Buying/Selling Etiquette

ULTIMA

I don't know if this will end up in the right spot, admin feel free to move this to a more appropriate area of the forums if you believe so. I may get into trouble for what i have to say but it's been a long time coming.

I feel compelled to talk about the rights and the wrongs of being  buying or selling gear online because for years I get the same kinna jackoffs saying and doing the the same things that can be extremely irritating. I almost feel like there should be a database of names of people who do the following that should be exposed for wasting other people's time and just being general trolls.

Whats wrong when you're a potential buyer is for you to not agree with the price and dictate what YOU think it should be. Do you walk in Wal-Mart, Home Depot ect., look at the price of a product, disagree with it and then before a manager or associate and tell them "You're never gonna sell this at that price"? This situation couldn't be made worse with the exception of when the person saying these things has absolutely no interest in purchasing.

What's wrong when you're a potential buyer is making an offer for something, having no confidence with that offer and then backing out without notice. I get that things happen and we are all human beings. But Jesus Christ, I can't tell you how many excuses along the lines of "My car broke down" or "My kid needs braces" I'v heard.It's no secret that hockey can be costly. It's been a well known fact since the earth cooled. If you can't afford to play, I'm sorry to say get another sport. And you DEFINITELY shouldn't ever say "I'll take it for sure" meenwhile the seller now has to turn down offers because he thinks he has it sold.

Those of you who do things like this on here, Facebook groups, Kijiji etc. know who you are and you are damn lucky I don't publicly shame and expose you for being a prick.

If this thread doesn't get deleted, please feel free to add to the list of the rights and the wrongs. It's about time there be some "rules" or guidelines that people be aware of. Happy to take any heat from those who are offended.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

Whats wrong when you're a potential buyer is for you to not agree with the price and dictate what YOU think it should be. Do you walk in Wal-Mart, Home Depot ect., look at the price of a product, disagree with it and then before a manager or associate and tell them "You're never gonna sell this at that price"? This situation couldn't be made worse with the exception of when the person saying these things has absolutely no interest in purchasing.

I disagree on this point, slightly. Individual Wal-Mart and Home Depot stores don't set the prices on their products, they are required to sell their products at the advertised price. People selling used hockey equipment are not. They own the stuff, they set the price, and they can change the price whenever and however they want.

Growing up, I was given to understand that prices on second-markets are open to negotiation/haggling, unless the seller explicitly states otherwise. It's being a dick about it ("You're never gonna sell it at this price!") that's the problem.

I had a guy a couple of years ago agree to buy a glove from me.  We were right up to the point of having it packaged and preparing to ship.  Then he fell off the face of the planet.  No excuses or anything, just stopped responding.  At least I wasn't out anything but I was pretty upset that I got roped along and in the end didn't end up selling it.

For the most part I have had fairly good luck selling and buying things online and through Kijiji and Facebook marketplace.  There are always those people out there looking to turn a quick buck or just mess with another person for pure enjoyment though.

The old adage of buyer beware has never been so prevalent.

15 hours ago, MangoRhinehart said:

Buying tip: Always use paypal goods and services for your protection. It costs 3% but is worth it. If someone asks to go friends and family or alternate payment method, you do not have as much recourse in case of a scam.

Yes always.  I am in the middle of a PayPal dispute right now.  I found the skates on Sidelineswap but asked if the buyer would consider PP as I am more familiar with it, they obliged.  Long story short they agreed to take a return with refund if I wasn't happy with the skate.  I shipped back to them and they fell off the planet without issuing my refund.  They finally responded when I threatened with filing a dispute and said they don't know where the package is.  I told them the tracking says it was delivered to your door/mailbox so they should contact the post office.  I gave them almost a week to work something out with the USPS, never got a reply from them so I opened a dispute.

Edit - the Sidelineswap username is Rmg1968 out of the Henderson, NV.  I assume its a hockey shop as the email is vegashockeystop.

I recently had an incident through sideline swap. I put an offer in on what looked to be a barely used glove, seemed like a pro return with practice palm, wanted to give that a try. I received the glove, and what was in the box was not what was pictured. The nearly new looking images must've been before it had been used at all, because what I had in my hand was well loved, not to mention the smell (which wasn't bad, but definitely made the whole thing worse in my mind).

So that said, if you're selling gear, post current/accurate pictures so that everyone has the same expectations of what's being transacted.

