Optik 2

cwarnar

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

What is the purpose of the professor strap?

its a strap above the calf that was there but all the stupid cool kids thought that less straps means u r cooler so the mfg got rid of everything underneath the knee and now the are back tracking and adding a straps that serve the same purpose and calling it new mind blowing features that will help you more.  

58 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

What is the purpose of the professor strap?

29 minutes ago, DL42 said:

its a strap above the calf that was there but all the stupid cool kids thought that less straps means u r cooler so the mfg got rid of everything underneath the knee and now the are back tracking and adding a straps that serve the same purpose and calling it new mind blowing features that will help you more.  

Or, practically speaking,  it keeps pads secure at the top of the calf to prevent them from sagging down towards the skates.  A professor strap essentially counters a boot strap, allowing pads to fit taller/higher on your legs. 

52 minutes ago, DL42 said:

Theoretically, the professor strap is secure enough that you shouldn't need any other straps, so it's just continuing the trend. About the only other strap you would need is an outer calf wrap strap to keep it from flapping around.

Your tone is kind of condescending. I appreciate being able to dress quicker and not carry the weight of 5 pieces of leather when two pieces of nylon will do the trick just fine.

1 hour ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Theoretically, the professor strap is secure enough that you shouldn't need any other straps, so it's just continuing the trend. About the only other strap you would need is an outer calf wrap strap to keep it from flapping around.

Your tone is kind of condescending. I appreciate being able to dress quicker and not carry the weight of 5 pieces of leather when two pieces of nylon will do the trick just fine.

He specializes in being condescending, which is why I set him to ignore.  Unfortunately people quote his nonsense and I get stuck reading it anyway.   

I found that the professor strap mod I did to my old Brian's SZ3's was the single most effective modification I've ever made to a pair of pads.   They were slightly too short for me, but with the professor strap they sat higher and closed the five hole more effectively.  Not to mention that I made mine with a minimum of materials to cut down on weight (at the expense of comfort) and I ended up trimming almost a quarter pound of strapping off each pad.  The pads felt very different after the mod but played way better and at the end of the day that's what counts! 

6 hours ago, seagoal said:

Or, practically speaking,  it keeps pads secure at the top of the calf to prevent them from sagging down towards the skates.  A professor strap essentially counters a boot strap, allowing pads to fit taller/higher on your legs. 

If I use no bootstrap and pro laces, would it even be needed for gnetik 4 pads? I don’t do the price style strap at top I just strap it across the knee

19 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

If I use no bootstrap and pro laces, would it even be needed for gnetik 4 pads? I don’t do the price style strap at top I just strap it across the knee

If you want your pads to sit higher,  then yes.  It would be an option. 

20 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

It simply helps with keeping the pad connected to your leg.  Its not necessarily a piece that is needed or not, more of a preference thing.  It helps with rotation and places the tension of the pad on the upper calf.

12 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Exactly.  It makes pads less floppy and less able to bounce on and off the shin.

So say I want a secure fit on my gnetik 4 or 5 if I end up purchasing either of them would it help keep the pad snug but also still be able to move around and be mobile?

6 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

So say I want a secure fit on my gnetik 4 or 5 if I end up purchasing either of them would it help keep the pad snug but also still be able to move around and be mobile?

Yes.  It compensates for the loose fit that some pads have (lots of guys complained about the 1S, knee falling off the block when strapping the velcro to the calf.  

The professor strap acts as the main anchor and rotation point for the pad.

Watch this video and wait until Scrivens goes over his pads:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1djGXwEXnyjKZ

8 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Honestly, I don’t see myself wearing a pad without the professor straps. It takes me 30 seconds tops to get my pads on now, but leather strap elitists will defend their ways to the end 😂

19 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Honestly, I don’t see myself wearing a pad without the professor straps. It takes me 30 seconds tops to get my pads on now, but leather strap elitists will defend their ways to the end 😂

I'm having to remove mine. They've stretched the core lace of my 2x Pro pads absurdly. Until I can find a good spot to cut and tighten them, I'm leaving my prof strap off.

13 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

I'm having to remove mine. They've stretched the core lace of my 2x Pro pads absurdly. Until I can find a good spot to cut and tighten them, I'm leaving my prof strap off.

Whilst I'd love to give professor straps a go, this ^ is what concerns me with any after market strap!  

I'd hate for them to shred or torque the core laces of my pads so that I had to replace them, which I can only imagine would be an absolute nightmare to do!

2 hours ago, raucebyalien said:

Whilst I'd love to give professor straps a go, this ^ is what concerns me with any after market strap!  

I'd hate for them to shred or torque the core laces of my pads so that I had to replace them, which I can only imagine would be an absolute nightmare to do!

Would be very easy to have a shoe cobbler sew one properly on 

On 10/2/2019 at 8:09 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'm a little underwhelmed with the customizer.  I hate when they have stitched zones but don't leave them open for their own color zone.  

Bored at work, passing time designing gear I feel like I'll ever be able to get anytime soon and felt the need to reiterate how disappointing the customizer is.  While the graphic is pretty damn cool, there are not enough medium accent areas to play with like there are on the Gnetik.  The Optik is 3 big areas, one medium area, and a few tiny ones.

8 hours ago, Doc1200 said:

I can see the benefit of a professor strap on a pad with a larger leg channel but with the Genitik 4 having such a tight leg channel would it have the same effect? 

Definitely going to be up to what you want. I really prefer the "pad is part of my leg" feeling from a pad.

24 minutes ago, Telfo said:

I would be curious to know what the upcharges for all those various changes were.

I’ll have My invoice soon and be able to tell ya on the mods I did. 

gnetik4 knee

full primo boot landing 

primo finger binding on blocker 

anderson blocker mod 

lexan blocker face 

1” deeper reenforced anchor t 

offset small toe bridge 

thin blue line flag embroidery

1 hour ago, Wrbsti15 said:

I’ll have My invoice soon and be able to tell ya on the mods I did. 

gnetik4 knee

full primo boot landing 

primo finger binding on blocker 

anderson blocker mod 

lexan blocker face 

1” deeper reenforced anchor t 

offset small toe bridge 

thin blue line flag embroidery

What’s the reinforced T do besides make the glove a little stiffer?

Archived