Covid-19 – The Steps Back to the Ice

Colander

2 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

"All Adult Indoor Sports Activities have been cancelled until further notice due to COVID-19."

This is our newest edict as of today in British Columbia.  This wiped out both my hockey and Aqua Fit Classes for now(?).

Well, at least I got to play 2 games already this week............

Wonder, you are in Kelowna are you not?

Do you know any of the Asshats that went to Alberta and fucked it up for the rest of us?  If so, please kick the shit out of them.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

"All Adult Indoor Sports Activities have been cancelled until further notice due to COVID-19."

This is our newest edict as of today in British Columbia.  This wiped out both my hockey and Aqua Fit Classes for now(?).

Well, at least I got to play 2 games already this week............

Well at least I got to play 3 games since March.....and now.. .

Yeah thanks to all who made this (im)possible 🤮

9 minutes ago, Naz said:

Wonder, you are in Kelowna are you not?

Do you know any of the Asshats that went to Alberta and fucked it up for the rest of us?  If so, please kick the shit out of them.

Word around here is that they were a Revelstoke based team, unconfirmed, but would explain the sudden and massive breakout there.

• Like 2

In my league, we were told after the Thanksgiving Break, that it is now mandatory to wear a mask underneath our helmets. I said okay. Apparently the rest of the teams are having a hissy fit about it. Even threatening to leave the rink and take legal action to get their money back. There was even a lot of blow back about not being able to dress in the locker rooms. 

I haven't been able to play since the Monday of Thanksgiving week (based in US) due to how the schedule was created. Our first game back was supposed to be tonight, but it had to be postponed due to lack of players. I believe that a few guys on my team are not happy about having to wear a mask.

On 12/3/2020 at 10:26 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

Because some shit bag old timer team decided to go to Alberta and bring back and infect dozens of people.

Hockey was doing well and skirting under the radar for months.

BC has been trending 2-3 weeks behind Alberta for months now.

NJ shut down indoor sports earlier this month. My kids' rink was still open with the kids now doing clinics rather than practices as there was still training allowed indoors. Some parents were mad. I think they feel that they will get refunds from the rink if its completely shut down. They were boycotting the clinics and crying on the team forums.

Today the rink was shut down completely. It seems that the complainers got to the right people. A reporter from the Philadelphia Inquirer snuck in the rink and took pictures of the kids on the ice. Said that they were still practicing regardless of the state's order.

When did being a tattle tale and getting everything canned become the cool thing? 

22 minutes ago, MTH said:

NJ shut down indoor sports earlier this month. My kids' rink was still open with the kids now doing clinics rather than practices as there was still training allowed indoors. Some parents were mad. I think they feel that they will get refunds from the rink if its completely shut down. They were boycotting the clinics and crying on the team forums.

Today the rink was shut down completely. It seems that the complainers got to the right people. A reporter from the Philadelphia Inquirer snuck in the rink and took pictures of the kids on the ice. Said that they were still practicing regardless of the state's order.

When did being a tattle tale and getting everything canned become the cool thing? 

When did risking the safety of your community in defiance of public health orders becoming acceptable?

I'm no happier about rinks being shut down than anyone else, but people are dying from this thing; COVID is the leading cause of death in the US as of this week. Missing some hockey is a small price to pay if it means keeping people alive.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

When did risking the safety of your community in defiance of public health orders becoming acceptable?

I'm no happier about rinks being shut down than anyone else, but people are dying from this thing; COVID is the leading cause of death in the US as of this week. Missing some hockey is a small price to pay if it means keeping people alive.

Well, I missed 8 months of hockey, got 3 games in and then it all shut down again as per @Wonder35's comment above. Especially at my age I would like (more like need) to get in every game I can and the rinks being shut down is a major disappointment. It's a more bitter pill that it happened largely because a group of turds couldn't keep it in their pants, or in this case, their province.

But that's that hand that's been dealt and I go with it.  The only issue I have with it is a bunch of pussies crying because they have to wear a mask for 5 minutes while going into a store (i.e have consideration for someone other than themselves) and how their civil rights are being abused and this is a big conspiracy and blah blah.

It's a mask for F's sake - no one said you had to strap an 80 lb bag of cement and walk around with it all day - grow a backbone.

