Covid-19 – The Steps Back to the Ice

Colander

Hi all:

I have seen over the past week or two people talking about getting back on the ice in the coming weeks. I am interested in what people are seeing, have heard or believe this will look like, specifically for the beer-league/shinny guys.

I have heard talk of training camps with low numbers and the participants showing up with equipment on sans skates (let’s see a goalie drive to the rink like that…) I am assuming no showers, limitations on change room capacity, possibly limited number of people on the benches, full cages or face shield?

Let me know what you have heard, experienced and what you think…

Thx

The restrictions vary depending on the rink. At the rink closest to me goalies have to come full dressed excluding gloves, leg pads, skates, and helmet. At another you can show up as you normally would before the rinks shut down. I would suggest calling the rink to ask what they require

I think it's relative to where you live.

Here in Canada, only a few rinks are allowing people on under strict rules:

- No dressing room acces
- No showers
- No public
- 5 limited on the ice at a time
- Minor league associations only (for now).

the ASHL which is the largest private beer league organization in Canada is pretty much shut down for the summer for now. With how much of a mess Ontario and Quebec are compared to the rest of Canada, it'll be a while before they open too.

It's weird seeing the USA open everything up in comparison though. Canada has had less confirmed Covid cases than the US has had in deaths from the virus (91,000 Vs. 100,000+).

I am jealous that you guys are getting ice, but I feel like who's arenas should be opening is the complete opposite.

For our beer league, we started with pickups/drop-ins with a limited number of participants a couple weeks ago. We eased into it with a week of 3-on-3 "games" with no more than 5 people per side, with a face covering required on the ice. Now we are back to 5-on-5, but no more than 10 people total per side, face covering suggested but not required while on the ice. You need to wear a mask walking into the rink and while getting dressed/undressed, and you are requested to wipe down your equipment with a clorox wipe or something similar before you show up. Other restrictions:

No locker rooms - the rink marked out 6 feet spaces with tape and set up chairs for individuals to dress in at the side of the rink. Come dressed as much as you can. I drive in my underclothes, put my knee pads/cup/pants on in the parking lot, then walk in and put on the rest of my gear.

No showers, no food, no hanging out after the game.

No contact, no grinding in the corners, etc.

No spitting your water out on the bench or the ice.

We also instituted a no slap shots rule for the first month back, because someone getting hurt from a rogue slap shot the first time they're on the ice in 2.5 months sounds awful and no one needs that.

These rules have been pretty successful in their implementation; even the people who are pretty cavalier about covid are following them, because limited hockey is still better than no hockey. I think we are planning to return to a schedule where we play real games with refs and stuff in early July, provided that everything continues to work out.

Thanks for all the responses - interesting to hear what is happening (and hopefully working).

I should have suggested, if people don't mind, stating what general part of the country/continent/world you are describing.

Otherwise, keep the info coming. With any luck, we can get some good ideas of what is working, or not, to help all easing back onto the ice!

I am scheduled to be on the ice June 20 and 27.
The arena I am playing at has the following rules:  Maximum 10 players (including goalies) on the ice, 5 per dressing room.  Arrive no earlier than 15 minutes before, stay no later than 15 minutes after, no showering.

The region I live in has done very well during this situation, definitely helped by our geography.  I live on Vancouver Island, the largest island on the west coast of North America - 12,000 sq miles (32,000 sq km) - with a population of just over 870,000.  We have had a total of 130 cases with 5 deaths.  Yesterday, at the hospital I work at, we discharged our last Covid patient who is now fully recovered.  We now have zero active cases on the Island, and have not had a new confirmed cast on over 3 weeks.

Early on, ferry routes over to the Island were drastically reduced in frequency and capacity, and a large percentage of hotels closed severely limiting the number of people that could come over to the Island.

Edited by Naz

39 minutes ago, Naz said:

The region I live in has done very well during this situation, definitely helped by our geography.  I live on Vancouver Island, the largest island on the west coast of North America - 12,000 sq miles (32,000 sq km) - with a population of just over 870,000.  We have had a total of 130 cases with 5 deaths.  Yesterday, at the hospital I work at, we discharged our last Covid patient who is now fully recovered.  We now have zero active cases on the Island, and have not had a new confirmed cast on over 3 weeks.

Never heard of it. Must be new.

One rink opens back up in August. The private rinks are having pickups tonight, with two of my teams starting back up the week of 6/15. 

I am going to skip a few of those games since I have asthma, and had my baby girl spend 50days in the NICU earlier this year.

Edited by MangoRhinehart

I'm in Toronto, and it's interesting to hear about the rules everyone has been given. Makes you think about what hockey would look like once we're sort of back at it. 

I expect the next time I'll be playing is in the fall when my league (hopefully) starts back up. I missed summer hockey this year and I don't think our weekly shinny group will be making a return.

2 hours ago, creasecollector said:

I'm in Toronto, and it's interesting to hear about the rules everyone has been given. Makes you think about what hockey would look like once we're sort of back at it. 

I expect the next time I'll be playing is in the fall when my league (hopefully) starts back up. I missed summer hockey this year and I don't think our weekly shinny group will be making a return.

Different rules for everyone, some of it makes zero sense since it's hockey, sweat, spit, etc etc. Let's just hope that Ford opens up in July so we can play!

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 11:09 AM, Naz said:

... Maximum 10 players (including goalies) on the ice, ..

Can you clarify:  are you saying the only players there will be the standard compliment on the ice and no one on the benches? I assumed they would limit each bench to say 3 spares. That would allow a good physical distance but still reduce the need for an AED :)

I have heard of a number of places where they say "No one allowed in the stands". Yeah, so status quo with my hockey....I actually saw the Zamboni operator run and cover his eyes to keep from being emotionally scarred when we got on the ice.

Here in central Ohio they opened rinks back up the 1st. I skated last night, I was very stiff on my lower half LOL, ice was GARBAGEEEE had to get suited up in the walkways on benches? Kinda weird, but still had a good time 20 people max. We weren't allowed in till 15 min before the skate and we were allowed 15 to get undressed Legs felt like jello though gotta take it a lil slower next time. Drop ins Start next week here that'll be interesting.

Edited by Smeds35
Added stuff/Grammar?

I received a text from the administrator of my team.  I got invited to a summer team or at least a shinny session.  Only thing is I will need to wait until the rink opens up.  It will be interesting to see how this will look.

I am still hoping that everything will be all cleared up by September/October and we can resume our regularly scheduled ice times.

To anyone currently on ice, stay safe and to those chomping at the bit to be back, also stay safe and keep limber.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 11:22 AM, Colander said:

Can you clarify:  are you saying the only players there will be the standard compliment on the ice and no one on the benches? I assumed they would limit each bench to say 3 spares. That would allow a good physical distance but still reduce the need for an AED :)

I have heard of a number of places where they say "No one allowed in the stands". Yeah, so status quo with my hockey....I actually saw the Zamboni operator run and cover his eyes to keep from being emotionally scarred when we got on the ice.

Yep, maximum 10 players total, 5 allowed per dressing room.

Think we are going to do 3 on 3 with one spare each.