On 11/4/2019 at 8:54 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Yes always.  I am in the middle of a PayPal dispute right now.  I found the skates on Sidelineswap but asked if the buyer would consider PP as I am more familiar with it, they obliged.  Long story short they agreed to take a return with refund if I wasn't happy with the skate.  I shipped back to them and they fell off the planet without issuing my refund.  They finally responded when I threatened with filing a dispute and said they don't know where the package is.  I told them the tracking says it was delivered to your door/mailbox so they should contact the post office.  I gave them almost a week to work something out with the USPS, never got a reply from them so I opened a dispute.

Edit - the Sidelineswap username is Rmg1968 out of the Henderson, NV.  I assume its a hockey shop as the email is vegashockeystop.

I won the dispute and have been awarded a full refund. 

On 11/4/2019 at 5:54 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Looks like it could be a home business as I'm not aware of any public facing shops in or around Vegas with that name. We only have 3 main gear shops I know of that are all at different rinks. Sorry to hear that dude tried to screw you over but glad you got your money back. Paypal is really good about that stuff.

59 minutes ago, Azkals OG said:

Looks like it could be a home business as I'm not aware of any public facing shops in or around Vegas with that name. We only have 3 main gear shops I know of that are all at different rinks. Sorry to hear that dude tried to screw you over but glad you got your money back. Paypal is really good about that stuff.

Yea it happens unfortunately.  Are you near Henderson?

2 hours ago, Azkals OG said:

You know you convinced me to go on Google Maps to see what the address shows.

Edit - It is indeed a house after all.  A nice one too at that.

The latest in jackass-ery potential buyers

It's NEVER a good idea to back out unless truly necessary. But when I hear bullshit like "I can't man, wifey is not happy about me buying more stuff, so I gotta be out". My fellow brethren, you think she'd ever ask you for permission to buy more make up? More shoes? Etc. I'd rather stop getting responses and be ignored than hear this kinna crap from you. Real or not real, no one wants to hear that kind of "excuse".

That includes you, Jeff...

• 2 years later...

Bumping an old thread that started from my old account obviously because I'm selling items currently and I'm not gonna embarrass someone publicly. This community has been pretty good but I feel like some borderline enjoy being yo-yos.

Personally, I think asking someone why they're selling something indicates interest. This is the internet, if you wana be chatty, go do so elsewhere. But if you're not in the market for something you see for sale, don't ask that question and then disappear when you get the answer.

On 11/13/2019 at 5:54 PM, ULTIMA said:

The latest in jackass-ery potential buyers

It's NEVER a good idea to back out unless truly necessary. But when I hear bullshit like "I can't man, wifey is not happy about me buying more stuff, so I gotta be out". My fellow brethren, you think she'd ever ask you for permission to buy more make up? More shoes? Etc. I'd rather stop getting responses and be ignored than hear this kinna crap from you. Real or not real, no one wants to hear that kind of "excuse".

That includes you, Jeff...

I agree. If I was negotiating and I got a better deal on a piece of equipment, I'll tell the seller thank you and that I got a better deal elsewhere. Otherwise, I don't back out. 

10 hours ago, XCVII said:

Bumping an old thread that started from my old account obviously because I'm selling items currently and I'm not gonna embarrass someone publicly. This community has been pretty good but I feel like some borderline enjoy being yo-yos.

Personally, I think asking someone why they're selling something indicates interest. This is the internet, if you wana be chatty, go do so elsewhere. But if you're not in the market for something you see for sale, don't ask that question and then disappear when you get the answer.

Yes! I wanted to call out the person that did this in one of your threads..

Also -

• People who message me on Sidelineswap asking how about an unrelated piece of gear in the background and want to start a conversation about it
  • People who ask me for something similar to what I've listed in different size/colors

See below, I've omitted usernames but this shit drives me bonkers

• This one from an ad selling sticks:
    • image.png.fc0d372eb1a8b8664ba47fbb525ba502.png
  • This one selling a set of Trues:
    •  
  • Lowballers:
    • image.thumb.png.ef9f430aca1e5c5dc7aed6bfedb90003.png

image.png

The problem is that people can hide behind their keyboard. I admit to being guilty of the last minute pull out in years past, but well understood that it wastes the seller’s time. I have had it paid back. As far as asking permission: DON’T. I mean, unless your singular mode of transportation was screwed up or you ended up with a life-changing surgery that you have no clue how  things will turn out, don’t back out of the sale or otherwise jerk someone around. For me, a response saying “wish I could afford; GLWS” is acceptable; doing that mid-deal is terrible.