2017-2018 NHL Gear Sitings

TheGoalNet

21 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

It's also in the painters' best interest to have these guys going through new masks every half a season -- they can flex their talents and get their name out there more, show off new looks and techniques to potential customers, etc.  The goalies also get to show their new lids off on Instagram and develop their #brand #persona with fans (though I'd argue sticking with a look does that more, as people noted above). And the masks can be auctioned off for charity. It's really a win for everyone.

Personally, I still prefer when goalies have a distinguished look that they kept for a while. Imagine the iconic masks we'd have lost (or forgotten easily, rather) if Marty was getting a new mask with some ripped demon on it every season, or if Richter redesigned his Lady Liberty 4x a year like Hank, or if Beezer only stuck with the Panther for 2 months before trying another design.

I will say, in regards to Marty, that seeing his mask in St.Louis colours was...pretty weird.

If Quick ever was traded, I'd bet he'd take his knight design with him. It's maybe one of the only designs I associate more with the individual goalie than the team...

I'm trying to think of goalies who maintain a constant element on their masks:

Bernier - lion

Reimer - transformer (but it's always some daveart mess)

Mason - zombie teammates

...off the top of my head, that's all I can think of.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Yea I tend to lean towards getting the same thing over and over but maybe with minor detail changes would establish a brand/persona more than getting a totally different design every season.  And I agree with the iconic masks of our childhood.  Some things will just never be the same.

Well using Potvin as an example he had multiple Leafs masks that were quite a bit different but all the same general design.

IMO, Quick is the only modern mask that could stand up to some classics like Roy habs, Potvin, Marty, Moog Bruins, Beezer FLA, or Cujo 

The world of 5 masks a season gets to be a bit much 

remember that time Marty tried his personal logo on his helmet? :rofl:

11 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Good call on his not changing or being nearly the same. 

For some reason that one doesn’t stand out to me as much. Maybe the design is less clear? 

I don't rank Ron Slater's work as "memorable", and his website/portfolio backs that up. What do I remember most about ol' Tuukan Sam's mask? That big old triangle bar gold-plated cage.

14 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

IMO, Quick is the only modern mask that could stand up to some classics like Roy habs, Potvin, Marty, Moog Bruins, Beezer FLA, or Cujo 

The world of 5 masks a season gets to be a bit much 

remember that time Marty tried his personal logo on his helmet? :rofl:

I never knew it was a knight design. Always looks like aluminum foil to me.

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I think Quick's mask would actually look really good in gold (if he ever played for Vegas). Possibly better, in fact. It's so dark the way he's got it done now. 

Funny enough I have a friend that has the Quick sportmask AND the exact scheme in VGK colors... lol. 

Actually looks really good. 

Archived