

20+ Years and counting: Cooper SK2000 - Was a gift from my mom in 1991.

Sticks per season: <1 - Same stick now for a few years.

Self quote -

My mom sent me this scan of a receipt. Got my SK2000 on November 22, 1991. Bam!MattHockeyBill.thumb.jpg.40fb30b51870405d7827e46885e6315e.jpg

Adjusted for inflation, that SK2000 would be about $95 new today.

• 3 years later...

been using my Itech Prodigy Pro pants for over 10 years... not on a regular full time basis but 10 yrs nonetheless. All the suspender buttons are gone, suspenders are tied on with skate lace now, belts are still functional although i only use the outside one, the original lace is still on the pants and it now feels like some kind of old twine, there is a crack in the plastic or foam under one of the thighs.. i think the left side and a tear in the butt from jumping over the boards and getting caught up on a screw that was sticking up ever so slightly 🙄.

I think i still like them because I'm so use to them, don't have to think about them, they feel like part of my body. Plus the anxiety of wearing new stuff getting it broke in and hoping whatever it is works out. But wth, I think I have finally convinced myself to try/get some new pants. 

2 hours ago, Scythe said:

been using my Itech Prodigy Pro pants for over 10 years... not on a regular full time basis but 10 yrs nonetheless. All the suspender buttons are gone, suspenders are tied on with skate lace now, belts are still functional although i only use the outside one, the original lace is still on the pants and it now feels like some kind of old twine, there is a crack in the plastic under one of the thighs.. i think the left side and a tear in the butt from jumping over the boards and getting caught up on a screw that was sticking up ever so slightly 🙄.

I think i still like them because I'm so use to them, don't have to think about them, they feel like part of my body. Plus the anxiety of wearing new stuff getting it broke in and hoping whatever it is works out. But wth, I think I have finally convinced myself to try/get some new pants. 

If you decide not to get new pants, you could order these to replace the suspender buttons. I’ve used them on my 2007 Brown pants and they work great. 
0E1D9590-68E4-432C-AA3B-A3C534D71612.thumb.jpeg.97b6f298280cfe8477d6977d02fa098e.jpegEA90FE19-A21A-4DE0-94E0-600C2960BB73.thumb.jpeg.e51ae5dd495bc2b7f16890360f216447.jpeg6EAC5E6F-AC42-4F80-B144-6DA8D615813E.thumb.jpeg.e5f35bebdf7e8a9ca2df2ebf79aaefb1.jpegBB50F993-6FB2-41BA-B5B2-40F87047A3EC.thumb.jpeg.541bfe45fb6ce32bb75fe2fb28d8c726.jpeg

11 hours ago, Scythe said:

been using my Itech Prodigy Pro pants for over 10 years... not on a regular full time basis but 10 yrs nonetheless. All the suspender buttons are gone, suspenders are tied on with skate lace now, belts are still functional although i only use the outside one, the original lace is still on the pants and it now feels like some kind of old twine, there is a crack in the plastic or foam under one of the thighs.. i think the left side and a tear in the butt from jumping over the boards and getting caught up on a screw that was sticking up ever so slightly 🙄.

Are those the ones that had basically a 2 inch or so vertical block on the outside of the pants that served no purpose other than to take up more space?

Historically, I have replaced pants (bauer elite, 11k pro return, hpg 12a, and hpg 14a) and chest protectors(warrior senior and pro g1, vaughn ve8) every 3 years/ or whenever they stop working, but now that I have a brown, it may be a lot longer. My 12a's were falling apart so I bought the 14a's to hold me over until I purchase some vaughn pants.

Same with masks, but now that I've got a hold of a bauer/itech 961SE stars and stripes, I'll probably be using that for a very long time (one of these days, I'm going to save up and buy an RXS Daytona 68)

My leg pads are usually done after four years of heavy use, I got a new pair in February and am only switching because of the color, but I'll be using my old stuff until I complete the set.

Knee pads, jock get used until they no longer work. I have been using my bauer reactor jock since I started in September of 13'. Knee pads get used until I find something that works better, so right now, I'll be using Factory Mads (since 2019) for the rest of my days on the ice. 

I have gone through 3 gloves, A T7600, a 580 break XLT and currently use a 580 break E Flex 3 (practice), which I will be relegating to practice duty when I get around to ordering the matching glove for my new pads. 

Blocker has been a Vaughn B7800 that I got barely used on ebay back when I started playing, and is starting to show its age after all these years. I took this blocker all the way from house league to college, haha. I will likely be replacing it later on in the year, too. 

Before the whole lockdown, I was playing 4-5 times a week, but now I am down to 1, all equipment listed is pro level.

Archived