Covid-19 – The Steps Back to the Ice

Colander

So I finally got a chance to hit the ice last night for the first time in 14 months. I was asked to possibly sub last week so I thought I would have time to stretch again and at least hit an open skate to make sure my feet still knew what to do, but life got in the way and I didn't have time to prep at all. Game time was 10:15 last night and it was my first time putting the gear back on, stepping on the ice and playing a full game. I would say it's just like riding a bike but I was quite winded after the first few minutes but we were 1-1 after the first. Fast fwd to the end and we went into the SO 7-7 and ended up losing that one. Not bad for a B level game without any prep time before go time LOL

For a while during the lockdown and awaiting my VAX to kick in, I had actually wondered if I would truly miss playing. Part of me was okay just putting the gear away and focusing more on golf and other hobbies, but once I got to the rink, smelled the locker room and made my first solid save, I was hooked all over again! Damn I missed playing. Missed the hanging with the boys and enjoying a cold one afterwards!

The best part was that I did NOT forget my cup or any other gear like I had in my dreams over the past 14 months. Those nightmares where you can't remember how to suit up or you play with missing gear...LOL

• Like 3

On 5/4/2021 at 12:41 PM, mckinneymagnum said:

The best part was that I did NOT forget my cup or any other gear like I had in my dreams over the past 14 months. Those nightmares where you can't remember how to suit up or you play with missing gear...LOL

I've had that dream too many times. Late, forgot gear, can't dress quick enough. 

Retirement is great. When I have that nightmare I just remember... I'm retired.

2 minutes ago, MTH said:

Sorry to hear. Canada? Shutting back down? I was hoping to get up there this summer for some fishing.

Damn you canucks!

We're currently hoping to get everyone's first dose by July 1st.

We're also putting 16 weeks between doses due to supply issues. I got my first shot two months ago due to a front of the line pass due to my industry. My parents, who are 60, just received their first doses this past weekend.

You may have to wait a bit there.

3 minutes ago, MTH said:

Come on Canada. What year is this? It's not the 90s anymore where Canada was still just getting cable tv.

You guys have cell phones yet?

I'm joking...

Oh we got cell phones. We also have one of the steepest prices world wide for our ability to use such devices. It's like we should be thankful the telecoms allowed us to use their new fangled tech.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, MTH said:

Sorry to hear. Canada? Shutting back down? I was hoping to get up there this summer for some fishing.

Damn you canucks!

Yep. Got to play the night before things shut down again and cherished every minute of it, just like the first and second time we shut down here. 

I wouldn't get your hopes up about coming up for fishing anytime soon. I can't wait to get to go down to the States for some Chick-Fil-A!

On 5/10/2021 at 8:46 PM, insertnamehere said:

Yep. Got to play the night before things shut down again and cherished every minute of it, just like the first and second time we shut down here. 

I wouldn't get your hopes up about coming up for fishing anytime soon. I can't wait to get to go down to the States for some Chick-Fil-A!

I'll meet you at the border and throw some bags of Chick-fil-a over to you.

Honestly, with the lack of border rules here, and the fact that they're begging everyone here to take some vaccines... sounds like you need to make a 2 week trip south. I mean, we're throwing vaccines away here. They now want 12-15 year old kids to get them. I saw that they give vaccines at baseball games to fans.

I say we need to send them north asap. Or just let anyone come down and get some.

14 minutes ago, MTH said:

I say we need to send them north asap. Or just let anyone come down and get some.

There are tons of Canadians that are doing it. Unfortunately our assed government will still force people to take a 2 week quarantine in a hotel for $3,000.

It's absurd. People around me are starting to get their first shots, I had mine back in March and despite being disease free, I'm still holed in with the provincial measures.

Shit, use as a country still don't have a reopening plan.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

There are tons of Canadians that are doing it. Unfortunately our assed government will still force people to take a 2 week quarantine in a hotel for $3,000.

It's absurd. People around me are starting to get their first shots, I had mine back in March and despite being disease free, I'm still holed in with the provincial measures.

Saskatchewan of all places has a roadmap towards reopening phases. 