Edited by Colander
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Colander said:

Well, I missed 8 months of hockey, got 3 games in and then it all shut down again as per @Wonder35's comment above. Especially at my age I would like (more like need) to get in every game I can and the rinks being shut down is a major disappointment. It's a more bitter pill that it happened largely because a group of turds couldn't keep it in their pants, or in this case, their province.

But that's that hand that's been dealt and I go with it.  The only issue I have with it is a bunch of pussies crying because they have to wear a mask for 5 minutes while going into a store (i.e have consideration for someone other than themselves) and how their civil rights are being abused and this is a big conspiracy and blah blah.

It's a mask for F's sake - no one said you had to strap an 80 lb bag of cement and walk around with it all day - grow a backbone.

I wholeheartedly agree that people who refuse to wear masks "becuz muh frEdumz" are incredibly annoying, and responsible in a significant way for things being far worse than they could have been. Not even touching on how they directly help COVID spread though their communities, they are very much responsible for spineless, cowardly politicians not taking swifter, more substantial action in the first place.

Australia isn't dealing with this shit right now because they focused on driving case numbers down to zero during the first wave, and didn't hesitate to do the same during July when case numbers started rising again.

Not being able to play hockey because other people refuse to rise to the occasion is incredibly frustrating.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

Australia isn't dealing with this shit right now because they focused on driving case numbers down to zero during the first wave, and didn't hesitate to do the same during July when case numbers started rising again.

Not being able to play hockey because other people refuse to rise to the occasion is incredibly frustrating.

Keep in mind too that they're in the middle of summer.

Stricter rule sets plus the ability to go outside for stretches at a time do help push those numbers down. Australia's numbers were high when they were in the middle of winter as well.

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Keep in mind too that they're in the middle of summer.

Stricter rule sets plus the ability to go outside for stretches at a time do help push those numbers down. Australia's numbers were high when they were in the middle of winter as well.

Sure, but their daily case load peaked at 721 back on July 30th, which I'm given to understand is smack dab in the middle of their winter season, and is better than any day Canada has had since early September.

1 hour ago, CJ Boiss said:

Sure, but their daily case load peaked at 721 back on July 30th, which I'm given to understand is smack dab in the middle of their winter season, and is better than any day Canada has had since early September.

True, but everyone back in July was faring a lot better than they are now. Winter or not.

They're also Ocean locked, which comes with distinct advantages.

Not saying that Australia isn't doing it better, but there are other things to consider instead of looking at it on a strict comparison.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RichMan said:

Regular stuff is still on hold. Ottawa has some shinny opportunities but I feel uneasy taking the risk. It's messing with my mind.

I'm fearful of this virus. Had pneumonia several times in my 43 years on Earth. Figure covid will really kick my ass. If I were playing still (retired), I'd likely opt out of playing myself.

As for the rinks - I think the kids dressing outside at their parent's cars and just running on ice clinics with 10 people or less on the rink is fine. (NJ has a 10 person indoor cap) My boys walk in and out of the rink wearing a mask. There are no parents in the rinks. Again, if it bothers you, just don't come. It's way cool. There are a few kids that my boys play with that have opted out. 

It's winter here. My kids need to exercise. Small group skates a few times a week are great. School is closed, no gym class, it's cold outside and dark at 4, so they can only do so much to stay active.

The good part is that their rink re-opened yesterday. We have to sign up for small group clinics online. Hopefully this is fine until it gets better.

On 12/8/2020 at 5:10 AM, CJ Boiss said:

I wholeheartedly agree that people who refuse to wear masks "becuz muh frEdumz" are incredibly annoying, and responsible in a significant way for things being far worse than they could have been. Not even touching on how they directly help COVID spread though their communities, they are very much responsible for spineless, cowardly politicians not taking swifter, more substantial action in the first place.

I hear people say that there are all these people who refuse to wear masks. I've yet to be anywhere in public that masks are required that everyone isn't wearing a mask.

Sure, people complain that wearing a mask sucks, but they all do. 

7 hours ago, MTH said:

I hear people say that there are all these people who refuse to wear masks. I've yet to be anywhere in public that masks are required that everyone isn't wearing a mask.

Sure, people complain that wearing a mask sucks, but they all do. 

I played hockey with A COP in the Detroit area who refused to wear a mask, ever. And there were plenty of other behaviors he exhibited that made me wonder how we give some people positions of authority. 😳

• Like 1