Covid-19 – The Steps Back to the Ice

Colander

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Just remember, when you do join a new team, there's a reason they're looking for a goalie. ;)

My most recent experience with that ended with shots on goalie 56-14 and a 6-1 score with me laying on the floor of the locker room struggling to breathe. 

Not fun.

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/21/2021 at 9:45 PM, Mike24 said:

Is this the sign to give it another go round? I’m not trying to be Brett Favre but I’m starting to feel like the world is saying F it go for it.  

Depends, are you sending pics of your junk to people? Playing some touch football in your Wranglers and copper fit geear? If not, then you ain't Brett.

• Haha 3

On 3/22/2021 at 9:25 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

Just remember, when you do join a new team, there's a reason they're looking for a goalie. ;)

I joined a new team when the league started back up in our area, and the team now has its first two wins in two and a half seasons. Feels pretty good - last one was a 3-1 win where we were outshot 31-18 (officially, but the scorekeeper misses at least 25% of the shots on each side looking at their phone the whole game).

On 3/22/2021 at 10:25 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

well, in my team's case we looked for a new goalie because I retired and am skating out only.  Started in net at 40 and now turning 50 and my knees are just too banged up to play.  So it's not always the team's fault.  

There are 5 rinks here. 3 offer pick up game sessions.  1 of the three stopped the skates while the other 2 kept them going.  So basically i never stopped playing throughout this pandemic. 1 of the rinks now doesn't even care if you wear a paper mask or not. 

Is anyone here undecided about getting the shot? 

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Don't think anyone should be too concerned about getting the shot. I had my first one a week ago and so far the only side effect is that my dick got even bigger.

On a scale of John Bobbitt-to-Boogie Nights, I’m Mark Wahlberg’s stunt double, so not sure I’ll have that same result. But good for you, having room to grow!

• Haha 1

Well I'm finally cracking in my no-playing-hockey-with-a-face-mask rebellion.  My normal Tuesday pick-up game has been running for a couple of weeks now and they've had 2 goalies without me.  Tomorrow there are down 1 goalie and in light of this being a good time for me between tattoo sessions, I am going to give it a go.

I picked up one of the CCM goalie face masks.  It's a pretty clever design (although it looks like a crotch pastie for ladies).  I like how it does not cover the mouth and stays in place just on the nose, but, I do not like how it blocks downward vision.  I imagine down on the ice trying to cover or gather a puck with my gloves and doing it blindly if the puck is close enough to me.  Or, being on my skates and having a puck below me at my skates and struggling to see it when looking down.  

So, for now I found a way to reduce the vision blocking and pull it down a bit with some skate laces.  It still stays on tip of my nose but is pulled down away from my eyes and the top of my nose, which was my goal.  We shall see how it goes. 

ccm-goalie-accessories-game-on-goalie-face-mask.jpg

2020ccm_game_on_mask-goalie_social-2.png

2020ccm_game_on_mask-goalie_social-3.png

20210329_104211.jpg

20210329_104234.jpg

20210329_105650.jpg

20210329_105714.jpg

20210329_105816.jpg

Edited by seagoal

14 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I picked up one of the CCM goalie face masks.  It's a pretty clever design (although it looks like a crotch pastie for ladies).  I like how it does not cover the mouth and stays in place just on the nose, but, I do not like how it blocks downward vision.  I imagine down on the ice trying to cover or gather a puck with my gloves and doing it blindly if the puck is close enough to me.  Or, being on my skates and having a puck below me at my skates and struggling to see it when looking down.  

WTF, CCM actually produced an ad with the mask sitting that poorly?

4 minutes ago, seagoal said:

You mean the goal mask, not the face mask, right?

yup, the goal mask.  In the side view, he is looking through the bars one level down from where it should be sitting.  He looks like every WHL goalie from a few years back in their ill-fitting Bauer masks

Edited by Naz

Just now, Naz said:

yup, the goal mask.  In the side view, he is looking through the bars one level down from where it should be sitting.  He looks like every WHL goalie from a few years back in their ill-fitting Bauer masks

ah, yeah.  He's looking straight through the mouth part on the side view, but it looks like it fits differently in the head on view. Good Catch.

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

Well I'm finally cracking in my no-playing-hockey-with-a-face-mask rebellion.  My normal Tuesday pick-up game has been running for a couple of weeks now and they've had 2 goalies without me.  Tomorrow there are down 1 goalie and in light of this being a good time for me between tattoo sessions, I am going to give it a go.

So, for now I found a way to reduce the vision blocking and pull it down a bit with some skate laces.  It still stays on tip of my nose but is pulled down away from my eyes and the top of my nose, which was my goal.  We shall see how it goes. 

2020ccm_game_on_mask-goalie_social-2.png

20210329_104211.jpg

20210329_104234.jpg

20210329_105650.jpg

20210329_105714.jpg

20210329_105816.jpg

I spy a Deschutes Brewery FRwsh Squeeze IPA plaque! Pretty sweet, bruh.

WRT sitting-too-high goalie mask, might it not be to show how the Covid mask fits...? Other products ads - chocolate bars, burgers, whatever - never have people holding the product naturally; it’s always to show off the product 

6 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I spy a Deschutes Brewery FRwsh Squeeze IPA plaque! Pretty sweet, bruh.

WRT sitting-too-high goalie mask, might it not be to show how the Covid mask fits...? Other products ads - chocolate bars, burgers, whatever - never have people holding the product naturally; it’s always to show off the product 

Thanks .  This is our basement that we turned into a pub...but these days is my work from home office.  

I'm surprised you know it.  You guys get it up there? It's a pretty damn tasty beer.

Edited by seagoal

6 minutes ago, chile57 said:

Glad you're going to give it a go. Hopefully you'll find that the "Game On" mask isn't the absolute worst possible thing in the whole wide world once you're on the ice. Good luck.

I definitely won't think that, only that it's unnecessary and practically speaking, annoying.  I'm not a mask flipper upper at all and having to flip up to drink water will be annoying.  I like to spray my face with water too and won't be doing that. 

So basically water related annoyance will be the issue.

Edited by seagoal