18 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

That's actually not entirely correct. If crossing at a land border, as long as someone has a suitable quarantine plan (basically a residence without at risk people) you can do your 2 weeks at home. 

Quarantine hotel is for air arrivals and it's only the first few days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, insertnamehere said:

That's actually not entirely correct. If crossing at a land border, as long as someone has a suitable quarantine plan (basically a residence without at risk people) you can do your 2 weeks at home. 

Quarantine hotel is for air arrivals and it's only the first few days. 

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

US CDC today lifted mask rules. But I live in communist New Jersey, so we're wearing them here until at least 2024 I think.

Want to get people to get the vaccine? Lift the mask mandate. What better motivation than not having to wear a mask and be in fear? 

16 hours ago, MTH said:

US CDC today lifted mask rules. But I live in communist New Jersey, so we're wearing them here until at least 2024 I think.

Want to get people to get the vaccine? Lift the mask mandate. What better motivation than not having to wear a mask and be in fear? 

Wasn't there a group in Washington (not sure if the state or DC) that was doing "Joints for Jabs" or something? Get a vaccine, get some free weed. 

31 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

Wasn't there a group in Washington (not sure if the state or DC) that was doing "Joints for Jabs" or something? Get a vaccine, get some free weed. 

Weed for Vaccines: https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/joints-for-jabs-free-marijuana-for-vaccinated-new-yorkers-1.5395534

Doughnuts for Vaccines: https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/krispy-kreme-giving-a-free-doughnut-a-day-in-u-s-to-those-vaccinated-against-covid-19-1.5357626

Beer for Vaccines: https://slate.com/human-interest/2021/05/vaccine-free-beer-bar-covid.html

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

My county is offering a voucher for a shot at any participating bar.  Fuck that, still ain't getting it.  My rink stopped taking temps to enter the rink.  One more step back towards normalcy.

I'm 100% for everyone doing what they want.

No mask, three masks, tattoo of Jose Canseco on your back. All are awesome.

Mask rule was ok before there was a vax for those that wanted it. Now that they're paying people to get it... drop all the mask rules and let's go. Anyone who wants one here has been able to get it for over a month.

The news keeps running stories of people asking "what if people lie and don't have their vaccine and not wearing a mask?" Don't matter to you. Worry about yourself. If you're worried, wear a mask still. It's not illegal to wear a mask. It's going to be odd walking into a store without a mask on for a while.

My wife's job just told them today that they no longer need to wear masks indoors. She's in NJ. She's been vaccinated since Dec/Jan. 

I come here to get away from all the bullshit back and forth I see on my Facebook feed.  I'd imagine it's the same for most of you.

A reminder to all, please stick to the subject at hand.  In case you need a reminder, this thread covers Covid and how it has affected your hockey situation.

Lectures and/or 'vacations' will be given out to non-compliant individuals.

20 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I come here to get away from all the bullshit back and forth I see on my Facebook feed.  I'd imagine it's the same for most of you.

A reminder to all, please stick to the subject at hand.  In case you need a reminder, this thread covers Covid and how it has affected your hockey situation.

Lectures and/or 'vacations' will be given out to non-compliant individuals.

Agreed that I don't come here for politics or worldviews, but I would appreciate the freedom for forum members to start their own on-topic thread to continue discussion.  This particular topic is difficult to hardline with other topics.  There are people here who have given up playing and others that have never stopped playing.  That in itself will cause underlying drama and opinions of each other as individual views of what this period in time truly is and how we've reacted so far.  I wouldn't want to go to another social media platform to try and find a continuation of discussion.  These are all real people/goalies trying to make a point, and I don't want to sift through a Twitter or Facebook(I don't have either).  This did get off topic, but please let that debate continue elsewhere, should the duelers choose to do so.  If you read all this, thanks for reading.

2 minutes ago, MangoRhinehart said:

I have about two weeks to get in game shape, mostly been doing squats to keep fitness level somewhat up to date, any other dryland activities to suggest?

Dryland training? You crazy. 

I'm planning on the trial by fire route. There may be a chance I leave the rink in an ambulance.

• Haha 2