Vaughn V9

Max27

13 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Heretic.

You know, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm seeing less and less Vaughn gear in the beer leagues. Well newer sets at least.

The only guys I see still rocking Vaughn are lifelong users. I rarely see goalies make a switch into Vaughn. I mentioned in a previous thread that I think CCM was starting to be pigeon holed into the same category as Vaughn as a slow innovator/dinosaur brand compared to the Bauer/Warrior/Brians, and I still stand by it.

When Vaughn makes what I call a “Vaughn” glove, meaning in the vein of a T5500, it is hard to go away from that; being said, they definitely are a bit of a dinosaur as far as the rest of the gear goes. Great for a traditionalist, and that market needs to be served. And if they stop offering the penultimate “Vaughn” glove, the marketshare will continue to dwindle.

The young kids playing now are the beer leaguers of tomorrow.  If Vaughn is only seen as a traditionalist’s brand, they could be in trouble years down the road.

Not at all inspired by the graphic.  Looks ok on the pads but on the gloves it looks pretty week compared to how good the VE8 graphic looked

The thining of the pads and updated strapping look promising but once again.  Vaughn needs a greater demo program or if it exists the word needs to be spread.  As a beer leaguer I am not about to drop 2K on pads without being able to test them first.  I think that is another reason Bauer has gotten stronger sales with 2S and 2X.  You can walk into almost any store and take a set home to try.  I really wanted to buy a set of SLR2's because I loved the look of them but I had free access (brother's gear) to 1X and 2X Pro to try out.  I ended up in the 2X mainly because of getting them for a good deal slightly used.

So the product may not need testing but the market for looks should have been and there are a lot of potential sales out there that would be swayed with being able to test it.

As a Vaughn user for the last decade these pads actually excite me a little.  Despite its similarity to the Mckenney pads I love the graphic.  They finally did something that I have been hoping they would do for a long time now...thin out the pad profile.  If I was in the market I would certainly consider these.  However, Brian's is still the top of my list for when I eventually get something new.

2 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

As a Vaughn user for the last decade these pads actually excite me a little.  Despite its similarity to the Mckenney pads I love the graphic.  They finally did something that I have been hoping they would do for a long time now...thin out the pad profile.  If I was in the market I would certainly consider these.  However, Brian's is still the top of my list for when I eventually get something new.

Same here, my only complaints with the VE8 pads were they they were a bit on the heavy side and they didn't have any sort of sliding material. These check both of those boxes. 

16 minutes ago, seagoal said:

4.3 lbs is heavy?

They only weighed in at 4.3 lbs? I switched from Vaughn to 2x from the reasons mentioned above. The 2X pads feel way lighter.

Edit: It says on Pure Goalie that VE8 Pro Carbon weighs 5 lbs and the Senior model weighs 5.25 lbs.

Edited by Peter36

4 hours ago, Peter36 said:

Same here, my only complaints with the VE8 pads were they they were a bit on the heavy side and they didn't have any sort of sliding material. These check both of those boxes. 

they’re lighter than my pro v elites, but i don’t really notice the weight between the two when playing.. also got my pads from goaliesplus so it included the quickslide and it’s amazing. 

19 hours ago, seagoal said:

Hey look....a_youngoalie....

Infoish on trappers 

1401591493_Screenshot_20200107-103545_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.1644bd1fdb7870e454697b996502f36c.jpg

Keep in mind that I reacted with a laugh because I thought you were saying that a young goalie was looking into Vaughn, disputing my assertion that only traditionalists wanted these, when in fact, it was our own @a_youngoalie looking at these. Wasn’t laughing at you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

Keep in mind that I reacted with a laugh because I thought you were saying that a young goalie was looking into Vaughn, disputing my assertion that only traditionalists wanted these, when in fact, it was our own @a_youngoalie looking at these. Wasn’t laughing at you!

Haha.  I didn't take it that way at all but appreciate your concern.

@Peter36 hmm. I can bring mine to work today to check.  I'm fairly certain they are less than 5 but I could be wrong. 

Personally I went from V6 to 8 and that was a huge weight difference,  in strapping alone.

7 hours ago, Peter36 said:

Do you guys think it is worth getting the stiff thigh rise option over the stock, even though it says it will add weight? The only reason I would want it is because the thigh rise on my 2x has broken down so quickly.

If you're comparing it to a 2x with the curv breaking down, you should definitely get the stiffer thigh. 

But why just not get SLR2?

2 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

If you're comparing it to a 2x with the curv breaking down, you should definitely get the stiffer thigh. 

But why just not get SLR2?

I don't really like stiff pads. I was trying to decide between just the stock stiffness, soft boot with stock thigh, and soft boot with stiff thigh. I would only want stiff for a possibly better seal and greater durability.

Edited by Peter36

21 hours ago, Peter36 said:

Do you guys think it is worth getting the stiff thigh rise option over the stock, even though it says it will add weight? The only reason I would want it is because the thigh rise on my 2x has broken down so quickly.

Bauer has been known to have some quality issues like breaking down quickly. I have never heard of a Vaughn pad breaking down

1 hour ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Bauer has been known to have some quality issues like breaking down quickly. I have never heard of a Vaughn pad breaking down

The documented Bauer quality issues were specifically not with the internals though, it was externals on 1S/1X.  I'm not asking this to be a jerk, but where are you reading anything about the internals breaking down that isn't just random online comments? 

Like coop said, I have specifically heard of Vaughn pads breaking down in various different fashions, especially being some of the softest of the big brands.  But I don't want to just parrot that there's nothing wrong with Bauer internals, genuinely interested if there's been internal breakdown issues.

Hello all,

I am getting my first ever custom set of pads, and I'm looking to order within these next upcoming weeks. I'm seeking help with what specs I should get based on my play style and preferences. I'm on the shorter side (5'6") but still growing. I play a very athletic style. Right now this is what I'm thinking about going with. 

I currently wear a size medium intermediate bauer pad, which is listed as 31+1, I'm thinking I should go with a 33+1.5.

Stock knee strap, mid knee (I wear the strap behind my knee.)

Stock boot strap through skate (I wear the bootstrap going through the back hole)

Standard toe bar with skate lace (planning on putting in Pro Laces)

Single break (undecided on what stiffness I should choose for the boot/thigh. Not sure what is the best for my style.) 

I'm also thinking of going with a tapered toe (but what are the benefits?)

Thanks in advance.

Edit: If there are different specs that you guys think would be good, let me know please.

Edited by Peter36

27 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

The documented Bauer quality issues were specifically not with the internals though, it was externals on 1S/1X.  I'm not asking this to be a jerk, but where are you reading anything about the internals breaking down that isn't just random online comments? 

Like coop said, I have specifically heard of Vaughn pads breaking down in various different fashions, especially being some of the softest of the big brands.  But I don't want to just parrot that there's nothing wrong with Bauer internals, genuinely interested if there's been internal breakdown issues.

yeah most of Bauers issues are almost entirely related to the cortech skin and some generally lower quality control. The one thing you dont have to worry about is the pad internals losing stiffness or anything like that.

Vaughn internals were notorious for breaking down but that has gotten better over time.  I dont think its anything you really need to worry about with a modern line of pads.

Edited by Telfo

1 hour ago, Mroy31 said:

Not offended at all! My goalie partner last year had Bauer 1s pads and gloves. Both pads were broken where a typical single break pad has it’s one outer break. They would bend like crazy because the internals broke. Also, his glove was broken inside because there was a bump from foam and plastic sticking up. Also @coopaloop1234 What models were the boot settling and finger curling happening on? I think they actually were before my time lol