Should I be concerned about my new C&A?

Peter36

16 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

I just received my new SLR C&A and it hangs really low around my neck. There is a much bigger gap around my neck vs my current C&A. I don't wear a dangler. Should I return it and buy one that fits better? Maybe the C&A just doesn't fit well on me.

Have you made all the adjustments you can make?

28 minutes ago, Telfo said:

do you wear a neck guard under it?  If not, you definitely should

I second this. Or a dangler/neck guard combo. 

My first C/A was the RBK Premier and the neck hangs pretty low. I knew straight away that I needed to wear a neck guard (or at least a dangler) in order to feel safer wearing that type of unit.

2 hours ago, Telfo said:

do you wear a neck guard under it?  If not, you definitely should

1 hour ago, creasecollector said:

I second this. Or a dangler/neck guard combo. 

My first C/A was the RBK Premier and the neck hangs pretty low. I knew straight away that I needed to wear a neck guard (or at least a dangler) in order to feel safer wearing that type of unit.

I do wear a neck guard, and I've taken shots to it in the current unit I use. This unit much farther down though, and there is no way to pull it up.

23 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

067AFC40-D06A-4A22-B9FB-CABB1C3FDD18.thumb.png.934199af4307f49681a740052cb536a4.png

Here is a picture of the C&A. When I get into my stance with the C&A it doesn’t come up much. Should I return it and look into a different unit? I have tried to adjust it.

Don't wear that on the ice. Seriously.

I played against a goalie who wore an ill-fitting chest protector a few years ago. I took a slapshot from the top of the circle, and hit him square on the collarbone because it had slipped down. He ended up with a compound fracture, and a trip to the hospital.

7 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

Don't wear that on the ice. Seriously.

I played against a goalie who wore an ill-fitting chest protector a few years ago. I took a slapshot from the top of the circle, and hit him square on the collarbone because it had slipped down. He ended up with a compound fracture, and a trip to the hospital.

i second this. it hangs way too low.. if you can try going a size down. even if you do wear a neckguard it’s still a lot of risk. 

I have this chest protector (the older version). You can take the entire back off and start from scratch. You need to have an assistant set the Velcro adjustments on the back while you hold the front part where it needs to be. Wear your hockey pants too. This is a wonderful chest protector. I wouldn’t return it just yet. 

it is recommended to wear a collar or dangler with pretty much everything. Keep that in mind. This isn’t going to be a complete miracle where you don’t need either. 

7 hours ago, Peter36 said:

067AFC40-D06A-4A22-B9FB-CABB1C3FDD18.thumb.png.934199af4307f49681a740052cb536a4.png

Here is a picture of the C&A. When I get into my stance with the C&A it doesn’t come up much. Should I return it and look into a different unit? I have tried to adjust it.

Peter you certainly should be taking a look at another unit, or have someone at the shop help you adjust it per Taco’s comments above.

Where did you buy this, the shop should have provided you better support from the get go ?

2 hours ago, Big2 said:

Peter you certainly should be taking a look at another unit, or have someone at the shop help you adjust it per Taco’s comments above.

Where did you buy this, the shop should have provided you better support from the get go ?

I unfortunately have to order everything only without trying it on. There is only one store where I live and they only carry bauer.

4 hours ago, Taco said:

I have this chest protector (the older version). You can take the entire back off and start from scratch. You need to have an assistant set the Velcro adjustments on the back while you hold the front part where it needs to be. Wear your hockey pants too. This is a wonderful chest protector. I wouldn’t return it just yet. 

it is recommended to wear a collar or dangler with pretty much everything. Keep that in mind. This isn’t going to be a complete miracle where you don’t need either. 

There are no velcro adjustments

2 hours ago, Peter36 said:

I unfortunately have to order everything only without trying it on. There is only one store where I live and they only carry bauer.

Peter

Im sorry but that not a good situation - I certainty don’t like ordering anything for my son without having him try it on or demo the product.

Are you able to return it ? If you are I would recommend you do that and go and try out the Bauer too bad I like the Vaughn SLR unit and have tried to push my son into that CA but if I remember properly not too many adjustments?

One last option would be to get it modified by someone ?

1 hour ago, Taco said:

No Velcro?? Is that the pro or Sr version? Sr one has ties. I was speaking for the pro version. I’d be curious to see a pic of the back. 

Looks blue which would be the Sr version at retail. I also had the pro version and you are completely right about the adjustment on it. I had a lot of overlap on the Velcro tabs when I got it to sit high enough up for me. I forget if there is any other straps on the Sr version other than the laces

@Peter36 so assuming this is the one you've got (and for all of our reference), the highest you could make it would be to line up the eyelets on the floaters and the shoulder ones (middle layer) with the set of eyelets lowest down on the back piece.

If it hangs that low with it set up in that position, I would look into a model with a bit more adjustment, which may mean a pro level (Vaughn Pro Carbon, Bauer 2S, CCM shield etc) not sure about all the senior model adjustment options. But more adjustability will give you more freedom since you don't have the option of trying different models on

Screenshot_20191229-124606_Chrome.jpg

3 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

@Peter36 so assuming this is the one you've got (and for all of our reference), the highest you could make it would be to line up the eyelets on the floaters and the shoulder ones (middle layer) with the set of eyelets lowest down on the back piece.

If it hangs that low with it set up in that position, I would look into a model with a bit more adjustment, which may mean a pro level (Vaughn Pro Carbon, Bauer 2S, CCM shield etc) not sure about all the senior model adjustment options. But more adjustability will give you more freedom since you don't have the option of trying different models on

Screenshot_20191229-124606_Chrome.jpg

I tried every single adjustment type and that was the highest I could get it.

I am not sure if Vaughn C/A designers are sober when they are working. It is really hard to find a kid who is fitting right and safely VE8 Jr (+ many more Vaughn C/A). Neck area is huge, C/A hangs low, if there is some padding around shoulder/clavicle area it is soft but basically there is not and the adjustment choices are between bad and terrible, only two eyelets where you can adjust back part maybe 0.5" . Look how open the clavicle area is.  Find out how Warrior make it and learn!

vaughn-goalie-chest-protector-velocity-v

vaughn-goalie-chest-protector-velocity-v

warrior-goalie-chest-protector-ritual-gt

Archived