Covid-19 – The Steps Back to the Ice

Colander

Just now, MangoRhinehart said:

I mean I have two weeks to get ready, so its better than watching my stories and eating bonbons

Any kind of resistance band work for the hips (clam shells, monster walks, etc)

RDLs

Glute bridges (dual and single leg)

Yoga

Hip mobility stuff!  Hip controlled articular rotations, PNF 90-90 hip stretch

On 5/18/2021 at 1:20 AM, Chenner29 said:

I come here to get away from all the bullshit back and forth I see on my Facebook feed.  I'd imagine it's the same for most of you.

A reminder to all, please stick to the subject at hand.  In case you need a reminder, this thread covers Covid and how it has affected your hockey situation.

Lectures and/or 'vacations' will be given out to non-compliant individuals.

Good advise, taking some of my notes I see ;) 

lol just kidding!

2 hours ago, MangoRhinehart said:

Anyone got tips on wearing a mask under the mask? CCM ones any good?

I have about two weeks to get in game shape, mostly been doing squats to keep fitness level somewhat up to date, any other dryland activities to suggest?

I would just stretch to try and keep and/or marginally improve any flexibilty you have in the coming weeks. 

Last season we only got to play from Aug-Oct then they banned contact sports in Switzerland for people over 16 (my 14 year old could train the whole season, but no games). It's been pretty tough with no hockey for me, I've played the last 25 years without missing a season, and I'm 50 so it's half my life. I've taken up jogging and working out at home to compensate, but it's not the same. Actually, I blew my knees out now after running 30k a week for a few months. So now I'm just stuck doing upper body stuff. I really hope they allow us a regular season in Sept. Or at least regular ice trainings. The restrictions/lockdowns are taking mental/physical tolls on people that they fail to show in the COVID curve charts.

23 hours ago, MangoRhinehart said:

Anyone got tips on wearing a mask under the mask? CCM ones any good?

I have about two weeks to get in game shape, mostly been doing squats to keep fitness level somewhat up to date, any other dryland activities to suggest?

I touched on this... somewhere on here...

I used the CCM Game On goalie version for a number of months without issue. It was the best of the bunch I tried for sure. Its made of a neoprene-ish material so it doesn't seem to really soak up water. Also touches the bridge of your nose before moving out to the cage so it doesn't fit right over your mouth (if you are of the claustrophobic nature). The only "issue" I ever experienced was that I had to flip my lid up to take a drink.

23 hours ago, estogoalie said:

I blew my knees out now after running 30k a week for a few months. 

30k is some nice work. Sorry about your knees.

As much as I should run, I don't. But my knees and my hips don't hurt anymore. I would struggle to sleep after games for two days due to the intense pain in my knees.

6 hours ago, MTH said:

30k is some nice work. Sorry about your knees.

As much as I should run, I don't. But my knees and my hips don't hurt anymore. I would struggle to sleep after games for two days due to the intense pain in my knees.

I'm not really big into running, I started a little during the lockdown because there was nothing else to do.

My 14 year old could still have training 3x per week, so while he was on the ice, instead of sitting in the car and waiting (parents not allowed in the rink anymore), I would go jogging, I'd do about 10k in one hour. 3x per week. But I think my knees weren't ready for that :/ ...and I thought goaltending was rough on the knees... maybe I'll try biking instead..

*edit*

My son had some knee issues a few months ago, and the doctor gave him these knee braces. He doesn't need them anymore, so I tried them a few hours today, and WOW, I don't know what voodoo is in there, but my knees felt REALLY good REALLY fast. I'm gonna wear these MF's every day now.

Edited by estogoalie

I just bought a pair of Hoka One One shoes. My wife runs marathons, so I'm going to try to keep up with her.

HOKA ONE ONE® Clifton 7 for Men | HOKA ONE ONE®

This picture is from their site. Maybe not use sasquatch as a model. Jesus.

Edited by MTH
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, MTH said:

I just bought a pair of Hoka One One shoes. My wife runs marathons, so I'm going to try to keep up with her.

HOKA ONE ONE® Clifton 7 for Men | HOKA ONE ONE®

This picture is from their site. Maybe not use sasquatch as a

Edited by Scythe
n/a

With the number of people who have been vaccinated growing to a pretty strong majority here, we have been able to play without a mask if you are vaccinated.  I did a couple games as skater and as goalie while using the CCM masks, and both were pretty bearable.  But I am glad to put them away now, and hope that we stay on this course now.

29 minutes ago, estogoalie said:

Switzerland is green-lighting indoor sports for adults starting Monday, so looks like we can play roller hockey this summer. But my knees are still too busted up from jogging, so not sure if I can manage it. How's that for irony?

Sounds like you need a bike or an elliptical lol

6 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Must suck to have to wear a mask to play.  Even in this liberal shithole of NY we don't have to wear a mask to play.  Just to enter the building and get to the locker room.

it was like that in california for a bit, i always wore one just to put it under my chin, so they know i have one but i’m not using it LOL, what’s the point anyways?

16 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

it was like that in california for a bit, i always wore one just to put it under my chin, so they know i have one but i’m not using it LOL, what’s the point anyways?

The refs in my league all still wear neck gators and use push button whistles.  They leave the gators down during play and put them up for faceoffs, getting pucks from the goalies, and breaking up scrums, etc.  

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

The refs in my league all still wear neck gators and use push button whistles.  They leave the gators down during play and put them up for faceoffs, getting pucks from the goalies, and breaking up scrums, etc.  

That's a somewhat sensible way to use it imo. I think wearing it 100% of the time is ridiculous.

Edited by southpawtendy48

Hockey is coming back to Alberta in a few weeks or so. 

Pretty excited, and i've been keeping in shape (run 5km everyday, do some HIIT, and lots of callisthenic exercises daily). 

One big issue is ... I sold my pads a couple of weeks ago, so uhhhhhhh